main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Beating the new CD protection

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SoulKrusher, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    YES, it is possible to beat the CD protection now coming out on most CD's. ie The Attack of the Clones Sountrack. For obvious reasons I can't post it here, but I do OWN a copy of AOTC and was playing around with the idea and then I hit the jackpot and discovered how to get around it. You won't believe how easy it is.

But first let me talk a little about this NEW technolgy, just so everyone knows more about it.

Sony's proprietary technology, deployed on many recent releases, works by adding a track to the copy-protected disc that contains bogus data. Because computer hard drives are programmed to read data files first, the computer will continuously try to play the bogus track first. It never gets to play the music tracks located elsewhere on the compact disc. The effect is that the copy-protected disc will play on standard CD players but not on computer CD-ROM drives, some portable devices, and even some car stereo systems.

Just from reading that it doesnt take much thought to guess what I did. Here's hint for you all:

Erase me from the Outer Rim

"AND DO REMEMBER PEOPLE, PLEASE RESPECT THIS NEW TECHNOLGY AND BUY YOUR OWN CD'S"

2. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    What's the point of having this "new technology" if the actual CD itself won't work in half your stereo systems? That's just inviting people to "crack" it so they can listen to the CDs in their cars etc!

3. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Exactly!

The idea is to stop people from burning CD's. Well I guess that idea is bunged now.

Like Ive said before "Where thers a will, thers a way"

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    And where there's a Will, there's a bunch of greedy relatives :)
    So what you're saying is that the CD wont play in a CD-Rom drive??? Cos that's all I've played my soundtrack in!!

5. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Doesn't bother me. When I listen to music on my PC, it's usually via the turntables and/or CDJ CD players I've got running in t my soundcard. :)

6. DavidTBrookes

DavidTBrookes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    What are you talking about? I didn't have any problems playing it on my cheap Aopen 40X CDROM Drive under Winamp and I didn't have any problems ripping Track 2 - Across the Stars to MP3 format so I can play it with the rest of my favourite songs onto my PC.

7. Clone_Magician

Clone_Magician Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Of course, the whole issue is moot anyway, seeing as the soundtrack was downloadable a month before it's release.

I will buy the disc though, if only to have a complete collection.

8. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I did say SOME CD devices.
    ie. I know Sony and Pioneer don't work, however my Rytoe drive does.

Am I allowed to post how to get around it anyway, please, I'm itchin to tell, admin's, someone?

9. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    No, bubs, you're not. Even this thread is VERY close to the edge.

10. Dingbat

Dingbat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2001
    Good call Shara ;)

I really hate this kind of copy protection. The people who really want to pirate these cd's as always have found a (rather surprisingly simple) way around the problem. Yet Joe Blow who just wants to listen to a CD on his computer can't! It seems the legitamate buyers are the one's being punished not the piraters.

11. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Its okay I wasnt going to, I'm not that much of a bad boy. :cool:

I had to buy another copy of AOTC soundtrack (a different cover one) because the "fix" applied to my other CD is ruined. So now I own TWO AOTC cd's, one fixed and one not. :D

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    My COMPAQ brand CD-ROM's doesn't read my Episode 2 soundtrack either. It just sits there loading it's guts out yet it works on my car CD- Player.

13. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    It's funny... Lucasfilm said more concentrating on the film this time and less on the merchandising, yet any collector in the United States who wants to be sure of getting all the copies of the soundtrack will have to buy 12!!! Yes folks that's right 12!!!
    There are the 4 different covers as standard, then one of the chain stores has the 4 different covers with an extra track on the cd, and Walmart (from memory) has the soundtrack with a bonus screensaver..and 4 covers again.

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm just wondering if I can get it on vinyl like I did with TPM. I'll probably get it on CD at some point too but that double LP with the cover and vinyl designs was awesome.

15. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    What about the mob in the UK (?) you got TPM from? Or have they disappeared?

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    They're still they're but it's not in their catalogue. TPM wasn't until a while after the movie came out though so it may be a similar wait. I might send them an email and see if they're getting it in and try a few other online places as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.