main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Beautiful Day (Dooku, Qui-Gon, and a trip to the beach...)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Star-Foozle, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Title: Beautiful Day
    Author: Star-Foozle
    Genre: Vignette.
    Characters: Dooku and Qui-Gon.
    Timeframe: Pre-JA, during Qui-Gon's Padawanhood.
    Author's Notes: This was written for my brilliant Master, Charmisjess. The title's from a U2 song. Besides that, it's mostly fluff. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Master Dooku, for once, is relaxing.

He is reclining in a beach chair beneath an umbrella, watching the waves roll in. A half-completed mission report rests on a towel beside him. Negotiations had been surprisingly easy this time, and with both parties satisfied, the pair of Jedi sent to oversee the mission have a day or two of free time before their transport arrives.

On a whim, Dooku decided to take his apprentice to the beach this afternoon. He himself is usually not overfond of this particular type of shoreline. There are always a number of noisy young ones scampering about, and sand is really not his thing. His skin also has the unfortunate tendency to turn bright red with any sort of prolonged exposure to the sun, which he finds most unbecoming. For now, though, he is content to lurk in the shade, glancing up from time to time to make sure that Qui-Gon hasn?t gotten himself into trouble.

Jinn, on the other hand, seems to be enjoying the excursion immensely, and is playing with the local children down by the waterline. The teen has stripped down to his pants and stands knee-deep in the surf, tossing a ball back and forth to the pack of younglings who have taken to following him around. One of them throws the ball too far, overshooting her target, and the Padawan dives into an oncoming breaker to retrieve it. He emerges soaked and laughing, and Dooku smiles. Typical Qui-Gon.

Several minutes pass, and the boy wanders up the strand to flop down on the towel next to his Master. Dooku gives him a sidelong glance.

?Qui-Gon, please try not to drip on the mission log.?

Apologetically, the apprentice scoots away from the item in question.

?Sorry, Master. The water?s really nice.? He rubs briefly at his arm, dislodging the salt crystals already starting to form there. ?The salinity, though, takes a little getting used to. It?s definitely not the most pleasant thing to get a mouthful of. But you wouldn?t believe how many different kinds of animals live here! Earlier, there were these yellow fish that kept jumping through the waves, and a sort of small clam that change colors when you touch them?? He trails off, enthralled by his own discoveries.

?Stars, child,? says Dooku. ?One would think you?ve never been to the beach before.?

?Actually, I haven?t. This is the first time I?ve visited an ocean.? Qui-Gon looks off towards the horizon. ?I like it here. There?s something about the way the Force flows?all of this life, just moving with the tides. It?s steadying, in a way.?

Dooku considers this. There is a sort of natural difference in the energy that he?s noted but never really thought about before. Whether it has to do with lifeforms, as Qui-Gon said, or chemistry, or something else entirely, he doesn?t know. But it is, actually, pleasant. He can?t seem to stay irritated at the children down the beach, or even at the persistence of the sand.

Qui-Gon examines his own shoulders critically.

?Hmm. I should probably get out of the sun for a while. I don?t want to get burned.?

The older Jedi frowns at the pink already beginning to show along his student?s back.

?A wise idea, Padawan, but your observation appears to be a bit late. I believe there?s burn-salve in our current lodgings, should you need it. Go on and head back. I will join you later.?

As the boy walks away, Dooku picks up the mission log, intending to work on the report before he goes indoors again. He taps the stylus idly against the datapad, but he can?t seem to think of anything to write. Gazing at the sea, he is suddenly struck by how brightly blue it is.

It?s been a while since he?s gone for a walk on the beach simply because he felt like it. Dooku gl

chocolatejawa likes this.
  2. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= Cute little story!
    I liked it very much!

3. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    Aww, how adorable.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww, that was lovely.

I'm glad Qui-Gon could help Dooku appreciate the beauty of the beach.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    awww...purty

6. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Aww, cute fluff!

Dooku and beaches are a fun combination. Maybe if he gets far enough off from the kids running around, he'll listen to a shell. :)

I love the clam that changes color.

And between you and Charm, I am really starting to wonder if Dooku needs a few lessons in sunscreen! If only for the sake of his padawan. ;) I assume Anakin's got enough sense and/or past exposure to cope well with the sun... do you think taunting Dooku with the fact would help?

Although, with the barefoot walk at the end of the story, I am not sure I believe Dooku about not liking sand. ;)

Wet sand is the best.

7. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Lovely moment. It's good to know that even a master can learn from his apprentice on occassion. :)

8. Star-Foozle

Aug 24, 2006
    Fifilla: Thanks so much! :)

Dances! Thanks for the comment. It's good too see you here in Before again!

KELIA: I'm glad you liked it. :D

palpyisgod2: Thank you! :)

P_K: Eee, thank you! Dooku and shells are certainly a good combination, too. Taunting him about the sunscreen, though, might lead to disaster. :p And yay for sand.

Itacha-Uchida: Well-said. Thanks for commenting!

9. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Awwwwwwww such wonderful mushy story, I really enjoyed it very much! Just what I needed after my last few days in the hospital.

[face_love][face_love][face_love]

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaaah, that's such a nice little interlude between the two. They're more or a guardian-ward pair than father-and-son. But leave it to Qui-Gon to soften up Dooku a little :) even if he isn't there to see his master barefoot in the sand.

11. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    aww that was cute. You should write more like these.

12. Star-Foozle

Aug 24, 2006
    Jinngerbread: Thank you, and I hope you're feeling better!

ardavenport: I'm glad you liked it! :D

JediKaren: Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.