main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Beautiful Flying - Quotations Roulette - Non-SW Movie Version, Star by Star AU, OC's (Updated 4/11)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Rike, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh nice, exciting update Rike! Love the action...and his little thoughts...and this line: I think these guys redefine the term ?ugly?, LOL! Very good!

Need.More.NOW!!!

2. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Great action sequences Rike!

Hopefully Julius is alright and isn't just putting on a brave face...

3. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Enjoyed the Commandos with their chant of ?all the way? and getting the response of ?Ribbit.?
    Good work by Sergeant Libi as with his size and weight he could easily have done some damage to Tix.

Also enjoyed the more normal response by Tix to getting blown through the air?i.e. ?Thud!?

Shame about Shultz, all that way with him slowing them down only for him to get killed. Need better chest armour.

Liked Tix?s fighting style, nice and bouncy. Noticed he was using a vibrosword though it said in Part 2 that they were required to have normal swords.
    Are they carrying Vibroswords and normal swords or is it they just can?t switch the ?vibro? (which increases the cutting power by oscillating the cutting edge) on when they get too close to the objective for some reason?

Also liked that Tix got a Yuzzhan Vong shot down onto by the helpful commandos.

Hope Julius survives, he?s strong and fairly young so he might have a chance. Can imagine him as a grizzled Sergeant Major at a training camp telling new recruits to shoot the enemy when he?s down, and then shoot him some more, and then shove a thermal detonator up his ?make sure of the kill Sithdammit!

Liked the comment about the relationship between Rybeese males and females and how strange that made the human habits of ship naming.

4. Jedi_Rike

Jedi_Rike Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2006
    Healer Leona ? I?m glad that it was exciting. This is actually relatively calm compared to a few of the RPGs that I used to do. :eek:

VaderLVR64 ? Again, exciting is what I was trying to aim for. :)

Amidalachick ? Thank you for the compliment about the action scenes. When I was writing them (specifically the melee combat) I pulled out some of my old fencing gear and then ?acted? out the sequence to get it right.

Mavjade ? Yup, and I figured that Tix would help that warrior with his ugliness problem. [face_devil] And yes, Tix was in quite a hurry there. Hopefully it was fast enough.

Padawan Lunetta ? I?m glad that you like the action. I am always a little nervous on the blaster combat, as it is a little bit harder to visualize the sequence of events, but as I mentioned, I did fencing for about 5 years, so the melee combat I have down to a science. I might even have to stick in a scene where Tix watches Malcom do some saber combat. [face_dancing]

Correllian Ale ? I have to say, Julius seems to have become a post favorite. Originally he was just supposed to be a minor supporting character, but I may have to rethink that. If he survives that is?

JM - When I explained what a Rybet was a few years ago to a friend, his response was ?Oh, so it is like a frog?? and it pretty much just spun out of control from there.

Glad you like how Tix hit the ground. Like I said in the post, so often do falls seem to do nothing to people, so I wanted this to mess Tix up a bit.

As for the whole Vibrosword part, it will pretty much be explained in Part 4, but you are correct in seeing that I did write down both. It is specifically the commando team that has normal swords, while Tix has a Vibrosword because with his less then human strength, he needs that slight extra edge to be able to be effective.

Actually, part of the inspiration for Julius was Johnson from Halo and Halo 2, so your description of continuing to blast them on the ground isn?t too far off. I also visualized a bit of the Sergeant Major from ?We were Soldiers?.

I really enjoyed it when I discovered that fact about Rybeese Males and Females.

Sorry about not getting the post up over the weekend. I ended up getting slammed with 2 Tests, a Quiz, and a significant homework assignment due. I have all of Part 4 outlined and about half done, so before Friday if everything goes the way I want it to. Because you all have been so patient with the space between my updates, I?m going to go ahead and give a sneak peak for the next post.

As the skiff dropped into a free-fall, I slowly started to count down from ten. At count three, I reactivated the repulsor engine and pulled sharply back on the control stick. At count one, the engines groaned in protest as they torn the skiff out of its fall. I winced slightly as I heard the bottom scrape against the ground. I activated the forward controls and the skiff shot off like a projectile from an old ballistic weapon. I glanced behind me and a sense of satisfaction filled me as I watched one of the Yuuzhen Vong skiff-analogs slam head first into the ground and crumple under its combined weight and momentum. I was slightly more impressed when the second skiff managed to pull out of the dive successfully and resumed its pursuit.

It takes nerves of steel to stay fully functional in the midst of a battle. It takes more to remain completely in control as three razor-bugs skim just a few centimeters away from your head. I?ll admit that I flinched and that during that flinch I may have accidentally bumped the controls and sent the side of the skiff scrapping against the wall that was just a few meters away. But the recovery was flawless. It was then that I turned back to look forward to see, to my horror that the razor-bugs had turned around and were now headed straight towards my head.

And I promise that I'll have the next full post by Friday. I have a bet with my beta that I can in fact, resume playing World of Warcraft an

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ?I know! So I got turned around a bit, so what? Just drop it,? Malcom spat as he turned around and took off in the correct direction.

[face_laugh] Maybe the place has strange gravity, and he got confused...yeah, that's it. :p

Great action scenes. :cool: Except for poor Julius!

6. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    JadeSolo - Yeah, Malcom is one of those action first, think later Jedi Guardian types. Glad that you enjoyed the action scenes and Julius might just be the most popular character in the story at the moment.

Anyway, sorry that I missed my own given deadline. I got slammed with the realization that I have my semester paper for Political Science 320 due on Thursday and I haven't even begun it. I am also suffering from a tremendous case of writers block attacking me on the converting notes/outline into actual sentences. I know what I want to have happen, I am just having issues getting it to happen. Hopefully DWB can be slain before too much longer and I can get the update posted.

Rike

7. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    Bump up so it is easy for me to find when I get the chapter back from my Beta. Should be up in no too long from now. Whenever I get it back and he said he was in the process of reading it over.

8. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    Well, here is it. Straight from the beta.

Again sorry that it took so long. Good news is that the next part is already more then half complete, so I should be able to get it up soon.

How about we discover what the Purifying Wind is. Here it is, Part 4.

I don?t really claim to be an expert on what the Force is, what it does, how it works. Heck, I?m not even sure that I even understand some of the basic principles behind it. I just know that there are people out there who are more in touch with it than I. So to say that it was the Force that instilled such a sense of urgency within me might be an entirely accurate statement. Then again, it could just be my bitterness over what just happened to Julius and my desire to get revenge for him. Either way, I was in a hurry.

Normally, if I found myself deep in enemy held territory, completely out gunned, out numbered, and surrounded, I would do my absolute best to avoid detection or alerting the enemy to my presence. Yeah, that didn?t really happen.

I had been pushing the skiff to just shy of its maximum for several minutes with the two commandos manning the mounted weapon emplacements, picking off as many warriors as they could as we went screaming by. I was doing my best to avoid smashing into any walls, while trying to lay out a map of the worldship in my mind.

I figured that we were only about five minutes from the objective, which meant that the teams must have reached it by now. I?m not exactly sure why, but that thought that they were there and I was not filled me with such a sense of dread, that it caused me to push the skiff even faster.

The first indication that we had picked up a tail, was when one of the commandos started firing behind us at a skiff-analog that had caught up. I immediately turned the skiff to the right and took off down a side corridor.

The thing about this corridor is that we only had about an arm length?s worth of clearance on either side. Now for a human pilot, that would be a decent amount of room, but for a Rybeese pilot, our arm lengths are about half that of a human. Granted, that was still more then enough room for me. Unfortunately for them, it was not enough for the Yuuzhen Vong.

I glanced behind me to see the skiff-analog catch a slight outcropping on the corridor and spin the back of it around into the wall, causing it to crumple in between the two passage sides. I then turned the skiff onto a corridor running parallel to the main one that I had turned off of.

We weren?t alone for long before two more skiff-analogs dropped in behind us and were able to stick with me surprisingly well. I then noticed that ahead of us, what could only be described as a drop off from a cartoon appeared. The corridor literally just suddenly dropped off the face of a cliff, opening into a massive cavern.

So I did what any normal and sane pilot would do. I increased my speed even more and shouted for the commandos to grab onto something. With a grin on my face, I took the skiff over the edge of the cliff and cut the power to the repulsor engines and glided through the air.

As the skiff dropped into a free-fall, I slowly started to count down from ten. At count three, I reactivated the repulsor engine and pulled sharply back on the control stick. At count one, the engines groaned in protest as they tore the skiff out of its fall. I winced slightly as I heard the bottom scrape against the ground. I activated the forward controls and the skiff shot off like a projectile from an old ballistic weapon. I glanced behind me and a sense of satisfaction filled me as I watched one of the Yuuzhen Vong skiff-analogs slam head first into the ground and crumple under its combined weight and momentum. I was slightly more impressed when the second skiff managed to pull out of the dive successfully and resumed its pursuit.

It takes nerves of steel to stay fully functional in the midst of a battle. It takes more to remain completely in control as three razor-bugs skim just a few centimeters away from your head.

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ?Sir, remember those red blurs that went streaking by your head and struck those two warriors who were about to impale you with their amphi-staffs? Yeah, that was us.? One of the two snipers replied with a slight smirk on his face.

Ha! Those guys are good at what they do. :cool:

I hope Malcolm's going to be okay. :( Loved the skiff action - maybe Tix is starting to like free-falls. [face_laugh]

10. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    So I did what any normal and sane pilot would do. I increased my speed even more and shouted for the commandos to grab onto something. With a grin on my face, I took the skiff over the edge of the cliff and cut the power to the repulsor engines and glided through the air.

Now that is some beautiful flying. :cool:

Once again, I applaud your action-writing skills. That skiff chase was incredible!

Your characters are also great. I love the little touches of humor in Tix's narration. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Malcolm! [face_worried]

Excellent update, and I'm looking forward to more!

11. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    And then I said it. The seven words that are guaranteed to take any bad situation, and ensure that it will get worse. ?I have a bad feeling about this.?

-Ain't that the bloody truth!

And the commandos remind me a lot of the great Clone Commandos from the Clone Wars. Love 'em.

Now they're going to try and resue the Mykr strike team?!?

Great action again Rike!
    =D=

12. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Liked the comment about an arms-length being a little tighter a fit for a Rybeese, though even for a Wookie that still would be quite tricky flying. :)

Good flying riding the fall down, don?t blame him for flinching with the Razor Bugs.

Liked the idea of road rage. Hear it called Grunt Squishing when you use a tank for it.

Shame about their blasters being non functional, more of a shame that the commandos were not better equipped as there would have been countermeasures to the Purifying Wind spores (such as sealing a weapon in an airtight bag until the spores become inactive again, which for something the size of a lightsaber would be quite easy). :)

Liked Malcom?s attitude to being wounded.

Glad that Tix got to push the button, liked him dedicating it to Julius.

Also liked the Sniper?s attitude.

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

What else COULD you do?? ;)

A great update! Sorry it took me so long to make my over here.

=D=

14. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh great update Rike! Sorry it took me so long to reply! Loved it...though it's a mean place to end it: ?Please Tix, we have to hurry. They are in more trouble then they realize,? Malcom said to me as he took a seat next to mine. ?More trouble then they could possibly imagine.? NICE ending line...but I must see what follows!

Loved this line also: ?Sir, remember those red blurs that went streaking by your head and struck those two warriors who were about to impale you with their amphi-staffs? Yeah, that was us.? One of the two snipers replied with a slight smirk on his face.

Excellent work!

Need.More.NOW!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.