main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beauty of Final Fantasy XI

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediMaster22, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    [image=http://www.fffreak.com/ff11/highres20big.jpg]

[image=http://www.fffreak.com/ff11/cgscreen1big.jpg]

[image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/pc/featurepreviews/ffxi/ffxi_screen001.jpg]

It is a MMORPG, so players could go online and play Together :)

Mininium System Requirements for PC:

Processor: Intel Pentium III, Pentium 4 recommended.
    Memory: 128MB RAM, 256MB recommended.
    Graphics: DirectX8.1 AGP compatible, Nvidia GeForce 3 recommended.
    Sound: DirectX8.1 compatible.
    CD-ROM: 4X or higher, 32X recommended.
    Modem: 56K.
    Operating System: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP compatible.
    HD Capacity: 4.5GB

Also on PS2

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    4.5 GB!?!?1!?!?!!?!?!/1//1/1/1/1/?! You've got to be kidding me. I have a 60GB hd, and that scares the hell out of me.

3. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    I doubt I'll play if I have to pay monthly fee plus fee for creating characters.

4. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    That does seem a bit extreme and I have an 80GB hard drive with 63.7GB of free space. In any case, the graphics may be pretty, but the game had tons of problems. There's a chance I might get the PC version, but I'm definitley not investing in the PS2. Oh, and I recall it needed 800Mhz too.

4.5 GB is probably for those graphics and CG movies.

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'll probably check it out, my friend is a big Final Fantasy nut. I'm saving my time for Galaxies though, hopefully.

6. DarthGunray

DarthGunray Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm sorry to say, but I think Final Fantasy is officially dead. Square had a blunder filled release of FFXI in Japan, and it seems to have a really BIG demand on a computer. Even with a PS2 version, it won't sell, not enough people will buy a modem for it. I'm sorry Square, but I'll never play Final Fantasy again.

7. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    When did that come out and how much does it cost?

8. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Why they decided to make XI a MMORPG is beyond me. I sure as hell won't be able to play it on my piece of crap computer, and I don't want to play it on my PS2 either.

Hopefully XII will be back to the basics.

9. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Chip And Dale's MMORPG!!!!!!!!!

10. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    It is a huge mistake to say that FF is dead. FFXII will be a normal FF again and it is being made by the guy who did Tactis and Vagrant Story, so it will be darker and better. I agreee that i will not get FFXI with all the costs, but I am still a FF fan. If this makes you not be a fan now, you were never one to begin with.

11. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

FFXII will be a normal FF again and it is being made by the guy who did Tactis and Vagrant Story, so it will be darker and better.
    Really? Excellent. So now I'll actually be able to play a new FF game. ;)

12. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    If Galaxies didn't exist, I would definitely give FFXI at least a chance. But luckily, Galaxies does exist! :D And it's coming soon!

I am a big FF fan, but the individual games and characters and plots are what give the franchise it's backbone. Just look at Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Had nothing to do with the games and totally flopped. The overall atmosphere of the movie wasn't even Final Fantasy-ish!

Sure, FFXI might have chocobos, moogles, and all those FF things, but you can't really define Final Fantasy. Who knows, the MMORPG might be good, and fun, but it's more "medieval" and less high-tech (gunblades, blitzball, etc.) mixed with RPG fantasy-like elements, unlike most of the actual 'normal' games.

13. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I also don't think Final Fantasy is dead because they are coming out with Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for PS2. I'm in heaven. The original stole more than 70 hours of my life. Plus, they are already working on FFXII, which is the traditional one player variety.

I will probably get FFXI. From what I've read, it will still have a plot like we're all used to. I'll get the PS2 version most likely, but if the costs get to be too high, I'll dump the service once Galaxies comes out, because I will probably spend more time with that.

14. DarthGunray

DarthGunray Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    If this makes you not be a fan now, you were never one to begin with.

Don't take me wrong, I'm a HUGE FF fan. As a matter of fact for the last three or so years, that was the only game I played! It's just that I think Square is going to alienate some of their fans with FFXI. Not everyone will have the funds to pay for FFXI monthly, and most certainly, not everyone will buy a modem for their PS2. I've played every FF (with the exception of Tactics) and I've found that the newer ones are lacking in quality when compared to their earlier efforts. To me FFX was a big disappointment, not achieving the same height of excitement I found with FFVII. I liked the battle system but the story seemed boring. Maybe I should give it another go?

Who knows, maybe I've lost faith for no reason?

15. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Secret of Mana was the best.

Seven was almost on the same level,
    anything else just sucked.

If the story is'nt told right, there's only cutscenes and a flash battle system to enjoy.

16. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I think you're off there. For one thing, FFX had one of the stronger plots to me, and I'd consider it the best since VII. IX came the closest to VII in goofiness, and VIII took itself too seriously, but it was still the best RPG of that time.

I won't spoil X for those that haven't played it, or those that are giving it another go, but I don't understand saying that they didn't have stories. In X you get a story for most of the characters. It goes into more detail with some of them than others, but you get a story nonetheless. Seymour is an interesting bad guy, and far better than "Mr hips" from IX.

Some people dismiss the FF series because of its high polish, and excellent cut scenes. They think a beautiful game can't be deep. They're generally the ones that dismiss Metal Gear as a "movie" with a few gameplay elements. But we're talking about a game that takes 40+ hours to finish, has multiple sidequests, and a well told main plot.

In FFX you can: Compete in Blitzball, gather all the monsters, create all the ultimate character weapons, do chocobo races, find all of the summoned monsters, learn the Al-bhed language and of course the usual treasure hunting.

The strong stories in the recent FF games is what has me worried about FFXI. I've read the interviews where the programmers swear it will have a main plot, but how can it be the same plot when every five minutes, someone will wander in and say, "Any hot ladies here?" except one of those words will be misspelled or mistyped. And then two minutes later, someone will ask, "Anyone have any free stuff?"

Also, when talking about FFXI, it's more than the monthly cost, and the initial modem cost. You have to include the hard drive, which it will most likely require.

17. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I dislike this whole idea, i think square needs to pull there heads out of there asses for trying to make a liner game online.

18. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Why they decided to make XI a MMORPG is beyond me.

Hopefully XII will be back to the basics.

I agree totally, GriffZ.

19. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    TheWampas,

do you have proof that Tactics 2 is being made? A link or something, b/c i have not heard anything official.

And second, FF started out as medival not sci fi and is better when it is that way.

And FFVI is the best all time.

20. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    I think FFXI will be an interesting experience... When I saw the first trailer, the graphics didn't look so good. I see they have developed it a bit after my last check...

Still, I don't know if I should buy it to my PC or PS2? If I'd buy PS2-version, I would have to my the PS-modem. Dammit.

21. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I don't know what to think of what everybody is saying here. I am conflicted.

FF7 was my first RPG. I never finished it, as well as not finishing 8 & 9.
    I did finish 10 and absolutely loved it. My only other RPG experience is Legends of Dragoon (excellent game....maybe better than FF) and maybe trying a couple of others.

FF has been the only series that has captivated me (not to mention LoD). I was greatly looking forward to 11.

? though, why are you thinking that 11 is going to need a specialized modem? I am sure that Sony will have the same support as Sega did. I mean, Madden 2003 will have on-line capabilities (which I am drooling over).I think that you just are going to need the ISB connector and plug into a phone line.

22. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    FF XI looks amazing!! I will buy it! Definitely! I am a FF nut :eek:) and proud to be one

23. Starron

Starron Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2002
    I won't get XI and I am a huge fan of FF's, mainly because of the fees and all that.

FF7 was great, with a confusing storyline and was fun.Though the graphics (especially the faces) weren't great.X is fantastic in alot of ways.

I think galaxies will be tad cheaper and that is a might at the moment.

24. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I haven't seen pictures, but in one of the most recent Playstation magazines, it was confirmed that they are working on one. I think it's too soon to have screen shots. All that it really said is some of the same people are working on it, and it will be PS2. Until then, you might want to try Tactics Ogre for the GBA, if you can find it. They didn't make a lot of them.

As for Legend of the Dragoon being better than FF... I think it was a good game, but far too linear for my style. There weren't really any subplots, or side quests, and you walked along a path to get everywhere, no freedom of movement... But they did kill off a main character, and one of my favorites, so I give them points for that.

25. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    XII is a single-player and there are also two FFX sequal stories being developed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.