main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Beauty of the Beast {POTC quote roulette - L/M oneshot}

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Beauty of the Beast

Genre: Drama
    Rating: PG
    Characters: Mara, Luke
    Summery: Mara isn't the only one who knows the darkness well. Yet, even in the darkest of places, there is beauty to be found.

Notes: Written for the PoTC Quotation Challenge, and further inspired by listening to Nightwish - a recipe for a dark fic, I'm telling you. LOL

My quote was number 46, ?You know nothing of Hell.?

She remembers.

She'd prefer not too, though.

The memories are blurry, and hazy. Her recollections are hesitant. Though, she can say she remembers beauty intermixed amongst the tragedy. Her mother's eyes were green like hers. Sterling prisms of emerald, shadowed by a ghastly scar running from brow to cheek. Her father's face she can't remember. All that is there of that is a feeling of safety. A feeling of strength accompanied by guiding, loving hands.

It is a feeling that she can only describe as [i]home[/i].

She does remember his hand in hers. She remembers that she had been small compared to him. His hands had been callused ? safety among memories of labor and pain.

Yet, for the life of her she cannot remember his face. It is something that haunts her still.

She remembers more, at least, she thinks she does. Sometimes it is hard to tell what memory is hers, and what is not. She was quite certain that she remembered flames ? in the form of blaster fire ? in her father's eyes as he fought. She remembered flames as her peaceful, safe little world came crashing down around her.

There was beauty, though. There was awe in her child's eyes as she witnessed the perfect unity of the masked solders. Their white armor was unstained, pure, unsullied. Her mother's dress was harsh under her trembling hands.

There was silence after the shouts.

There was sun above the smoke from the burning city.

There was pride in her brother's face, even though his hands trembled.

The armored trooper that took her away whispered soothingly in her ear. His voice was harsh, yet his words were kind.

There was blood on the roses as she left.

OoO

She doesn't remember now. She doesn't let herself. Her master won't let her.

Oddly enough, there is nothing beautiful about him. He's there though, which is so much more than the memories. She can fill her teenage years with thoughts of duty ? they are better than other thoughts she could entertain.

He cackles then, shaking her out of her thoughts. Wincing, she tries to find something in the voice. Not sure exactly what that was, she searches anyway. Humanity, warmth, love, protection. Guidance even?

None are there, she doesn't hear [i]home[/i] in his voice.

Yet, this is home now. This is where she belongs, and she feels oddly safe in that knowledge. That feeling, she will reflect latter, is the safety of the condemned. The one who knows they have no more time to live, yet faces the gallows with an unflinching stare.

She faces no gallows, only her ghosts.

They are the same anyway.

So she ignores the insane ravings of her master, and the courtiers who whisper behind her back. It was ironic when they said that hers were the eyes of the wolf.

At least, in a predator of that caliber, there was beauty in the death that surrounded it.

OoO

The first thing he said he noticed was her eyes.

Shadowed, yet glowing. Rimmed in black, yet the light always managed to shine though. He said that they promised everything, and revealed nothing.

She, of course, had slapped him for spouting poetry, even though the blow was not as severe as it should have been. The smile that had accompanied it shouldn't have been there either.

Yet, then she wouldn't have been amused, and he wouldn't have dared to say anything along those lines.

He was naïve at times, yet never suicidal.

Naïve . . .

He thought that everything and anything could be made right. Every past can be redeemed, beauty could always show in t

2. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    Awesome!!!!! Great Job it sounded like Mara!!!!
    JR

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Beautifully done. The imagery is very elegant, and I can really hear Mara's thoughts in this. :)

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Awww, I love it! :)

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Very good job, Mira. That was a great L/M one shot( I don't read many but I just love the pairing).

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    very bittersweet. There is real humanity to Mara in this. Especially in seeing the little glimpses of her memories that were forbidden by Palpatine......

7. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    That was simply beautiful! =D= I can just feel Mara's sadness, her anger...it was very real and very her.

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Luke looked divine in the moonlight. Shrouded in the darkness, illuminated by the starlight above.

She suddenly figured it out then. Let her demons go, and even though her mind was still shrouded, it didn't seem hopeless anymore. She didn't feel lost, anymore.

[face_love]

Very beautiful! Excellent vig!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Stunning. :eek: Lovely. I don't know what else to say.

She remembers.

She'd prefer not too, though.

The memories are blurry, and hazy. Her recollections are hesitant. Though, she can say she remembers beauty intermixed amongst the tragedy. Her mother's eyes were green like hers. Sterling prisms of emerald, shadowed by a ghastly scar running from brow to cheek. Her father's face she can't remember. All that is there of that is a feeling of safety. A feeling of strength accompanied by guiding, loving hands.

It is a feeling that she can only describe as home.

She does remember his hand in hers. She remembers that she had been small compared to him. His hands had been callused ? safety among memories of labor and pain.

Yet, for the life of her she cannot remember his face. It is something that haunts her still.

That was my favorite part. =D=

10. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Wonderfully introspective piece, Mira. :) I really admire your use of imagery (the blood on the roses, the moonlight). Nicely done and great use of the quote!

She suddenly figured it out then. Let her demons go, and even though her mind was still shrouded, it didn't seem hopeless anymore. She didn't feel lost, anymore.

Then he said, ?I understand.?

And she knew he did.

Loved this! [face_batting] @};-

11. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    What a unique use of the movie quote! :eek:

Twas a very good glimpse into her past and how it shaped her present mindset. To sit and remember every past act, every victim, and think that they died for a lie and a lost cause... how horrible.

Loved the title, too. :)

12. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Exquisite! @};-

Wonderfully written--thank you for sharing this with us!

Bravo! =D= =D=

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    wonderful!!

14. SparrowSwan

SparrowSwan Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2007
    Beautiful! I love how she finds light and home with Luke. Mara has to work hard to let things go, and when she finally manages it, she finds herself stronger than before.

A very elegant use of the quote. =D=

15. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    This was lovely. You could feel the events as Mara herself experienced them.

16. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    There was silence after the shouts.

There was sun above the smoke from the burning city.

There was pride in her brother's face, even though his hands trembled.

The armored trooper that took her away whispered soothingly in her ear. His voice was harsh, yet his words were kind.

There was blood on the roses as she left

So much like poetry. As was the whole piece--this is one of my favorite types of writing, the shadowlands between poetry and prose. I echo the other reviewers; thank you for sharing this!!

17. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Wonderful post. So much of Mara's past has remained hidden in shadow, probably by design, but the fleeting glimpses you give of what was possible are tantalizing. Perfect characterization fo the Emperor, and a nice look at Luke as he listens to Mara bare her soul. Glad you posted it!

Tych_sel

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Wow, thanks to everyone who read and replied![:D] I was not expecting all of that!

JainaRox : Thanks!

Gabri_Jade : Thanks!

EmilieDarklighter : Thanks!:D

Earthknight : Thanks, I'm glad I could draw you in!;)

Jedi_Liz : Bittersweet? Just what I was going for, thanks.

Lady_Jade : Thank-you!:)

ginchy : Thank-you!

VaderLVR64 : Thanks (I'm feeling repetitive)

MirandaFair : Thanks, I love playing around with imagery, and this fic is another result of an experiment.:)

Bri_Windstar : The title was inspired by a Nightwish song, thanks! And poor MAra. I think that's why I enjoy writing her so much, she has a past to haunt her, and LUke to help her.[face_love]

Jade_Pilot : Happy to share!

RedGold : Thanks!

SparrowSwan : Thanks for starting the challenge in the first place. It was lots of fun!

StarFighter5 : Thanks!

furrylittlebantha
    : Between poetry and prose. A wonderful way to word it, and yes, my favorite way to write too! Thanks!

Tych_sel : Good point, thanks for reading!

~MJ@};-

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Anyone else?[face_batting]

~MJ@};-

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I found this in the update L/M index. :)

Loved this most: She heard warmth, redemption, hope, love . . .

Gorgeous. [face_love] :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.