main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Because Han Solo says "I'll see you in Hell" in ESB, there's now a mythology explaining what hell is

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dolphin, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the same as the duck.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han isn't the only one to use the word. Owen says: "he'd better have those units in the South Ridge repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay."

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think that's an example of the ridiculousness that the EU has become. Let's hope they avoid that from now on...

MistrX, Artoo-Dion , EECHUUTA and 4 others like this.
  5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's not anymore ridiculous than anything that was in the films (or even in any real-life religion, for that matter).

6. drunken hutt

drunken hutt Jedi Padawan

May 22, 2014
    I somewhat disagree. I like how the EU attempted to 'secularise' the concept of Hell and give it different names and interpretations amongst various cultures of the galaxy. While the origins explained of this 'Chaos' (i.e. Hell) are rather odd, I'm glad that it was tied into the concept of the Netherworld of the Force as a place where dark side (Hellish) spirits linger.

Findswoman , LelalMekha and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not saying that Hell is a ridiculous concept in Star Wars, I'm saying that picking a throw-off term from a line in the movie and creating an whole backstory around it is ridiculous. Another example: Han said he made the Kessel Run in a record short distance. I think it's cheap for someone to make an whole story about that (don't know if they did it, but I'm willing to bet).

rdhight and Darth Dnej like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The famed Kessel Run was just a chapter in the Han Solo trilogy of Han's backstory leading up to ANH.

So is it pointless to know how Lando lost the Falcon to Han and how they stopped being friends?
    These little details like that fleshed out the galaxy for us. Made it bigger and richer for those of us that tried it.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They didn't stop being friends. And he lost it on gambling, as explained in the movie.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not the only version though - Star Wars Tales had a Infinities story of it - comedic:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run_(comic)

- and there was a comic shortly after ANH that was originally intended to depict it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Way_of_the_Wookiee_(comic_story)

but was retconned into depicting a previous one - rather than The One That Upset Jabba.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Um, yeah, Lando and Han did stop being friends. "You've got a lot of guts coming here, after what you've pulled." Obviously, at one point Han did something that Lando was really upset with, and they haven't seen each other since. Rebel Dawn fleshes this backstory out.

12. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah a

GOLD.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The scene doesn't end there. He was playing with him.

Riv_Shiel and Darth Dnej like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also Han saying nervously (after his ship was shot at) "That was a long time ago, I'm sure he's forgotten about that".

The scenes do seem to hint that Han & Lando's last meeting ended with them on bad terms, even if Lando may have forgiven him in the interim.

Also keep in mind that Vader arrived before Han did - Lando's moment of "playing with him" is to lull Han into a false sense of security - probably on Vader's orders.

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Have you forgotten "Well, that was a long time ago. I'm sure he's forgotten about that."?

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds like important plot points in a Han Solo background movie if they ever do it.

Zorrixor and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He says that when Leia questions if he knows Lando. He replies that since it has been a long time ago he has probably forgotten about that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization version of the scenes:

"I thought you knew these people," Leia chided, casting a suspicious look at Han.
    "Well," the Corellian hedged, "it's been a while."
    Chewbacca growled and barked, shaking his head meaningfully at Han.
    "That was a long time ago," he answered sharply. "I'm sure he's forgotten all about it." But he began to wonder if Lando had forgotten the past...
    "Permission granted to land on Platform 327. Any deviation of flight pattern will bring about your -"
    Angrily, Han switched off the radio. Why was he being put through this harassment? He was coming here peacefully; wasn't Lando going to let bygones be bygones?

"Why, you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler," he said grimly.
    "I can explain everything, ol' buddy," Han said quickly, "if you'll just listen."
    Still unsmiling, Lando surprised alien and human alike when he said, "Glad to see you."
    Han lifted an eyebrow skeptically. "No hard feelings?"
    "Are you kidding?" Lando asked coolly.
    Han was becoming nervous. Had he been forgiven or not? The guards and aides still had not lowered their weapons, and Lando's attitude was mystifying. Trying to conceal his worry, Han remarked gallantly, "I always said you were a gentleman."
    With that, the other man broke into a grin. "I'll bet," he chuckled.
    Han laughed in relief, as the two old friends at last embraced each other like the long-lost accomplices they were.

While the dialogue is slightly different, it's clear that Han is replying to Chewie, not Leia - and that Lando had a grievance against Han in the past, and Han knows it.

Revanfan1, darth ladnar and J_Girl like this.
  19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    [face_laugh]

I can't believe they feel like they have to explain every little thing.
    According to the EU, nerfherders are herders of nerfs. I just always assumed nerfherder was a random insult. As much I love the EU, sometimes it goes a little too far.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's even a book - The Wildlife of Star Wars - that shows us what nerfs look like.

V-2, darklordoftech and Darth Dnej like this.
  21. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    My personal interpretation has always been that Han won the Falcon from Lando in some sort of gambling match [perhaps sabacc, doesn't really matter] and that Han may or may not have cheated to do it.

Lando certainly interpreted the incident as Han cheated, thus: 'you have a lot of guts coming here after what he pulled.' So when Han says "That was a long time ago, I'm sure he has forgotten about that" is meant to refer back to Han winning the Falcon. Of course Lando was angry over losing the Falcon, especially if he thought Han cheated to do it. It doesn't mean they weren't friends after that or not on speaking terms, it means Han knew enough to stay away from Lando until he cooled off.

I didn't need to EU to flesh any of that out. It's all right there in ESB. Nothing extra necessary to understand. Look, if one is into doing backstories on things like that, cool. There's plenty of room in the GFFA for all of us. It's a big galaxy and Han has been from one end of it to the other and has seen a lot of strange things.

Edit: feeling the need to explain what is meant by Hell in SW is, um, interesting?

Yanksfan, TOSCHESTATION and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not how it ended up in the movie (which is where my argument was based on) where Han is directly replying to Leia.

He was playing with him. He asks "What have you done with my ship?" to which Han replies "Your ship?! Hey, I won it fair and square, remember?". Lando then greets Chewie and doesn't even argue...

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Do we know that for certain though?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, just watch the scene.

EDIT: Okay, Chewie does growl between them, so I'll leave it open to interpretation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    This is what the script says when I look it up:

More flak bursts outside the cockpit window and rattles the ship's
    interior. Leia looks worried.

HAN (into transmitter)
    Whoa! Wait a minute! Let me
    explain.

INTERCOM VOICE
    You will not deviate from your present course.

THREEPIO
    Rather touchy, aren't they?

LEIA
    I thought you knew this person.

Chewie barks and growls at his boss.

HAN (to Chewie)
    Well, that was a long time ago.
    I'm sure he's forgotten about
    that.

INTERCOM VOICE
    Permission granted to land on Platform Three-two-seven.

HAN (into transmitter)
    Thank you.

Revanfan1 and Alexrd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.