main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Becca does art stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rebecca_Daniels, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I don't really consider myself much of an artist but I... dabble. I've taken formal drawing classes for the first time this year and my drawing abilities are still rather... subpar. Or perhaps not, most of my friends are artists so I have a lot to live up to. I also do some digital modelling, film, animation, design, and any number of other things I can't think of at the moment. As I said, I dabble.

A lot of what I've done is old work, though lately I've been on an artistic binge, so I will try and specify year on every piece if possible. I do a lot of the above for school, and so I can't post or take credit for all of it, since a lot was group work. However, I'll post what I feel like sharing.

The reason I felt like starting this is that I'm currently in a comics class, and I hope that keeping a thread updated with my work will help keep me on track for this project - and it is individual, so I can take 100% of the credit :p

I do appreciate critique, but be gentle - I get enough of it from class as it is.

Now, enough with words and things.

Lightsabers (2013): Autodesk 3ds Max 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

X-wing helmet design (2012): photoshop and wacom tablet (mostly traced, since the point was the design, not the drawing ;))

[​IMG]

Tessa Bonhomme (2012): sketch from reference [literally a photo on my phone since, you may be able to tell, I was in film history class] then cleaned up in photoshop with wacom tablet

Original photo Original sketch

[​IMG]

Twin Suns patch (2010 - possibly earlier): photoshop [originally made on the right and then redone later]

[​IMG]

Rebel Alliance poster (2011ish): illustrator and photoshop

[​IMG]

And that is that - for now. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Those are awesome!! :D My fave is the last one.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  3. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Thanks Jay :D That's definitely my most popular piece - it's still going around tumblr, since I decided to post it there for the heck of it.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, a comics class...

Your linework is tight, albeit a bit on the shaky side. I notice that you're drawing a continuous line, rather than smaller, separate lines drawn together to make one continuous line. Tablets are notoriously adept at picking up every single little hand shake and wobble, so when I use my tablet, I try to avoid drawing single continuous lines and focus more on tightening up sketch lines.

Have the art classes covered building figures from basic shapes? If not, want to be ahead of the class? ;) Building figures from basic shapes helps to give them weight, as opposed to drawing the figure by line. If you're interested, I could hunt down some drawing tutorials for you.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    It's mostly a studying comics class rather than a drawing comics class, but a part of it is proper drawing lessons (including nude models and overly critical teacher!). However, I've only been to maybe 3 or 4 classes, since they're not required... whoops. Luckily the final project is not graded on drawing ability... I would be in trouble if it were.

We did cover that briefly, at least - most of what I drew (actually all of it) is from before that class started. I've got a sketchbook full of really terrible 2-10 minute sketches from that class...

6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome to Fan Art, Becca, it is great to see your works. :)

I would like to add further to what TrakNar had mentioned which might also be useful. Lines and basic shapes helps block in the form and since you are working in Photoshop, one of the beauties about it is that you can do your construction work on a separate layer and then your clean up can be done over the top and hide the construction when finished.

How are you finding the drawing lessons? The life drawing exercises are great to have and those sketches that you had made can be useful. I find that the shorter poses looses you up and focus on capturing the dynamics of the pose rather than be detailed while the longer poses ones allows you to be aware of how light interacts with the form. I also hope the critiques in your classes are of the constructive and encouraging type as I know that the way some can be given can put people off drawing and it is a shame for that to happen.

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I don't know what I'd do without layers in any of my work. Worst is when I accidentally end up drawing or working on the wrong layer and have to go back and do it again...

One of the major reasons I've only been to a handful of classes is the teacher... I know that a lot of his abrupt critique is because his grasp of english isn't great, but I come in the first week and get told that I'm doing everything wrong (even though I said I've never taken a drawing lesson in my life) and not even suggesting how to fix it. Doesn't particularly make me want to go to that class but I've been to a few more and he's been better than that first week. I find the class is too long, though - I'm still just barely recovered from some bad wrist strain (too much computer work for class) so by the end of the second hour I'm about done, but it's three hours long.

Week one thing that was apparently "all wrong" (also no one understood my Hamlet reference even though we're literally less than 20 minutes from Denmark:()

Sarge likes this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The teacher can really make or break a class.

Since you're skipping classes, (naughty naughty :p ), I suggest picking up a couple books to help fill in the gaps. One of the books that I learned from (and still have, despite it being held together with tape and smelling like a basement) was How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. This book covers the basics, including drawing by form and panel composition. If you are able, I suggest picking up a copy. I've been using lessons from that book to teach my eight-year-old nephew, with good results.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice works. You work only in the digital art?

10. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'll have to take a look at that book - had our last class Friday, and I actually went! But for now I just need to get that project done... only have a month left [face_nail_biting]

I started drawing in photoshop because I was familiar with the program from graphic art/design work and other such things. My degree is pretty much entirely computer-based work so it's a format I'm most comfortable with :)

11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm still really nervous about the comic I made - there's lots I would like to change and I might at some point if I can manage to open it up again. It's not entirely finished either but it was enough for my class. I think I tackled it more as a graphic design project than a drawing project, since I spent more time thinking about layout and colour usage and font use and such than I did actually drawing it - you'll notice I reused the same drawings many times, since I was on a tight deadline by that point.

Links this time since it's 7 pages and rather large.

[...]

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I think you did the execution well and carries a nice flow. It has this film noir/Hotel Dusk vibe to it.

You shouldn't feel too nervous, though I can relate as it is a natural feeling when showcasing something you have put a lot of work and time into :)

13. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I love the Rebel poster and the Twin Suns patches.

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Sorry I forgot to respond... anyhow, I was intending for a film noir look so I'm just glad that everything came across.

Those two are probably my most popular works... or were until I deleted my DeviantArt account. Still get the occasional note on tumblr for them both. Glad you like them too :)

15. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    And now for my most recent work, finally getting around to posting it here...

This is Tlen, my SW:TOR Sith Warrior. I probably spent more time on this than most of my previous drawings combined. Some stuff I know I ought to fix but I probably won't. Still. It's a thing and I made it.

[​IMG]

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You already know what I think but I think you did a great job on this. ;) :)

I am looking forward to seeing what you be producing next.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I do, thanks CO :)

I'm not sure what I might do next, I had a lot of ideas a month or so back but most aren't very... feasible, for various reasons. Nor do I have a lot of time. I really only end up doing about one "serious" artwork a year, excepting classwork, by which I mean not my in-class pencil doodles. So I've met my yearly quota. :p

18. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Well I think you ARE an artist, Becca. I never knew you had it in ya. :p

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    All right something from my drawing class now, since I'm (reasonably) happy with this one. Scanner got a bit fuzzy in the lower right but otherwise... a slightly modified version of a helmet from Mass Effect :D

[​IMG]

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Very nice progression!

21. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Alrighty, time for another drawing from class. A picture, not a scan, but it works for now. I present to you my SW:TOR agent...

[​IMG]

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It is great to see your tonal work is developing quite well! :)

Have you been using different grades of graphite for the range? How are you finding the processes?

Looking forward to seeing more.

23. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Finally sat down with my scanner and photoshop and have pieces from my art journal to share. I have more than I'm posting, of course, but these were the ones I was at least moderately happy with. All under spoiler tags for size, and if anything looks strange on the larger ones, it's probably because I had to scan them in pieces and stitch them together in photoshop, which isn't perfect, and because the non-graphite drawings I had to scan on top of cling wrap to keep the glass clean.

First, not actually from my art journal, which was Star Wars themed (because my prof is amazing and let us choose almost any theme), I've got a couple scans from earlier in the year, simply because I'm happy with them.

An apple, I know, terribly exciting, but it was the first bit of shadow work I was actually happy with.
    [​IMG]

And a properly scanned version of the Mass Effect helmet I posted earlier
    [​IMG]

Onto the art journal pieces. Nearly all were from SW:TOR either directly by referencing my own screenshots or just inspired from the game, with a couple exceptions that I'll note. These aren't in order of when I drew them but for the most part I am aware of the issues I have with style and proportion and pretty much everything.

This was the first piece I did for my journal, and I wish I'd done it in colour to show the effect of the glow from the holocron itself and the pedestal it floated above.

[​IMG]

No spoilers for the Agent storyline here, but I did two drawings of my male agent, and one of my female agent. The first I've posted already, but since then I've tweaked it minorly, and again it's scanned far better than the ipod picture I put up earlier. The second is proportionally awful, but way too much fun to draw. They obviously don't look the same, but it was a good thought exercise along with a drawing exercise, trying to see my agent ageing and how things might change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My female agent, a Chiss, came out of a love of seeing the glowing red eyes in dark scenes in the game, and to try out a different medium since the majority of the project was pencil.

[​IMG]

I know, you say, a Sith with a pink lightsaber? It's what mine uses, in any case, and I really wanted to play with light with charcoal and chalk pastels so I went with her. Also purposefully left-handed, just for fun; there's not enough lefties in the GFFA

[​IMG]

I really didn't expect to win (sort of win?) the EU challenge, especially not with this, but I love Mission and I thought I'd have some fun with her.

[​IMG]

Obviously heavily referenced from the promo pictures, but I'm surprised at how well this has turned out so far. My plan always was to find some way to scan this (all of these were drawn on 14"x17" paper and this one takes up the entire page so it's been a bit tough to scan) and then I'd paint it in photoshop. We'll see how that goes, but it's here for now at least.

[​IMG]

And I think that's enough for now... it's been a productive term. :D

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Haven't been here in a while...

Trying to get out of this end of term funk... sat down the other day and ended up drawing my favourite Hawke from Dragon Age 2 as I am sadly without Inquisition. And I really am hitting the target of one non-school-related piece a year, it seems... :p

[​IMG]

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    So good to see you back! :) and nicely done too!

I can empathise with that (end of term burn out and also no Inquisition for me yet either) and can take a bit to get back into the swing of things. The year is not over just yet and there could be more ;) :)