main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beckham to earn $250 million over 5 years.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by George_Roper, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    This will help the LA Galaxy but not all of the MLS

2. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    The 275 million dollar man

#
    An annual salary of $10m

#
    His existing sponsorship contracts with his four sponsors - Motorola, Pepsi, Gillette and Volkswagen - are estimated to be worth $25m

#
    His merchandising shirt sales will bring in $10m

#
    His share of the club profits: $10m

That adds up to $55m. Multiply it by five and you get well over $275m.

So basically he's getting $30 million from the club and the other $25 million is from his endorsements. So $150 million over 5 years from the club.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    They do play road games, you know. ;)

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, but thats just one game or two (don't know MLS scheduling) for most places. The only club it helps significantly is LA.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Monetarily, perhaps. However, it does put a bigger spotlight on MLS as a league, which is good for all of the teams involved.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    And he's going to be in LA. Every time his name shows up in a tabloid (which will be many times), MLS (and the Galaxy) will get free publicity.

7. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Ree-donk-u-lous.

8. jamesf24

jamesf24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    I can't believe the negative viewpoints on this.

There is no way this isnt good for MLS.

Beckham is only 31. If we did this when he's 35, then it would be a mistake.

MLS will make up for this in shirt sales. This move is also going to be followed by Ronaldo & C. Reyna to RBNY, and Edgar Davids to Dallas.

Becks is not as good as he once was, and he is not going to single handidly make the league better, but there is no way that this is a bad move by the league unless he get's hurt and never really plays.

Also, MLS is not paying all that money, Adidas is about half of it.

It also attracts attention to a league in mainstream outlets. He will put butts in seats at all road games. LAG already has close to sell outs in it's stadium.

The league has 13 teams, and 6 have their own stadiums and are starting to show a profit. 3 more stadiums are under construction.

This is good for MLS and soccer in the USA.

9. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    It does? :confused:

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The fact of the matter is, and this won't change because of any star or stars coming over, that Americans don't care about soccer. And thats why its not going to really be worth it.

11. jamesf24

jamesf24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    How can anyone still think this crap? I'm American, born and raised, and I care about soccer.

The league is 11 years old, average attendance is around 15k.

6 teams have their own stadium, 3 more under construction.

In addition to ESPN, there are two major soccer channels broadcasting in English (GOL TV and Fox Soccer Channel).

Sponsors are throwing money at it. ESPN is now paying for the rights to MLS. The World Cup in Korea in 2002, with games in the middle of night, drew the highest TV ratings for any previously broadcast World Cup. Ratings were also high for the recent WC in Germany despite the US team not doing as well as expected.

Is Pro soccer here as popular as it is in Europe or South America? Of course not. But that doesnt mean no one cares about it.

Time to wake up.

Also, liking soccer doesnt mean that you can't like football or baseball. I love the NFL, but I also care alot about MLS, US National Team and some European soccer.

It's a great sport if you give it a chance.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Bringing a name over here, that is very well known, even to people that don't follow soccer, will draw interest.

13. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004

QFT

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

14. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    It's a long process to become a legitimate sport in America, but soccer is on its way. It still has the highest amount of kids playing it seeing as it's not male exclusive and is pretty cheap to play. Since Gary Bettman insists on ruining the NHL, there's room for a fourth sport (lol @ NASCAR) and I could see MLS slowly filling that gap. The key, with all sports, is to grab ahold of the inner city kids and build your fanbase (and talent pool) through their sheer numbers.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The only club it helps significantly is LA.

:D I just hope that when I begin to watch Galaxy games (I've never have before), that Beckham at least shows some signs of what he still can do.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    See Tunick! You finally got a football star in L.A.! :)

17. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Americans will never care as much about soccer as much as the rest of the world. Nothing has changed that yet, Beckham coming over won't either. Also, isn't $250 million about the entire worth of the MLS at this point? :p

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    This is why I love you, Juli. :p

19. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I just could never get into it. I played as a kid, but when I was living in Vienna, the games just seemed really, really dull. Of course, the Austrians were also agog over ski-jumping, but still...

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Better in one version of the sport than none at all.

21. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Of course there must be some good points and the bosses (whoever that is exactly) have calculated the costs and what they get from him for sure. They don't spend that hight amount of money just for fun. So you can guess what they will (or expect to) earn by him. It will be much more. ;)

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    jamesf24: Yeah, I know there are a few Americans out there who like soccer. I have two aunts who are really into soccer. Still, that doesn't change the fact that they are in a distinct minority, especially when compared to other sports. And again, Beckham (or any other star) won't change that. They might get a few more people, mostly in the city they play for, but by and large, Americans won't care. And those few won't be anywhere near enough to call soccer popular in the US.

23. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Don't know too much about soccer or as they like to call it "futbol". I only hear about the big names in the papers such as Ronaldo, Beckham, Henry, Zidane etc...

Anyways, I?m looking forward to see this Beckham guy come to the US. Interesting profile.

24. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Honestly, I watched more soccer during the latest World Cup then I ever did before. It grows with you after a while. Each sport has an enticing factor to it, it just takes a little while to see soccer's sometimes.

Beckham's a great player. He will bring more popularity to the sport here in the United States. The only problem is the States already have a tough time accepting baseball because of it's "boring" factor. The same crowd might - and does - think that way about soccer as well. One player won't be able to do it all.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The only problem is the States already have a tough time accepting baseball because of it's "boring" factor.

Then explain the popularity of the sport throughout the 20th, and into the 21st Century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.