Beckham to earn $250 million over 5 years.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by George_Roper, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    I'm assuming that you're excluding the 1994-1998 seasons, Tunic.
  2. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Even during that period, MLB was more followed/popular than the MLS has been it its history.
  3. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    And the 19th Century.

Baseball isn't going anywhere. It's only getting more popular, especially in Asia and Latin America.
  4. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^indeed hence the IOC voted to remove both baseball and softball in the 2012 summer olympics :p

Anyway I really wonder if Beckham playing for the American football (or soccer whatever) league will make a difference in its popularity (or lack off). Beckham isn't the only famous football player who played in the American league at some point in their career.
  5. Kyp Jedi Master

star 4
    It's football, not soccer.
  6. jamesf24 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Of course your right....

And also, the world is still flat.....
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It's football, not soccer.

Not here.

Of course your right....

And also, the world is still flat.....

You have any proof that soccer could even remotely be considered popular in the US? Soccer is easily behind football, basketball, baseball, and probably hockey as well. It might pass hockey (particularly in the warmer areas) with the addition of some European/non-US stars, but it won't catch up to the others. Plain and simple.
  8. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Soccer is the most popular youth sport by far in the US. However when kids get older they tend to play football or Basketball. However more and more kids are going on to play soccer as they get into their teens. Hopefully this will develop into soccer being more popular. I love English Football and I look forward to the day when the MLS is tied with the A-league through relegations and promotions and when it is routinely talked about on sports shows because that day is coming
  9. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    That may happen, rechedelphar. Here in Germany, almost all kids (male of course) play football/soccer at one time in their life. There's just a small minority who never join a club to play soccer. And when I remember my time in elementary school, the boays talked about soccer all day long and exchanging pics of players and so on. When they get older some lose interest, but some stay and watch it on TV or go to the stadium and so on. ;)
  10. jamesf24 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I am not saying that soccer is close to catching football or basketball.

I would say that soccer, in the US as a whole, is already past hockey. I would not say that MLS is past the NHL, not yet any way.

Realize, soccer has two TV channels, broadcasting in English, that are showing soccer from around the world.

The World Cup Final in 2006 had higher ratings than any of the 2005 World Series games.

TV ratings for soccer have continued to climb for both MLS and the US national team.

You also have the ESPN family of networks, that paid rights fees to MLS for it's games for the first time in US history, that was before the Beckham deal.

Then you have all the Spanish language networks that also regularly broadcast soccer.

Do you really think the executives at Adidas, Motorola, Pepsi and Gillette would give Beckham that kind of money if "no one cared" about soccer in this country?

A few sports visionaries such as the late Lamar Hunt (KC Chiefs), Phil Anschutz (LA Lakers), Robert Kraft (New England Patriotshave funded the league now for the last 11 years. There are other great owners in the league as well that have deep pockets.

These people are not stupid. The league has 13 teams in 2007, 6 of which have their own stadiums, and 3 more stadiums are under construction.

Some teams are still losing money, but as these stadiums get built, and the teams control there own scheduling, concession, and parking revenue, your starting to see teams start to make money.

Also, liking soccer, or believing in it's growth, doesnt mean that you don't like baseball or football. I love the NFL, college football and college basketball. To me, baseball is mostly boring, but I watch sometimes.

It's not "soccer" vs. "other American sports".

The world is getting smaller, and the world's sport is not going to go away from America.

11. GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Master

star 1
    For every one of you here in the US, there is 100 of me. I dont know anything about the sport, wont pay money to watch the sport. Why? Its not my game, its not played here, we arent good at it, and I dont think we even want to be good at it. Hockey, Football, baseball, basketball are good popular sports. I just dont see soccer ever moving up into the big 4, hell I like golf and arena football better. In my part of the US, soccer is treated as a foriegn game(which is why I secretly think most of us here in the US hate it, its played by everyone else so why should us americans like it? hehe). Soccer will never be a popular sport over the entire US. It will have hot spots sure but its boring game, no tradition, and we dont grow up playing.
  12. jamesf24 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Like I said to Rogue Jedi.....

The world is still flat too....

Soccer has already moved past hockey in the country.

Have you ever watched soccer at the professional or World Cup level? Or do you just say that it's boring so that Jim Rome likes you?

By the way, I love the Jim Rome show, but he hates soccer.

I love sports in general, Arena football, hockey, golf. I would not pay money to see Arena football or golf. But I have paid money for baseball, football, soccer & hockey, boxing, even MMA and the UFC/Pride.

One other point, about it being foreign....

If your a baseball fan, you know that MLB is full of foreign players. If your a basketball fan, you know that the there are more and more European players in the NBA than ever before. If your a hockey fan, you know that hockey is not an American sport and that the majority of players in the NHL are foreign.

Now take Major League Soccer, There are a maximum of 6 foreign players per team. They built it from the ground up.

There are more and more like me, and that number will continue to grow.

From 1930-1950, boxing was the number one sport in America. I'm sure all the wise sports fans of the time believed wholeheartedly that boxing would always be #1.

Where is boxing now?

Do I think that MLS will be as popular as the NFL in 10 years, even 20 years? NO, I do not.

But do I think MLS will still exist in 10 years, and in 20 years, and possibly be one of the top soccer leagues in the world?

Absolutely.

13. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If you ignore the money, the aquisition is a good deal by the Galaxy and MLS. Beckham is probably the most recognized player ever, even more than Pele. I say that actually having seen Pele play for the Cosmos, including his farewell match vs Santos (his old team in Brazil). Having Bekham will immediately raise ´nterest in the game in the US, as advance ticket sales are already showing.

The problem is the money. In a strict financial sense (comparing the cost to the amount of revnues he's expected to bring in) you can probably justify it. But in terms of the way it will forever warp MLS salaries (very similar to the ARod deal with Texas) it could have a devastating effect. If an over the hill Beckham can get that kind of money, why not Davids or Ronaldo -- if you base it strictly by performance on the field.

Sadly, this attempt to take the game to a new level in the US may spell it's doom in the medium term, just as the signings of Pele, Beckenbauer and Kruyff doomed the NASL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.