Becoming a Jedi: A Choice or an Obligation?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mj, Sep 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarik Jedi Master

star 4
    That's exactly what I said about controlling emotions only different words.
  2. Rebecca191 Jedi Knight

star 6
    For an ordinary, Force-sensitive being, it's a choice. For a Solo or Skywalker, it probably feels like a neccesary obligation.
  3. Ace-777 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    For Leia it was sort of an obligation with luke pressuring her and all. For the solo kids it was sort of neither because they grew up in the force.
  4. skawookiee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This makes me think of the Jedi vs. Sith series. Lord Hoth asks his right hand man (whose name I can't remember) why he became a Jedi. He said he would have much rather stayed behind to become a scribe, but he saw the suffering in the Galaxy, and knew it was his duty to protect the people there. Being a Jedi is a choice, but that choice could have been made out of obligation, or of a willingness to choose the Jedi path for itself.
  5. Tahiri_2 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    it should be a choice but i think if you have the force you should use it and its for a reason ... oh and i like jacen he's not stupid. He's thinks differant and that is good.
  6. JediObi Jedi Youngling

Interesting topic!

I personally am of the opinion that if you are "chosen" by the Force to be Force-sensitive, your only obligation lies in learning enough about its use to guard against temptation from the dark side. Jacen, of course, has a free will and can choose what he wishes to do with his future... not that I agree with how he's made those decisions.
  7. El_Cid_Campeador Jedi Youngling

The Jedi Knight is exactly that.

A Knight.

One must, somewhere along the course of preparation, make the conscious decision that yes, one is willing and desirous to become a Knight.

Even in the prequel era, the student was free to leave the Jedi at will (although years of indoctrination made this choice a mere formality). As Xanatos proved, to be a Jedi is a choice.

Darth Ludicrous, your comment that a Jedi ceases to be a Jedi through death or the dark side is false.

A Jedi ceases to be a Jedi by dying, chosing to terminate one's membership, or being expelled from the Order. Otherwise, one is still a Jedi, albeit a fallen one. In the novelisations, Lord Vader is called a "former Jedi Knight"; nevertheless, throughout the Dark Forces novellas, Jerec and his ilk are simply called "Jedi."

What does this mean? It means that an evil user of the Force may be a dark Jedi, or may be a former Jedi. Merely being a magistrate of the dark side does not mean that one suddenly ceases to be a Jedi.
  8. darth-skycrawler Jedi Youngling

star 2
    El Cid actually when you turn to the darkside you are no longer a jedi. A very important thing about being a jedi is that you don't turn to the darkside. It is like being a Catholic and you become a methodist. You are now a Methodist not catholic. The same when you turn to the darkside you are either a sith or dark jedi.
  9. III_Vir_RPC Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Being a dark Jedi is not equivalent to a Roman Catholic converting to Methodism, because that involves leaving one faith and joining another.

For a Jedi to become a dark Jedi is analogous to a Roman Catholic---or a practitioner of any faith---to become non-practicing.
  10. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    The difference of a Dark Jedi or Sith to a Jedi Knight is more similar to the relationship of a Satanist to a Catholic.
  11. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    mj-you have a piont about the prequals, I don't read the spoilers either just so you know, I think that Anakin didn't really chose to be a Jedi, he was too young to know what the consequences of his choices, may come into play that he doesn't want to be a jedi in EII. just a thought. And I DON'T read the spoilers.
  12. III_Vir_RPC Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The difference between a dark Jedi and a Sith Lord is the difference between a non-practicing Roman Catholic and a Christian of another denomination---one has simply stopped following the established order, and the other is a member of a totally separate and distinct order.

A dark Jedi or fallen Jedi is simply a Jedi who no longer obeys the rules of the Jedi Order. A Sith Lord is something entirely different; he is a member of a totally different Order than the Jedi.

In keeping with the denominations already used, being a non-practicing Roman Catholic does not automatically make one a Methodist, but being a Methodist does automatically make one not a Roman Catholic.

N.B.---the use of the denominations Roman Catholic and Methodist were only used in order to help illustrate a point; no offence is intended to members of either religion through the comparison with the dark Jedi and Sith, nor is it intended to suggest that either religion is somehow evil.
  13. menilma Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I didn't like jacens not using the Force philosophy. I think that when you are in his age you should have thought about those things before. I believe one makes the choice to be a Jedi earlier than that.
  14. mj Jedi Youngling

star 2
    menilma, Jacen was, what, 17 when he decided not to use the Force? I don't think that at that age he would have already made a concrete decision of what direction he wants to go with his life... I work at a career center at a university and advise many college juniors and seniors (21-22 year olds) who have no clue as to what they want or what they can do. So I don't think it's unrealistic for Jacen, who is considerably younger, to be in that boat. Sometimes it takes some people longer to figure things out. And truthfully, very few people stay one thing for their whole lives. I don't know if that holds for the GFFA, but it does seem to hold for Earth anyways.

And I will agree with some of the arguments here, that yes, Jacen probably does want to be a Jedi. In fact he wants it so bad he's terrified. But like I said in my first post, he wants to be a Jedi on his terms, not on anyone else's. The thing that siblings learn as they grow up is that we can't compete with each other and stay happy, so we each need to find our own area to be good at. My brother was the athlete and I was the academic in our family and that's how we kept the peace. Jacen can't compete with his brother or sister at what they are good at, so he needs to find his own path. He just doesn't seem to know where that is yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.