main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Becoming As One - Padawan Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Title: Becoming As One
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: Before TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon
    Genre: Introspective Drama
    Keywords: Qui-Gon, Padawan
    Summary: Qui-Gon has constructed his new lightsaber.
    Disclaimer: Once again, it all belongs to George Lucas

Becoming As One

The saber gave a green glow in the dim light of the chamber. The gem that powered the blade from within was true and perfect. The metal hilt held the perfect balance of heft and grace. This was no child?s plaything, but the weapon, the tool, of a grown man. The Living Force flowed through the blade and its owner, its power shifting and changing as the strong, long-fingered hand moved it about the room.

When he emerged from the chamber, none of his waiting peers was surprised to see the color of the young man?s blade. Qui-Gon Jinn was a Jedi with a passion for life and living things. It was reflected in all he touched, which now included his new lightsaber. He nodded to them in recognition but did not speak as the next student prepared herself to enter the chamber. She would not emerge for several days.

Qui-Gon?s body ached from many hours spent sitting in meditation. His stomach, too, was rebelling against his control due to his three-day fast. Many years of training had taught Qui-Gon how to push these needs aside as he must do now. There was an important task he must complete before returning to everyday Temple life. Leaving his agemates behind, he made his way quickly and quietly to the nearest lift chamber. He pushed the button that would bring the lift and waited for the doors to open. Thankfully the small chamber was empty when it arrived and remained so for the duration of its upward journey.

The lift reached its highest point and stopped. Qui-Gon stepped out into the small hallway and the door slid shut swiftly behind him. He approached the portal on the opposite end of the passage and palmed the button on the control panel to open it.

Strong winds whipped his long Padawan braid about his face as he stepped out onto the high platform that overlooked the city below. The shining light of day had faded into black and the bright lights of Coruscant now spread out before him in a blinking tapestry of color and motion.

Qui-Gon walked calmly and smoothly to the center of the platform. Following the urgings of the Force, he took a deep breath, filling his lungs to their utmost capacity. Next taking a neutral stance and lowering his gravity, he reached down into the well of Force energy that formed the foundation of the Temple, miles below his feet. The power rushed through him and sparked green shoots of energy through his hands. When he felt he could handle no more he knew it was time to ignite the new saber in his hands.

The blade grew instantly out of the hilt and began to pulse and sing. Sparks flashed from its tip as Qui-Gon entered the first position of his kata. He had expected to go through a simple, basic exercise, but with surprise he found that the Force told him where to place his foot next and what his next saber move should be. As he moved through each new position, peace blended with the power until he felt completely relaxed and at ease. Each new motion was as economical as he could have devised and took full advantage of his height and long reach. Each move incorporated every muscle in his body, but without leaving him fatigued. He realized that for the first time since he was a small child, Qui-Gon felt truly graceful and at one with the Force.

Block, parry, punch, and kick. Each move made sense and acted as a balance to the one before it. His muscles, at first aching with disuse, began to relax as they warmed to their task. He could sense the teeming multitude of life within the Temple and, stretching further, also within the buildings and traffic streams surrounding him. The blade glowed more brightly as he swung it through each move. It felt, truly, like an extension of his self as it became alive with his essence.

As he reached the final position in this new exercise, he felt the Living Force

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Marvelous! =D==D=

What a wonderful vignette! Excellent job of capturing Qui-Gon here :)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You know how I feel about this one! I loved it! And it made me want to [:D] and :* Qui-Gon, but that might not be solely because of your lovely words! [face_blush]

Beautiful! =D=

4. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Layren & VaderLVR64: Thank you both muchly for your kind words.

5. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    This is soooooo Qui-Gonish. You did a good job. ;)

6. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    LilQui-Gon: Thank you for your compliment. I'm really happy with the way this came out. Glad I captured Qui, he was really great to write.

7. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Wow. That was marvelous! Very lyrical, descriptive, and full of emotion. Qui-Gon's exhaustion, his elation, his energy at the end was just wonderful. =D=

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Shadowolf: Thank you for reading this piece. Don't tell Obi-Wan, but at the moment it's my favorite! I'm currently studying Tai-Chi and I think some of that has leaked out here. Qui's just so cool, too.

I may tweak this a little bit. I can see a couple of better word choices popping out now that I've had a little space from the initial flush of excited posting.

*sighs and goes off to rework my Obi stories so he doesn't get jealous*

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Jennifer_Lyn, that was stunning. It's no secret who my fave Jedi is and I think you captured his essense so perfectly. I loved how you had the construction of a lightsaber being a very personal journey. The fact he'd been directed to the roof of the Temple in order to.. bond, I suppose with his lightsaber was excellent as well and I love that it gave him confidence though he knew not his future. Very well done adn I would love to see you write more of him! [:D] [:D]

10. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Healer_Leona: I feel like I just got the official go ahead to continue to write Qui-Gon! I know how much he means to you, I'm so glad you liked this. I do have a couple more Qui bunnies on my to-do pile. I'll let ya know when they go up.

*sighs at the rapidly multiplying bunnies invading the office*

11. Darth_Serpentia

Darth_Serpentia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2005
    Being a Qui-Gon fan myself i almost cried when i read this, it was really good. Have you considered writing star wars books??

Id pick up a copy in a heartbeat

Kudos to you!

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Ah, lovely piece of work. Love anything to do with Qui, and this one was etched perfectly. Great work, m'dear. [face_love]

13. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Darth_Serpentia: I'm so glad you enjoyed my rendition of Qui-Gon. Writing a SW book would be the coolest thing ever, alas, the Lucas people pick from a corral of established authors so I won't be writing one any time soon. *sigh* You can watch for more of my work around here though! :)

Princess_Arulmozhi: Thank you kindly! It felt good to write and definitely whet my appetite to work with him more!

14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    =D= Excellent!

15. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    FelsGoddess: Thanks for reading!

16. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Vivid, as always. This is why Qui-Gon was the perfect Jedi.
    Thanks for PM-ing me about this one.

17. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    oqidaun: Hey! Glad you liked it, I thought you might. Yeah, Qui was quite perfect, though Obi's not so bad either. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.