main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Bed Balls - Qui, Obi, Touski(OC) - with Epilogue - really it's COMPLETE/FIXED this time -16-Oct-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Bed Balls
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: humor, drama, Qui-Gon Jinn bed challenge
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, OC
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, bed, balls, Jedi
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn gets up in a strange bed with a strange roommate.
    Notes: Yeah, I know what you?re thinking. So, don?t even go there?at least not on this forum. It?s strictly G-rated. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    EDIT: I had really and truly intended for this to be just a one-shot response to the Qui-Gon Bed Challenge (which is the first part) but I thought of a story to go with it (which is the rest).
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

Qui-Gon opened his eyes.

The ancient, high ceiling above was dimly illuminated with pale, orange light. He gazed up at the chipped tiles in an ancient mosiac of flowers and vines and random shapes, their scratched and faded colors dulled even more by the early morning gloom.

He inhaled the cool scents of the garden outside, the polish of the furniture in the guest room, the fibers of the bed clothes, the bedding itself. Each new planet touched the senses in unique ways and Master Qui-Gon Jinn used his waking time to note them.

He swallowed and wet his lips; the aftertaste of the previous evening?s meal had gone stale overnight even though he?d cleaned his teeth and mouth before retiring. He lay on his back, under a plush blanket, in a Yurthaki bed bin. The squashy bedding balls yielded enough to his weight so that they were not quite lumpy, but still supported his body and head. They had retired early the night before, so he felt quite rested.

A breeze outside rustled the trees and bushes by their window and a large insect buzzed, bumping its body on the window screens. Qui-Gon closed his eyes and cleared his mind; his awareness of the Force, always a presence in the back of his mind, sharpened. Other persons, the staff, the other guests, stirred in the ancient, converted fort. This place had its own routine; it moved with the rhythm of the days, the people and machines slowly inhaling and exhaling the ever changing guests that came and went from the hostel. Touski was already up and moving about in the fresher.

He wore only his long nightshirt under the soft blanket; his body had formed it?s own cocoon of warmth around him. He sensed his Padawan in the bed bin next to him, unmoving, but wakeful. Qui-Gon turned his head and opened his eyes.

Even in the low light, he could see that Obi-Wan was gone.

In his place was a long, low lump of the multi-hued bed balls that filled the bin that they had slept in. A flap of white blanket poked out from them.

Qui-Gon frowned. Obi-Wan had never slept in a Yurthaki bed bin before and Qui-Gon had told him that if he moved about too much in his sleep that he might get buried. Suppressing motion while sleeping was a minor Jedi discipline that hardly lessened one?s rest and his nearly twenty-three year old Padawan had mastered it years ago. Qui-Gon lifted his head, sensing Obi-Wan?s wakefulness.

Touski, their Yurthak roommate, exited the fresher.

Obi-Wan was hiding.

Qui-Gon had enough time to get his arms up out of the way before an enormous, four-fingered hand reached down into the bed bin. It felt about before identifying him and then the fingers, two pairs of opposing digits that were as thick as his own thigh, encircled his chest and pulled him up.

?Ooooh, you are a big one.? Touski?s wide lipless mouth grinned under her one, huge eye. Despite her protestations about how heavy he was, she still only used one of her two massive arms to lift him up over the edge of the bed bin.

?Good morning, Touski,? Qui-Gon sai

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I always love your OCs. Touski was so vivid, an entire image of her popped into my head. The bed balls were very unique. Heck, the whole thing was a very unique response to the challenge. What a fun read that was. :) =D=

3. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Such a unique way of getting into bed. Bed Balls! I love the idea. I agree with LE - I love Touski. She's a such a different person, picking up people and putting them to bed. Poor Obi-Wan. But I could feel her yearning to shower affection on people. It's difficult to write that kind of thing, without making it look all sloppy. You've done a marvelous job.

Bed Balls! :D

Wonderful response.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww that was so cute!

@};- @};- @};-

I loved how sweet, lovely and maternal Touski was and Obi-Wan was just adorable!

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was so unique. Poor Obi-Wan being picked up like some stray cat and hauled around. I could just picture it. The bed ball idea was wonderful. I know that when I took my kids to the indoor play areas and they are using those hard balls, it looks very comfortable and my kids were always asking to go back to them. So I can imagine that the bed balls would be fun - as long as you didn't move around too much. LOL..

Good job.

6. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Ah, Ardavenport, that was perfect! I could easily picture the whole thing in my mind, which is one of my unique and purely subjective standards for good writing. It's nice to see that the duo isn't always tortured, even though Obi would disagree with my assessment.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What a terrifically original and imaginative viggie. I love Touski and the bedballs! :D :D

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    LuvEwan:
    I always love your OCs. Touski was so vivid, an entire image of her popped into my head. The bed balls were very unique. Heck, the whole thing was a very unique response to the challenge. What a fun read that was.

Thanks much! I try to be different.:D

Princess_Arulmozhi:
    Such a unique way of getting into bed. Bed Balls! I love the idea. I agree with LE - I love Touski. She's a such a different person, picking up people and putting them to bed. Poor Obi-Wan. But I could feel her yearning to shower affection on people. It's difficult to write that kind of thing, without making it look all sloppy. You've done a marvelous job.

Bed Balls!

Thanks so much! Touski was meant to be phsically affectionate, without being clingy. She had her own business on the planet and she didn't need to wait for them to go to breakfast. I think that helped keep her from being too soppy. And I just liked the idea of having a really large traveling companion with them, too.:)

KELIA:
    Awww that was so cute!

I loved how sweet, lovely and maternal Touski was and Obi-Wan was just adorable!

Thanks! Cuteness can be so fun with somewhat formal Jedi.:) Qui-Gon is comfortable with it, but his padawan still needs to learn!

dianethx:
    That was so unique. Poor Obi-Wan being picked up like some stray cat and hauled around. I could just picture it. The bed ball idea was wonderful. I know that when I took my kids to the indoor play areas and they are using those hard balls, it looks very comfortable and my kids were always asking to go back to them. So I can imagine that the bed balls would be fun - as long as you didn't move around too much. LOL..

Yes, those play bins for kids were an inspiration for the bed bins in this story. How come they didn't have fun stuff like that when we were kids? Moving around could be a problem, or a good way to hide, in Obi-Wan's case.[face_mischief] Glad you enjoyed the story!

Ara-gon: Ah, Ardavenport, that was perfect! I could easily picture the whole thing in my mind, which is one of my unique and purely subjective standards for good writing. It's nice to see that the duo isn't always tortured, even though Obi would disagree with my assessment.

Thanks for reading! I always have to be able to picture things before I can write; the trick is getting that through in the prose. And I love 'torturing' those two in unique ways. :D

Healer_Leona: What a terrifically original and imaginative viggie. I love Touski and the bedballs!

Thank you! Touski seems to have made an impression. I'll have think about whether or not I'm going to do anything else with her.

9. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Must admit I read this a while ago and forgot to reply - [face_blush] bad me...

It was the title that drew me in...ahem... ;)

?Ooooh, you are a big one.? Touski?s wide lipless mouth grinned under her one, huge eye. Despite her protestations about how heavy he was, she still only used one of her two massive arms to lift him up over the edge of the bed bin

[face_laugh]

Great fic - I don't think I've read anything like it. I really liked Touski and poor obi-wan -not wanting to be a bed ball!

I really enjoyed this ardavenport :D

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Kestrel_Kenobi: It was the title that drew me in...ahem...

Great fic - I don't think I've read anything like it. I really liked Touski and poor obi-wan -not wanting to be a bed ball!

Yes, well that title....when I finished writing it there was only one thing that the title could be, but I was wondering if it might scare people off. Oh, and don't we want our own Obi-Wan bed ball. [face_love]

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the reply!

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    ?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o? Part 2

Obi-Wan climbed up the rocky path. Sometimes he needed to use his hands for balance when it became very steep. His Master had kept a steady pace since they?d begun climbing Tilthny Hill, at sunrise. It was now mid-morning and they had almost reached their objective near the summit.

A rented speeder or speeder bike would have gotten them to the Outpost much more quickly, but Qui-Gon had said that there was value to climbing up to it on foot. Obi-Wan cleared his thoughts of any cluttering thoughts of their trip, or their accommodations, or their roommate, leaving his mind open to all his senses and the Force, to his feelings, to any little intuition for where he should look, or what Qui-Gon wanted him to see.

At first, he?d only noted the fresh air, the clear, blue sky above, the green and orange vegetation that became shorter and hardier as they climbed higher. But halfway up, he suddenly saw a pattern in the random jumble of rocks so vivid that he wondered why had hadn?t seen it before. The jumbled path had once been paved with the natural rocks, arranged into steps up the hill. The Jedi Outpost had been abandoned 8,000 years ago; age and weather had reclaimed the path, but the subtle sense of the Force still remained in the living plants, through the hill and the rocks they grew on.

Some places were strong with the Force, like cosmic memory. The Jedi Temple on Coruscant, with it?s constant Jedi presence for thousands of years, resonated with the Force. A Jedi could spend a lifetime just exploring the subtleties of that one place, but real awareness came also from studies outside the Temple. If one lived only in one place, in the thick of the Force, one could not appreciate the whole of it in the galaxy. Even the youngest initiates left the Temple, led by their Creche Masters for little ?missions? to other parts of Coruscant, just so they could feel the difference.

To Obi-Wan?s right and slightly above, was Qui-Gon?s boot, under the hem of his dark brown robe that was the same color as the soil that was thickly overgrown with short, leafy grasses, occasionally dotted with small pink and white flowers. Qui-Gon had reached a stone wall that rose high over his head. He stepped to his right, over a gap in the rocks, his boots scraping on the uneven stones. Obi-Wan climbed up after him.

They now stood on a recognizable pathway, an ancient wall of boulder-sized natural stones on their left. They followed the path and wall to the remains of an archway. Obi-Wan walked through it behind his Master into the shell of a circular courtyard full of grasses and knee-high, stubbly bushes.

Qui-Gon glided upward, onto a rock base near the middle of the courtyard. A breeze billowed his dark, brown robe behind him.

??Ah?oo?oo?ee.?

?What?? Obi-Wan asked, confused.

?What do you see, Obi-Wan??

Qui-Gon?s back was to him, his tall form framed by the sky, heavy with gray clouds. The wind picked up the strands of his Master?s long hair, blowing them all around his head. Obi-Wan looked about him. Parts of the ancient walls rose overhead. Other parts were tumbles of stones that he could easily climb over. There were a few dingy-bronze pillars lying on their sides and some broken pieces with right-angle shapes, but not enough remained to immediately tell what they had once been.

?Um, the Outpost,? he answered uncertainly.

He saw Qui-Gon?s head move from side to side. No.

?What do you hear, Obi-Wan??

Obi-Wan listened carefully, determined to answer correctly this time. There had been the occasional buzzing insects and the caws of some animals in the distance, and the sounds that they had made, walking. But now he couldn?t hear any of it, the wind was getting so loud. It tugged at his braid and blew his own robe back.

The wind? he wondered. Was that it?

Obi-Wan was sure that this test could not be that easy. He looked deeper. Into himself.

?My heart,? he said. ?I hear my heart.?

Again, he saw the back of Qui-Gon?s head move

12. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    That's wonderful, Anne. I'm curious as to why there was the difference between the image Qui-Gon was sending and the vision that Obi-Wan received. Perhaps the Force has added a lesson beyond the one Qui-Gon intended. [face_thinking]

The descriptions were a vivid as always.

Please send me a PM when you update.

13. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Splendid update. Love the way Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan the intricacies of visions. The way he led him through it was astounding, to say the least. It all sounds so in keeping with the way the Force behaves. Like the way Obi-Wan began on creating his own vision too. Marvelous.

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Very vivid. I could almost smell the fresh air and hear the wind. I liked the description of visions and how they can mislead. I have to wonder at Obi-Wan's second vision though. Sounds like he's remembering Mustafar in a way with the orange light and Qui-Gon gone.

Good job.

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan here. Lovely!

?What do you perceive from your vision, my young Padawan??

Obi-Wan lowered his head. He didn?t think about what he had experienced; Qui-Gon had already told him not to do that. He simply let it re-play in his mind. ?I was more concerned with having the right answer than I was with learning,? he admitted. ?They are not the same. There may not be a right answer.?

Qui-Gon Jinn?s posture subtly changed. He became less the instructor and more the comrade. ?I would say so as well,? he agreed quietly. He picked his own, smaller rock outcropping and sat down, facing Obi-Wan.

=D=

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ara-gon: That's wonderful, Anne. I'm curious as to why there was the difference between the image Qui-Gon was sending and the vision that Obi-Wan received. Perhaps the Force has added a lesson beyond the one Qui-Gon intended.

Ah, there will be more about it in later posts, but the short answer is that vision have a mind of their own. Thanks for reading!

Princess_Arulmozhi: Splendid update. Love the way Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan the intricacies of visions. The way he led him through it was astounding, to say the least. It all sounds so in keeping with the way the Force behaves. Like the way Obi-Wan began on creating his own vision too. Marvelous.

Glad you liked it! I like it when Qui-Gon teaches Obi-Wan things, one-on-one. They were together for years, so there must have been a bit of that. We know Jedi have visions. Luke had one on Dagobah in TESB and Anakin had one in the Clone Wars cartoons, so I like to think that visions are something Jedi ?study? when they?re padawans. They are tough to quantify but fun to speculate about.

dianethx: Very vivid. I could almost smell the fresh air and hear the wind. I liked the description of visions and how they can mislead. I have to wonder at Obi-Wan's second vision though. Sounds like he's remembering Mustafar in a way with the orange light and Qui-Gon gone.

Well, that Outpost is a combination of a big, rocky hill in Connecticut and every Viking ruin some friends of mine took me to in Scotland last year. It absolutely makes it easier to write if you?re using some place you?ve been to for reference. I thought about Mustafar with the orange sky, but without the heat and the molten rock, it could just be orange. Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan here. Lovely!

Thank you! It seems to take me just ages to write scenes like those, with lots of sentence fragments that get juggled around and sometimes dropped, sometimes not.

And now, some more....

?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o? part 3

When Touski saw her two Jedi enter the dining area, her mood improved immediately.

?Oooooh!? She raised her hand, her fingertips brushing the ceiling. Qui-Gon Jinn spotted her immediately and soon the dining hall?s servitor droid led them up to her table. It was, of course, too low for her, but just right for them, sitting in small, rigid chairs. She sat comfortably on a floor cushion.

Qui-Gon Jinn gave the droid their order and it scurried off back down the ramp. Their table was on an upper level, where other tables had been pushed back to make enough for her floor cushion. They could see the other patrons of the hostel finishing up their meals. It was late in the evening and the dining hall was barely a quarter full.

Touski sucked more slowly on her dinner tube. The tank next to the table was still two thirds full, but she didn?t want to finish before her guests even began their meals. It was better to eat more slowly anyway. She always sucked in her food too quickly when she was upset.

Qui-Gon Jinn told her the he and his student had walked all day around the Jedi Outpost in the local preserve and that the weather had been ideal. Then he asked how her day had been. Touski gulped down a huge, fragrant mouthful and pushed the tube to the side of her mouth.

?Oh, well,? she began, ?rather badly, really.? She couldn?t bring herself to lie about it. Nothing good ever came from that, especially for her poor cousin. The servitor droid returned with her Jedis? dinners, tiny specks of dry, colored food on little plates and cups of brown liquid. They both began eating, using delicate little instruments to cut up and deposit bits of food in their mouths. It was a fascinating ritual. Most humanoids rarely allowed themselves to touch their food with their fingers.

?The desk manager told me,? Touski began, ?that only Jedi and park rangers are allowed in the Togtiz Preserve. Otherwise, it?s a completely closed nature reservoir for thi

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o? part 4

Master Qui-Gon Jinn opened one deep blue eye.

The bridge of Obi-Wan?s nose crinkled with concentration. Qui-Gon sighed.

?You are trying too hard, Obi-Wan.?

Obi-Wan guiltily opened his blue-gray eyes. A crinkle of disappointment remained on his otherwise smooth and youthful face.

?I?m sorry, Master. I feel...distracted.?

?That is quite understandable, my young Padawan.? After the previous day?s successes, Obi-Wan had failed to produce any visions at all, either in himself, or projecting any to Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan had remarkable patience, when he applied himself, but Qui-Gon could sense the frustration creeping into his latest efforts.

It was afternoon. They sat together on a flat, cracked plasti-stone floor next to the remains of a vine-covered wall. The sky overhead was gray and gloomy with clouds.

?Visions do not behave by the ordinary rules that Jedi come to expect when using the Force.? Qui-Gon extended his hand. A round pebble on ground lifted up and floated into his waiting palm. ?The Force guides our actions as we use it.? The small stone rose again. ?But it contains many mysteries that cannot be comprehended. Or controlled.?

Obi-Wan raised his hand and the pebble floated to him. He snatched the pebble out of the air, holding it tightly in his fist. Then his hand relaxed and opened. The pebble rose in the air again. Qui-Gon watched as his apprentice turned pebble over in a subtle exercise of control. Qui-Gon felt Obi-Wan?s thoughts calm, reassured that the Force was still with him in some way.

Qui-Gon smiled as he recalled his own first frustrations with visions. He had demanded of his own Master why Jedi needed to learn such things.

?Because they?re there,? had been Dooku?s stern reply.

That had been the only response he could get from him. Unsatisfied, Qui-Gon had applied himself to studying visions in the Jedi Archives in the Temple, but after many days and nights of searching and respectfully seeking wisdom from several older Masters, Qui-Gon had learned that there really wasn?t any better reason for visions than what Dooku had told him.

Visions were simply there in the Force. So, Jedi studied them. And possibly learned from them. Possibly not.

Obi-Wan plucked the pebble from the air with thumb and forefinger. He flicked it away. It bounced off the wall and ticked on the rocks before coming to rest in a patch of tall grass.

?We learn about visions because they are part of the Force. There is no other reason.? Obi-Wan nodded, but he did not look happy about the lack of any results for the whole day. Qui-Gon wondered which was worse, when visions came with their hints of cruel self-revelation, or when they didn?t, when their absence could be just as disturbing.

Qui-Gon placed his hands on his knees and stood.

?That is all for today,? he announced.

Obi-Wan stood. He didn?t speak, but Qui-Gon could see that he was relieved. They both bent to pick up their robes, lying in a lump of browns where they?d put them. They shook out the bits of leaves and dirt that inevitably got into the folds before putting them on to go.

?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o?

Obi-Wan piloted the rented speeder bike into the covered parking area of the hostel. Qui-Gon sat in the passenger seat immediately behind him. It was a modest rental, painted dull gold, not too fast for a speeder bike, but sturdy and good for traveling over rough ground. The simple task of driving it had given Obi-Wan some welcome distraction from the day?s failures.

He parked in a reserved space and Qui-Gon took their room ID chit from a pouch and flashed it before an attendant droid that flashed back a yellow affirmative to them. They exited the gray parking enclosure through an open, round door. Rough, woven mats muffled their footsteps in the corridors of the hostel. Lush, green and yellow plants decorated the bases of the pillars; displays of ancient, metal weapons decorated the walls between them. They passed by several roo

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan. First the visions won't come and then to be handled by this huge being, gentle as she may be. That would really get to me. Scary almost. I have to wonder if she hadn't hurt smaller beings once in a while with her being so big and others much smaller.

Good job.

19. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    I really, really like Touski. She may be this algae-sucking creature, but she's obviously filled with a great deal of love and compassion. She seems to be one of those huggy-people. Such simple kindness is so very rare - it's such a refreshing thing to come across. I expect Qui-Gon fully relishes all the Living Force energy. I'd subject to a good deal of hugging too.

Poor Obi-Wan. Muddled about the Force and visions. I was expecting him to go wham! into a vision at the dinner table. At least he's more like Qui-Gon now. [face_love]

20. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    I love Touski. She's so compassionate. And the way she perceives the two Jedi is fascinating, from their tiny size (to her) to her observations of how they eat.

?Hmm.? Touski?s green eye looked carefully at him. ?You feel more like Qui-Gon Jinn, now,? Interesting. Sounds like Touski has some level of Force awareness.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Lost this one awhile ago and look, I've got a couple posts to read. :D :D

Visions were simply there in the Force. So, Jedi studied them. And possibly learned from them. Possibly not.

Seems like such a simple line, but I love the idea that the Jedi may know visions can't always be interpreted or even trusted.

MIght I ask for a PM when you update again. :D :D

22. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Your characterization skills are phenomenal. Touski has so many dimensions, but above all she has a good heart. I love Obi-Wan's reactions to her, how different they are from Qui-Gon's. It's so interesting to read about the differences there are between them; you describe the contrasts and the similiarities beautifully. I know as soon as I click on your stories that I'm in for a totally unique and absorbing read--which is why I'm always excited to see a new story or post. :D

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx: Thanks for reading! Visions are a tough lesson for Obi-Wan, but I think they would be rough on all Jedi. And Touski is a little too intrusive for Obi-Wan?s taste, but I?m sure that Qui-Gon wouldn?t let her pick him up if there was any chance of her hurting either oft hem.

Princess_Arulmozhi: Glad you like Touski! She has been fun to write. And Qui-Gon can be quite hggable. Yes, Touski is full of Living Force energy and that?s part of her appeal to Qui-Gon.

I didn?t really think about Obi-Wan having a vision during dinner, though that certainly would have spoiled the meal. That would probably be very, very rare for a waking vision; it would certainly cause all sorts of problems for Jedi if it happened much. Obi-Wan will have plenty of problems with visions without them sneaking up on him while he?s eating.

Ara-gon: Thanks! Touski?s POV is a different way of looking at our Jedi, which just reveals more about them. I wasn?t thinking of her as being Force aware at all, but she notices when Obi-Wan loosens up a bit.

Healer_Leona: Thanks for reading! I think Jedi have to treat visions suspiciously; ?always in motion, the future is.? So, there?s no way to really be sure about what they mean, if they mean anything.

LuvEwan: Thank-you very, very, very, very much! I wanted Touski to be compassionate, but not clinging, though too physically intrusive for Obi-Wan. It?s fun embarrassing him.

And now, some more....

?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o? part 5

Qui-Gon opened his eyes.

He saw the ancient, high ceiling above him in a thin, colorless light, the tile mosaics in unidentifiable grays and blacks. It was overcast outside.

The air felt cool, but a pleasant contrast to the warmth under his blanket. He inhaled the scents of the garden below the room?s window, the room?s furnishings, the occupants...

Qui-Gon sat up, leaning on the edge of the bed bin to steady himself on the bedding balls. He could hardly see in the gloom, but there was clearly no huge mound in the other bed bin. He discerned no subtle bumping from the fresher, nor any other subliminal hints of the presence of another person nearby.

Touski was not in their room.

She had not gone to bed at all.

Obi-Wan stirred and sat up, carefully on the bed balls. They both climbed out of the bin and went to the fresher. Since it had to be spacious enough to accommodate Touski, there was easily enough room for them both to use the facilities and dress. Qui-Gon finished quickly, forcing Obi-Wan to hurry. He silently led the way down the stairs, his Padawan following. They exited at a below-ground level and went down an old, but well-lit corridor. They stopped at a transparisteel door, the glowing sign next to it read ?Com Center?. The smaller print under that listed the rates.

They went in. A thin-faced clerk in gray behind a high desk confirmed that Touski was engaged in a private conference-com, but refused to say anything more. Qui-Gon didn?t need any more confirmation. Behind one large door, he could just hear the sounds of Touski?s voice, edged with sharp emotion. Qui-Gon stood a moment, listening, his eyes half-closed. Touski?s sweet tones had gone hard and loud, forceful and...angry. He exhaled and turned away, dismayed to know that Touski?s family was making her so unhappy.

He left the com center. Obi-Wan silently followed behind him.

?o(((O)))oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo(((O)))o?

Obi-Wan looked down into the hole; the cracked stairs led to the underground ruins of the Outpost. Rocks and rough plants clustered about the opening. The sunlight barely brightened its shadowy depths.

?What?s down there?? he asked.

?The past,? Qui-Gon said, staring down into the hole as well. ?All of them.?

Obi-Wan turned to look at his Master, but Qui-Gon did not look up. Obi-Wan again followed his Master?s gaze downward. He put his foot on the edge, then moved forward, his other foot going down onto the next, uneven step, then another. He reached ou

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent post ardavenport . I love you how you write Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. [face_love]

25. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Very beautiful, Anne. I loved the way you described Obi-Wan's 'fall' into a vision ... and the way Qui-Gon comforted him, when he was out of it. [face_love] The explanation Qui-Gon gives about when a vision ends or begins was classic - very Qui-Gon, and quite logical.

Looking forward to more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.