St. Lou, MO Beer Meeting

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
  2. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    I must say, based on the meetings I have been to, any meeting can and usually does turn into a beer meeting of sorts.
  3. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
  4. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats only because we got thrown out of the bowling alley before the beer came out.
  5. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    We didn't get thrown out did we?
  6. KOB Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Sorry I missed that one!
  7. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    What kind of people would we be if we let our younger members be involved in a BEER meeting? It would be unethical...

Ken, I am hurt that you seem to be suggesting that I am leading them astray...you know me better than that...

I simply wanted to be with the people of this group who I have come to really enjoy being with. I don't drink and was looking for a happy medium for all involved.

I am very sorry to have started this whole thing by suggesting this meeting... I apogolize to anyone that I may have offended or upset. I won't suggest such a thing in the future.
  8. KOB Jedi Youngling

star 4
    OK.... is EVERYBODY around here getting overly-sensitive? :eek:
  9. DarthShoey Jedi Master

star 4
    Christina - you didn't do anything wrong, you have nothing to apologize for. Suggest whatever you want, when you want to suggest!

The Landing is a good central meeting place. It's not in anybody's back yard. Here's my two cents - Westport is extremely inconvenient for me. I've thought about making the trek out there, but by the time I get there and have a couple of drinks, I'm guessing most will be ready to go home. This group has got to realize no one meeting place/meeting time is going to be convenient for everybody. It's up to the individual members as to how important attending meetings/get together are to them.

The most important issue to me is TIME! I'd love to hit every gathering, but to use the cliche, "time is money" to me. That's the single reason I'd love to see a set meeting time or weekend (something) for our group. Take a look at any successful fanforce and you'll see that they have specified dates or weekends for their different clubs to meet. For instance, the Chicago Fanforce has a collector's club that meets on the third Sunday of every month in the same location. The people that want to attend know this months in advance. I forget which other fanforce I looked at that had a book club that meets at their local Borders the second Tuesday of every month to discuss what book their currently reading. Take a look around at some of them and check it out.

There have been times that our beer meeting locations have changed THE DAY of the beer meeting (Once or twice on the way there!!). How great is that if a new member was planning to hit a gathering and didn't know the location had changed, because they didn't check the boards right before they left the house? Do you think they'll be gung ho to attend another?

Look at me - whining like a Jawa that fell off a Ronto

Anyway, Christina - no apology needed! You're fine :)

EDIT: Yeah, I think that's a rant! and KOB - I've always been overly-sensitive, just in a "I don't give a rat-ass kind of way" :)
  10. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I'm all for having them at a set week each month, but can we ever agree on the week? The holidays messed things up before, but that's not an issue now.

The last couple Beer meetings haven't been as well planned as ones past. Some have been last minute things where we got together for one reason or another. We haven't had a really pre-planned one in ages.

Then the questions comes, if we make these regular, do we really want to have them every month? They cannot be regular meetings because of their nature, so that would mean 2 events a month. I also would consider us a relatively successful FanForce. I've seen others that have regular meeting dates that are no where as near as large as we are. It all depends on the people in the group IMO.

I can't speak for Christina, but I know I've felt a little under apreciated lately. Yeah, I've made some blunders recently, but still. I've got some other issues right now that are making me a tad touchy as well. Darth Real Life is a cruel dude.
  11. KOB Jedi Youngling

star 4
    We just need a big group hug over here, too! [:D]
  12. Tovel_Cond Jedi Knight

star 1
    Right. I was under the impression that this board was created for good recreational FUN. I think we should all think about that for a second, before we start taking ourselves too seriously. This is a MESSAGE BOARD. Intended to express opinions, thoughts, suggestions, whatever. Don't let this consume you. Real life is a pain. I know we will all agree with that.

But, it's quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think that we should have "reserves" stand behind our board Leaders. These "reserves" are people elected to take over for a set amount of time while that current Leader is unable to tend to the board because of the fact that real life is indeed being a pain.

But, again, it's quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. [face_plain]
  13. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Tovel, I get the first half of what you said, but I have no clue what you are talking about with the second half. Please clarify.
  14. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Basically, someone to step in for CR when Darth Real Life gets in the way.

Which we already have. It's called the Council.
  15. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I can't speak for Christina, but I know I've felt a little under apreciated lately.

You are speaking for me. Maybe that is being ?overly sensitive?, but I will got a step further and say I also feel personally insulted by a few as well. I love this group, and usually we all get along great. There just seems to be a lot a tension lately. I do fear posting anything anymore because it will cause some sort of backlash, when it was never meant as an insult or a flame?this seems to be a good place as any, to sort this all out.

Which we already have. It's called the Council.

I agree, Jon. I also think it is going to take a little time for all us to find our niche and be able to stand in and work effectively with each other. I for one, will do what is needed of me. Like I said, I love this group of people, and I am extremely happy to meet all of you.
  16. Darthtrader Jedi Master

star 1
    I think the original intention of these "beer meetings" has been lost.They wern't meant to be another club meeting but for people who actually "drink beer".I could say allot more here about
    being under apreciated but I'll save it for now.
  17. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    *Comes in to ask something, looks around, and slowly backs out*

"Beer,wha...?"
    8-}
  18. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    Everybody chill! Yes, beer meetings are mainly for the "over 21 group", but I really like the idea of having them in a place where our younger members can join us for appetizers and POP ( :) ). Course, there's no reason we can't change venue on occasion. Like going to Jersey's...

Depending on if Tim (Shooey) is going or not, meeting farther out west might be a better idea this time. Nobody really wants to drive too far to a beer meeting...that's very understandable.

My darling friends, it's all about flexibility (and a bit of tolerance). :D Love you guys!
  19. KOB Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I think the original intention of these "beer meetings" has been lost.They wern't meant to be another club meeting but for people who actually "drink beer".

I have to agree. If we want to change the format and just have a "non-meeting" get together, we should change the name. Call it a "social" or something. But the title "Beer Meeting" speaks for itself.
  20. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Want me to change the title, I'll do that now then? They were always just here and there, never a monthly thing.
  21. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes. Changing a bit of semantics will fix your squabbling. Because that's the problem....
  22. KOB Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't think "Meeting" was the problem word.... :p
  23. Tovel_Cond Jedi Knight

star 1

But, again, it's quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

See. Told ya. I never do. Hence the quote in my signature. [face_peace]
  24. DarthShoey Jedi Master

star 4
    Depending on if Tim (Shooey) is going or not, meeting farther out west might be a better idea this time. Nobody really wants to drive too far to a beer meeting...that's very understandable.

Please don't lay this on my shoulders. Someone please just pick a place. Today's Wednesday, I was guessing this was going to be this weekend sometime. I'd like to try to have some kind of a gameplan for the weekend before it's Saturday afternoon.

After all this we NEED a beer meeting.

25. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Either way I'm out this time around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.