main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before and Afters

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    In a lot of 3D visualization and animation, most 3D artwork starts with a 2D design. Drawings, conceptual art, paintings, color pallets, all sorts of ink and paint work is the starting inspiration to a lot of great amature and professional work.

I wanted to start a topic about the progression in this digital medium. Anyone can post their own artwork in this thread, I don't mind. I figure it'd be a great way to compare artistic styles and what you can do with them.

Here is an old Before and After that I did:

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/compare6.jpg]
    (Concept art thanks to ConceptArtist)

And here's a couple of pictures showing a rather new Before and After of a planetary system.

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/nandooith_previs.jpg] [image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/nandooith03.jpg]
    (Concept art by Bothelo. Textures by DiabloBlanco17)

Discuss, review, and/or post your own.

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Got some nice looking stuff here Corrin! Keep it up!

3. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    it would be great, for the second picture, if you could put the same nebula in the background of the 3D version

4. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm emailing my concept artist to find out if he used a NASA photo or what so I don't have to create it from scratch.

5. Ravenger

Ravenger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    is that a startrek starbase in the space concept art shot?

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Space Stations look a lot a like in a lot of scifi shows. I'm told he made that one up, but it could have derived from something he saw once. Maybe...

7. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    It's a NASA photo; the Pelican nebula I believe. Give me a minute and I'll find it.

EDIT: Pelican Nebula Images

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    BTW, thanks so much for the Nandooith textures, DiabloBlanco17. And thanks again for finding that out.

Here is another "after" making the last on an "in between".

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/nandooith05.jpg]

9. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    looks good, one comment tho...

there's line in the image, I'm guessing you textured it to a plane and placed it in the scene...?

Darksteps...

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    The funny thing is you people assume all CGI has to be 3D.

No, I photoshopped a picture of the nebula to the star map.

I also photoshopped the ring there, cause it looks hidious in 3D.

Edit: But where's the line? I can't see it.

11. super_dumb_kid

super_dumb_kid Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2002
    Overall pretty good...

My only constructive comment is for the space scene your planet is green, light source is yellowish, nebula is blue and red. So you have 3 relatively cooler colors green yellow blu taht mesh well but makes the red kind of jarring... maybe make the nubula all blue?

12. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    On a point of view of color, I see where you're coming from. That is very good advice, and I would take it if I wanted to make it a soothing image.

However, the clash of red actually fits the mood of the scene. This serene planet is about to be payed a visit by the Emperor himself, and quite a bit of violence will ensue. The red helps to foreshadow that something unsettling is about to happen.

And THANK YOU for pointing it out. I didn't realize how much it fit into the scene until you said something. :)

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You do realize that this is a 3D forum, right? Seems the logical assumption to me.

M. Scott

14. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    it's a vertical line that is just to the left of the bottom moon... I've prolly got my gamma higher since I'm on a laptop, and it stands out like a sore thumb... but it goes from the bottom of the image to the top...

Darksteps...

15. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    It's definitely there. It's real vague until I look at my LCD monitor from a high angle. Then it's obvious. It looks like what would happen if the background image had two layers that were separated by a single pixel, with a white background.

However, the clash of red actually fits the mood of the scene. This serene planet is about to be payed a visit by the Emperor himself, and quite a bit of violence will ensue. The red helps to foreshadow that something unsettling is about to happen.

I doubt your audience is going to notice that, let alone appreciate it. IMO, you're really just covering up poor aesthetics with a ** rationalization. I got enough of that in my high school English classes.

Of course, it doesn't look that bad anyway, so I'm not really sure why I'm criticizing.

16. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    With the blue grey super star destroyers, and grey space stations, when I change it to more of a blueish nebula it looks somewhat monochromatic and dull.

However, in the final shot, the red is darker, more muted, and more faded than in that picture, so it is not as glaring as in that photograph.

As for the line, I kicked up the brightness on my monitor, and poof, there it was. I fixed it.

Note the "all". "All" is an absolute. Even in 3D, Matte painting is not a lost art, and while this forum does discuss 3D, and my image does have 3D, once in a while the best thing is that works doesn't involve 3D.

I apologize if my reply was even slightly offensive. It was only a simple statement made in a speedy reply that signifies that not all CGI is 3D. (A realization that I've had to make in order to create some of the effects I've learned how to do.)

17. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I had a film teacher show me through logical rational steps that by showing R2-D2 and C-3P0 first in Star Wars, it was a subtle way of saying the movie was about the Human Condition.

R2-D2 was blue, grey, and white, and was shaped funny. His shape meant he was hard to understand or relate to. Blue is a cool, soothing color, meaning R2-D2 is a calm, clear thinking individual. R2-D2 is white, meaning he's a good guy, and he's grey, a logical computer/machine.

C-3P0 was yellow gold (there is yellow gold and white gold, a fact anyone who's shopped for rings knows), and shaped like a human. He was someone we could understand or easily relate to. Yellow is a warm color, meaning he's very emotional. Yellow also signifies that he's a coward.

By showing two individuals that represent both the logical and emotional sides of an individual, together they represent one human being.

Who knows. Perhaps it is BS rationalization, but it made sense.

As for my shot, that planet is the location for the meteor shower sequence in my film that many of you have already seen. Serene blues and greens destroyed by fiery reds and blacks. So what if most people don't appreciate the foreshadowing, it's there for the people that do.

18. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    And you can rationalize to virtually any conclusion you want using symbolism, no matter how absurd, because language and other symbols always have a wealth of multiple meanings. For the most bizarre example possible of this, go read Harlan Ellison's "Riders of the Purple Wage."

Ooh, literary argument on a 3d forum! Haven't seen this one before.

EDIT: As a personal example, I wrote a short story for an English class back in high school. I was thoroughly fed up with my teacher's love of symbolic rationalization by that point, so I made sure I included no symbolism. When the guy assigned to review my story did so, he found tons of examples of what he had rationalized as symbolism anyway. Some of it sounded good, and some of it was even close to the mark in terms of the conclusions drawn, but the majority was absolute BS as far as the story I wrote was concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.