main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Before I Lose You (J/NY ANGSTY one-shot. You've been warned.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vongchild, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Title: Before I Lose You
    Author: Vongchild
    Era: Post NJO (AU)
    Genre: ANGST
    Couple: J/NY
    Notes: Well, I?m finally breaking away from the OSAL timeline to do something unrelated in the ?ship. It?s an Angst!bunny I've had for a while, bugging me and nibbling on my ears. So I finally wrote it. And don't say I'm attacking my own laws of Yuuzhie Genetics. OSAL isn't Canon. And this is probably more realistic, anyways.

Before I Lose You

Nen Yim?s hands were numbly draped around a mug of tea. Her eyes were fixed unfocused on the wall. Jacen sat next to his wife, his eyes just as expressionless, his hands just as unmoving around a mug long gone cold. The house was too quiet, he thought bitterly. This time, six months ago, he and Nen Yim had both believed that there would be a child in their lives sometime soon.

But, he reminded himself, they had been foolish to believe that.

Three other times they had believed that, and three other times their hopes had been crushed by nature; by the pure fact that there was only a one in ten chance that the genetics would align correctly.

Nen Yim had taken the most recent loss especially badly. In exchange for her hyper-tuned immune system that she had developed as a shaper, she had been consciously aware of every miniscule movement of the child. Her shock at the loss had been debilitating.

Six months.

The house shouldn?t have been quiet.

Jacen opened his mouth to speak, but only a dry sound emerged. Nen Yim pushed her mug away and stood up.

?Jacen,? she said softly. ?These last two months??

?You didn?t say anything,? he interrupted when she trailed off. ?Why??

?Because I knew the chances were slim,? she replied. ?And I was right. Unfortunately. I thought that if I didn?t tell you again, if I just dealt with it on my own? I?ve seen how upset you get every time??

?It hurts you more,? Jacen replied.

?I?m strong,? replied Nen Yim. ?I can?? she faltered. Jacen pushed his chair away from the table and stood in front of her, drawing her close in an embrace. Closing his eyes and reaching out with the force, he found a small, flickering light within the familiar void.

Just to meet you, before I lose you, he thought, wrapping his force presence gently around it, trying to hold on. It was no use. The light flickered. Smaller. And smaller. And smaller.

Until, finally, there was nothing left to hold on to.

Fin.

2. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    :_| Aww man! That's so sad, no wonder why you wouldn't let me see it!:_| You are evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! *rereads* Wait... she's dead?!:_|:_|:_|

3. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    No, Dev.... Geez.

Yeah, that's exactly why I wouldn't show you. Because you'd try to talk me out of it.

4. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry.

Almost didn't make it.

Excellent vignette here... very sad, but I liked it.

5. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    AlisonC- there's nothing to be ashamed of in crying.

Thanks. :)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohhhh, warned or not, it's still terribly sad. :( :_|

7. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Nooooooo!
    Somehow I love the idea of Jacen and Nem Yim. But their child.... :_| They deserve a child!

8. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Leona - I've found that since I so *rarely* write tearjerker angst I *have* to warn people. Because more of my readers are *such* happy people. [/face_dripping_with_sarcasm] And you say you don't know J/NY! I've seen you in every J/NY fic on the boards! :eek:

Chilla- I've given them one in every other J/NY fic I've done. I felt I had might as well be realistic for once. It's very plausible that an interspecies couple would run into dificulty in this area.

Don't worry, Nen! You'll get it someday!

9. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Oh no, I loved it! ;) I would never talk you out of something. ;)

10. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    That was beautiful. =D= Sad, of course, but wonderfully written. =D=

11. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    whoa...

wasn't sure how I felt about the NY/J ship before...but this was tragically incredible. very well done, almost got me to cry too... :(

12. JediBettyBug18

JediBettyBug18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    I won't really venture out of my territory for j/ny, but i liked this one.

BettyBug

13. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    JoE- Thanks! :)

Tk-421 - Another satisfied customer. [face_devil] So, have I nearly converted you? :p

BettyBug - Aw, but J/NY sooo blows J/TK out of the water! (Actually, though I don't admit it much, I'm very tolerant of J/TK, being a shipper of it myself sometimes.) Thanks! :)

14. JediBettyBug18

JediBettyBug18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    if my opinion amounts to a hill of beans, j/ny just splashes j/tk. But hey, i ship j/z too against the odds.

Will we be expecting anything else?

BettyBug

15. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    LOL. Actually, I've got a few other plot bunnys in development in addition to a full-lengther already posted. (Of Scars and Love, aka OSAL. there's a link in the co-authored section of my fics page, the link to which you may find in my profile.)

16. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I am all teary eyed now. I thought I had lost a child once and the process was... awful. To know and feel one move inside you and then lose her... three? times? How horrible!

I love the understated agony you wrote. No dramatics, just quiet and very profound sorrow.

Well done.

17. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Z- I'm sorry I've made you cry. (I've realized my angst has that affect on people. [face_thinking] ) And actually, four. Wait, no, five! [face_worried] I'm more like Lusa_thul every day - I rag on her for beating Lusa and Raynar with the angst!stick, and then look what I turn around and do!

It's all terribly quiet.... [face_shhh]

18. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm sorry if I sounded angry or soemthing like that. But I was very sad about it. My mother has also lost one child, about 1 year before my little brother came. Although I was very young, about 6 years old or even less, I was very sad. And the pregnancy with my brother was a risk - my mother was already 40.

19. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    No, you didn't sound angry.

20. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Lovely, lovely, VC! Sorry its taken me so long to get around to this! Been busy, as you've heard! :p Great job! Short but sweet! I'm still not converted, but I won't nind reading more of these! :p

21. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Lusa - resistance is futile... [face_devil]

22. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    I should be working on "The Past as Another Land"... But I'm procrastinating instead. :)

23. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
  24. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    :eek: I can't believe it, you killed their child! *goes after VongChild with a bat* But seriously, it was beautiful!

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Vc: " :(" ... but, that said, it was very well-written....

I'm impressed with the way you balanced the 'fic around two little insights through their different senses - her physical awareness and his Force-sensitivity - and in doing so, captured both the differences between them, and their fundamental similarity...

It was beautiful. Precious. Peaceful, somehow. I'm not sure what I can say more than that.

Kudos.

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.