main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before seeing ROTJ, what did you think Vader looked like beneath the mask?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSerta, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I always thougt that vader was severly injured and had his face completly destroyed . the face presented in Rotj seems a guy with a lot of makeup . What is your opinion.?

2. TK-2432

TK-2432 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2005
    A big black dude!

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I thought it would look more deformed like the back of his head in TESB.

4. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    That´s exactly what i´m saying, Ep.V Vader looks much more scared than in Ep.Vi. Inh Ep.VI vader has almost no scars and he suresly doesn´t looks burnt. In Ep.V he´s almost in living flesh.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Thats exactly what Irvin Kershner thought. He described his version of Vader as being a hidious monster, with a face that was massively deformed with one eye sagging and such. I think the reason ROTJ attempted to humanize Vader was that it was unwillingly made into the final Star Wars film--at the time of ESB the saga, Luke's saga, would continue for another four episodes and Vader was to remain largely in the villain role; when ROTJ was made into the final film, most of the movie was spent trying to resolve the "i am your father" subplot and hence Vader and his humanity became the focal point of the film (and hence the whole series i suppose).

6. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    In the end of ROTJ , i don´t know why anakin needs the mask .If he can talk , he can breed. i bouht the 1983 comic adaptatin TPB of DarK Horse , and it shows Luketerrified with the looks of his father: " Slowly , hesitantly , Luke obeys...and looks down on aface which though livid with scars, has regained its humanity . Monstrous evil has faded ... but the cos is high. "

7. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Given the glimpse that we saw in ESB, I think that most of us pictured him with severe burns and scars all over his body.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    More machine than man... twisted and evil.

If any of you remember what Jason from the Friday the 13th looked like... cross him with Freddy Kruger and that is what I thought he would look like...

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Never mind. Image isn't working. :mad:

10. ctlady

ctlady Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    What surprises me is that, throughout the CT, there's no mention or wonder as to what actually happened to Vader that he has to wear a life sustaining suit.

If I were Luke, one of the first questions I'd ask Obi-Wan was 'how Vader got like that'? 'What injuries did he suffer'?

You'd think SOMEONE would be curious.

11. SithHappensIII

SithHappensIII Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Interesting, thats very true..... i guess some things are better left unsaid..... it made his character more of a mystery

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I thought he would look like that guy who climbs out of a manhole in Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

Don't ask me why
    /LM

13. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "You'd think SOMEONE would be curious."

^ Maybe in the SW universe it was more common for people to have injuries and require specialized suits or mechanics? Maybe that's why no one mentions it? Good point though.

14. DarthVader_

DarthVader_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    I thought Vader would look similar to what he did when unmasked in ROTJ with maybe a robotic eye or half his face like the endoskeleton of the Terminator, scared, burnt but slightly more robotic.

At the time I was slightly disappointed but fully appreciate it now.

15. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    In the novel Ben explains to Luke how they fought, and his father fell into a molten pit (close enough, burning on a sand bank)

I figure Lucas didnt want to follow anything concrete, so he simply didnt put it in the movie.

16. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    [face_whistling][face_laugh]

Thank you for my new signature. ;)

I kinda figured from watching the films, that Vader's 'breeding' days were done for awhile! [face_dancing]

Too funny!

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I knew before I saw it... I had seen the action figure. So I imagined him exactly how he looked. :p

18. Darth_Sadis

Darth_Sadis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    When I first saw the OT I was the tender age of roughly four. It was hard enough for me to have to look at vader without the aid of a nappy and the thought of somoething behind the mask was terrifying. Then the glimpse in ESB came and I screamed in terror. But then I saw the first Emperor, with the eyes that blink mechanically.
    Oh no, a repressed memory is resurfacing!!!
    :_| :_| :_| :_|

19. blind_composer

blind_composer Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Before seeing ROTJ, what did you think Vader looked like beneath the mask?

John Lennon.

20. Master_Jedi_Singh

Master_Jedi_Singh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Well he would of healed over time because your skin repairs. Right.........

21. FallOfKenobi

FallOfKenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    My favorite man to ever live.

22. TheDimSide

TheDimSide Jedi Master

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, from the glimpse we got in ESB, he certainly didn't seem like quite the looker :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.