main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the films

Discussion in 'Literature' started by swiftyboy2002, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swiftyboy2002

swiftyboy2002 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Hi im new to the Star Wars novels, normally i read Fantasy like George Martin and Eriksson etc. Im looking to read a few books before the films, learning about characters that i havent really encountered before in the films. I find it better that way as i dont already have a perception of the characters.

Any help where to start and what to stay clear of.

Thanks in advance.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The only novels set before the films (Cloak of Deception & Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter) feature characters from the films, though they do also feature original characters prominently as well.

There's a book coming out in October of 2006 that will be set a thousand years before the films and focus on Darth Bane, however, so you might want to keep an eye for that one.

Other than that, most books feature a mix of film characters and original characters, with probably the only ones straying most away from the main cast being the Medstar duology, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, the X-Wing series and Traitor, though you might want to look into som of the anthology novels which contain short stories on secondary, background or original characters.

3. swiftyboy2002

swiftyboy2002 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    What are Cloak of Deception & Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter like?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    COD is an action/political thriller focusing on Qui-Gon, Obi-wan, a pirate captain, Palpatine's political manipulations and Darth Sidious's early contact with the Trade Federation.

DM:SH is more of a straight-action title that amounts to an extended chase, focusing on Maul, the Neimoidians, an information broker and a Jedi padawan.

IMO, both are really good reads and make for a great lead-in to TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.