main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Before the prequels, was Kenobi mainly referred to as Ben?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ArtemusGordon, May 30, 2015.

1. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    In my fan fiction, I've explained the name "Obi-Wan" as a nickname in some alien language which was given to him during the Clone Wars for his bravery. Ben is his real name. I wish this is how the name had been explained to me because it makes more sense this way.

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I always called him Ben as a kid. I started calling him Obi-Wan regularly because of the prequels.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    not me, always known him to be Obi-Wan, even before the prequels.

spaulagain likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Saw the OT in the theaters and I've always called him Obi-Wan Kenobi.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think I've mostly gone with Obi-Wan because it sounded cooler....but like Luke I sometimes would go back and forth as a kid.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  6. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, and there is also a mesa on Tatooine going by the name of Ben which is another part of the reason

mes520 likes this.
  7. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I think in Luke's more serious moments, he's Obi-Wan and when he's the young, naive, helpless farm boy, it's "Ben".

8. spaulagain

spaulagain Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2014
    I've always referred to him as Obi-Wan. That is his true name (not just a Jedi name). And even in ANH, it was immediately clear that Ben was simply an alias, most likely to stay hidden from the Empire as he was in exile. I assume any referrence to him as Ben by Leia, or any other character in the OT was also in effort to keep his true identity secret and/or habit.

BEN: Obi-Wan Kenobi...Obi-Wan? Now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time.
    LUKE: I think my uncle knew him. He said he was dead.
    BEN: Oh, he's not dead, not...not yet.
    LUKE: You know him!
    BEN: Well of course, of course I know him. He's me! I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since oh, before you were born.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  9. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Great question!

I was born in 91. I'm pretty sure I referred to him as Obi-Wan before the PT. Ben just didn't sound Star Wars-y enough, plus most outside of Luke in the movies (Leia, Vader, Yoda, Tarkin, maybe more?) refer to him as Obi-Wan. Old Ben, sometimes, but never Ben.
    It could be because I saw RotJ first where he's referred to as Obi-Wan when he's introduced ("Obi-Wan!") and later Vader calls him Obi-Wan. ("Obi-Wan has taught you well.")

But I'm pretty sure many did refer to him as Ben Kenobi.

10. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    We always knew he was "Obi-Wan" and Ben was a pseudonym. However, as others have said, Ben was used prominently in the OT and I remember using it too as a kid.

11. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    I don't know about other fans but I always call him "Obi-Wan" and never "Ben".

12. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Before the prequels i always thought of Obi Wan as a title, with Ben being his real name.

13. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I've always referred to him as Obi-Wan, even before I saw the Prequel movies.

14. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I always called him Obi-Wan Kenobi, and that goes back to when I first saw the OT on the 1995 VHS releases, before the special edition, before the dark times.

15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I saw TPM first, he was always Obi-Wan. Figured 'Ben' was something he just called himself for fun.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Born in 1974, and I mostly referred to him as "Ben," and most of my friends did, too. But I did call him "Obi-Wan Kenobi" sometimes, too.

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

He may have picked it up on Tatooine. If you like TCW, however, he started using as an alias while he was in disguise as Rako Hardeen. I liked that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Oh? I'm way behind on TCW (I do like it, just haven't had the time to catch up since series 4, still haven't even looked at Rebels), so never saw that.

Nice to see that it's been addressed, but given the prominence and importance attached to this alias in SW/ANH (you know, the VERY FIRST STAR WARS FILM), it really should have been dealt with in AOTC or ROTS, just so dingbats like us shouldn't have to wonder and argue about it.

There was an old rumour back between AOTC and ROTS that 'Ben' was going to be the name of a clonetrooper who was a close friend of Obi-Wan Kenobi - no idea if there was any truth to the rumour. They might have ditched the obvious reference and simply renamed the clonetrooper 'Cody', who was clearly close to Obi-Wan in ROTS.
    (TBH, I'd rather have had a poignant hint at Obi-Wan's future alias than a pointless cameo from a random Wookiee called Chewbacca)

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  19. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    The release of "Clerks" was the tipping point for the changeover from "Ben" to "Obi Wan" in mass culture. A couple of years prior to that the hipster crowd, (they weren't irritating back then,) referred to him as "Obi Wan" to differentiate themselves as "Warsies" as opposed to mere "Star Wars Fans."

20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I guess.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Born in '86, first watched the movies in '94. I always called him "Obi-Wan" or "Obi-Wan Kenobi", and so did all of my friends. It's made quite clear that that's his real name the very first time we meet him in ANH, and the rest of the movies back this up, so :)

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Born in '86 and first watched the movies in '94, as well. :)

I just always called him Ben because Luke did. I got into the habit of calling him Obi-Wan because of the prequels. You guys are making me jealous. Lol.

Darth Caliban and GrimdarkRose like this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    All three OT films credit Alec Guiness with the role of "Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi".

24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Ben was his alias on Tatooine.
    His name is Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    I thought the OT made this pretty clear. I saw ANH back in 1984 when I was 6.
    My friends and I called him Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ben back in the day. Just like Luke did!
    The PT made it abundantly clear that his name is Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    I rarely use Ben anymore when referring to Obi-Wan, although I just started reading the "Kenobi" novel so maybe that will change?

25. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    In much of the media coverage and on the toys back in the day (yes I saw them in the theater when they came out lol), he was referred more as Ben Kenobi than Obi-Wan or as Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi. From as much as I can remember.