main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Beginning of the new Galactic Civil War

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mattman8907, Mar 21, 2017.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Since Rogue One basically gave us that the Battle of Scarif was the start of the Galactic Civil War, which event do you think in Episode VII was the start of this new war between the First Order and the Resistance?

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Wasn't the war between the FO and Resistance going on for awhile before TFA??

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i didn't get into this deeply enough so my response may be full of holes... but my impression was that the new republic wouldn't/wasn't taking enough action against the FO... the populists were too hesitant to take action and the centrists were leaning towards the FO (some greatly supported them, others didn't but were too weak to do anything about it). so the new republic is ineffectual. leia started the resistance *before* all of this began because she saw it coming ahead of time. the resistance will do what the new republic will not: take action by force.

the dynamic seems complex. what if there was no resistance, for instance? would the new republic actually rise to the challenge and take action? or would it be too corrupted by the centrists who are already in league with the FO, and still many of the populists will stand by and do nothing?

(these were my impressions from 'bloodline')

so iow, the single event (if there was one) that brought the resistance out so everyone knew of them... i don't know what it was... i feel like the FO took the initial actions and the resistance responded once it was clear the new republic would not. but this could have set up a dynamic in which the new republic doesn't do anything because they know the resistance will do things and they feel safer in inaction. so the resistance could have ended up as unintentional enablers.

(in all of this, i'm also taking into consideration hux's line in his great impassioned speech, that the new republic secretly supports "the loathsome resistance." by this point i think the former centrist worlds that did or soon would support the FO have joined it... so all that is left is those in the new republic that wouldn't/don't support the FO. so it is probably now more populist dominant in general.)

4. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Starkiller Base blowing up the Hosnia system, and the Resistance hitting Starkiller Base.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't but the war needs an official name and quick. The First Order-Resistance Conflict is a little clunky. :p

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The way the Hosnian System got destroyed the name "Blitzkrieg" would be more than a nomen est omen

For the start event, what about "Smile - Flashlight incoming - Incident"

7. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    How about the Clone War?

Not a war with Clones but the war itself is the clone this time?

8. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    A well written and though our post.
    However I don't think Jar Jar Abrams put that much thought or detail into it.
    Maybe The Last Jedi will flesh things out a bit more.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I could've said it better myself.

Gigoran Monk and EHT like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The FORC. Never forget.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The First Order-Resistance Conflict Extravaganza!

That gives it some flair.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely! Too bad it doesn't spell anything.

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    How much "though" did you put in your post?

14. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Quite a bit but I think the 3 sentences covered it.
    The First Order and the New Republic went unexplained .
    At the end of Return of the Jedi we see massive celebrations around the galaxy.

As for the new republic all we see it a tiny clip of people standing looking as their system is blown up.
    The Original Trilogy and the Prequels do a much better job at explaining things in the Galaxy.

In A New Hope Grand Moff Tarkin lets us know how the Empire runs things and how the last of the Republic has been swept away.
    We understand the Rebel Alliance wants to bring the Republic back.

The Prequels brings us to the very center of power in the Republic and shows us the roots of it's downfall.
    [​IMG]

The six movies flow together and seven now with excellent addition of Rogue One.
    TFA is set 30 years after we are shown the Rebels defeat the Empire.
    In the Force Awakens we have the Empire vs the Rebels again Tie Fighters vs X Wings just with a quick title change for the two.
    The Republic is destroyed in the same scene that it's introduced.
    It's clear that Disney wanted the Rebels vs the Empire again but it is very poorly explained at best.

I hope TLJ can flesh out things a bit more and let us know how things went from how they ended in ROTJ to the current situation.
    I know a couple of books were put out but this stuff needs to make sense on screen.

Don't misunderstand me I love the Rebels vs the Empire and in Rogue One in made sense given the timeline the movie was set in.

The classic trilogy was the galactic civil war and the prequel trilogy is the clone wars.
    The prequels end 18 years before A new Hope and the things have changed so much.
    TFA is 30 plus years after ROTJ and it just looks like business as usual.
    I don't know what I expected of the sequel trilogy but I assumed that Lucas has some grand vision and Disney was going to use it.
    I am not bashing the action in TFA is done really well I just hope TLJ uses more of the Lucas ideas and explains things more.