main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beginning Timeline in NJO books error.? NOT SBS ERROR

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_JEDI_OZ, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_JEDI_OZ

Dark_JEDI_OZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    I was looking at the beginning timeline of some of the books. It says that Episode 3 is to be 20 years before ANH. Now, I'm not sure how old Luke is in ANH but I'm sure he's not supposed to be 20, and isn't it reasonable to assume that by the end of EP3 Anakin has impregnated Padme? I mean, I was wondering if at the end of EP3 we see Luke and Leia being swept away hidden.

Or, is the timeline in the beginning of the books just a rough draft still with reference to the timeperiods that each thing happens, cause then I could see that maybe EP3 happens 17-15 years prior to ANH.

Anyways, I put this thread here because if I mentione it in the movies section I'd get shot down and blasted for even mentioning anything EU.

2. Thrawn_Is_God

Thrawn_Is_God Jedi Grand Master

Jan 11, 2001
    Luke is supposed to be 19 in ANH.

3. Dark_JEDI_OZ

Dark_JEDI_OZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Are you kidding me? REally? 19...man, I just watched the movie, and no way would I have expected that his age was supposed to be 19. Dang, learn something everyday I guess.

4. SSJ_Smoke

SSJ_Smoke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    Actually Luke is 18-20

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Luke is 20, Leia is 18, according the novelization of ANH :D

wk

6. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    Luke is 20 Leia is 18? Can twins be born two years apart in the Star Wars universe or did Padme just have a particularly long labour?

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    You'll find that ages and dates are dynamic in Star Wars. Luke and Leia are not the only characters who's age at a given point in time is different for different benchmarks used to determine it.

It's one of the mysteries of the Force. Don't try and analyze it deeper than that or you'll run into a bunch of things that don't follow "earth-universe laws."

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Also known as the difference between tatooine standard years, and coruscant standard years(Or "was" that alderaan standard years, ;) ).

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Exactly. :)

I think it was Tatooine. And then when you take Mara's "clone physiology" into account, you end up with her shifting ages. :D

10. JediSilverstar

JediSilverstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    The differences in their ages could be one of two things

When Lucas first devised ANH they weren't twins.

or the Lucas is infallible answer

Being described as 18 and 20 was mistake by their guardians because they were their real parents and didn't know for sure.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    But it is true every planet has varition in revolution and rotation, which allows for lenght of year or amount of days in years to be different. So ages can differ because of that reason.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hopefully, we'll find out in Episode III.

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jss...
    "When Lucas first devised ANH they weren't twins."

That's actually the real answer. The Luke/Leia connection did not come until after filming of the Luke/Vader climax was underway in ROTJ. Lucas just didn't have the right "hook" that would get Luke to act the way he acted. In his script, it was only a passage like "Luke gets mad and attacks."

However, without any reason, the scene kept falling flat. It wasn't until Lucas decided to make Leia Luke's sister that Luke had a valid reason for acting the way he did, and the climax could then work.

So, yes - Luke and Leia never were meant to be related in ANH, which is solely the reason for the age discrepency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.