main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Beginnings (L/M vignette - was it destiny?)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Yes, stupid, unoriginal title. :p Let's hope the story is better, shall we? Thanks for taking a look! :D

Title: Beginnings (if you think of something better, let me know :p )
    Summary An important moment in time.
    A/N: I promised myself to fill this story out, but I never have, so here it is anyway. :p This takes place primarily in Saga, so I added a bit at the end so it wouldn't be in Saga. :p

Though mostly empty, rarely is Tatooine silent, even in those empty reaches. Sand, thrown by the strong, arid and hot winds, would scatter across stretches of sun-bleached rock, and the combined noise of a million tiny particles built into a noise ? a noise that often sounded like nothing more than a quiet whisper, incomprehensible but never ceasing.

Biggs had often teased Luke that it was the whispers of the dead. Seven year-old Luke Skywalker, future fighter pilot and hero ? he would be, he was certain ? did not believe in such silly stories, of course. But he always shivered anyway, and hit his older friend?s arm, telling him to stop. Biggs would merely grin.

It was a quiet night ? though not silent ? that Luke woke without knowing why. Shivering in the desert air, often cold so late at night in the way of deserts, Luke pulled on his scuffed boots, found used at the market. His sandy colored nightclothes were fairly heavy, so Luke judged he wouldn?t get too cold, though his Aunt Beru would have disagreed with such an idea.

Moved by some unknown force to walk, to go somewhere, anywhere, Luke crept past Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru?s bedroom, knowing they would be angry if they found him awake and moving at this time of night, especially with such a flimsy excuse. His boots scuffled quietly against the hard floor of the kitchen, and then he was up the stairs and outside.

Outside there was little but featureless desert, though he knew there were canyons in the far distance. From time to time, a clunky looking spire would mar the horizon, one of Uncle Owen?s moisture machines.

The wind blew, and he could almost hear the soft whispers, louder this night than they had ever been.

Luke folded his arms and scrunched his face, looking down for a moment with his sandy hair falling into his eyes to keep warmer.

Metal. The sharp tang of it pierced the air strongly, while the broken cries of the little girl?s parents faded into nothing. It was night, and dark. She was never out so late. Her parents would be mad if they found her outside like this. She sniffled, frightened tears rolling down baby-soft cheeks. Tentatively, wrapping her arms around herself, she called out. ?Mommy??

Luke jerked his head back with such force his small legs couldn?t react quickly enough, and he fell on his bottom as faint, ghostly images flashed across his vision, disappearing quickly into the shades of night. The whispers were louder now, almost audible. He could almost hear them; he could almost hear the dead!

The vegetation was wet beneath the little girl?s feet. She was cold. She cried again, a little whimper, and looked up. A horrible creature was mere feet away from her. It was all shiny white, with black on the joints, and it was carrying something that looked long and heavy in its arms. And it was looking at her.

A man walked up to the little girl, nothing of compassion his eyes, just cold evaluation. ?This is the one that tested high??

?Yes, sir,? the creature said.

?Take her, then,? the man in uniform replied, turning away, his job done. The little girl began to cry again. She wanted her mommy and daddy. Her daddy could protect her from anyone, he had always promised he would.

The creature grabbed her by the waist and picked her up as she struggled in vain against the steel grip. And she cried.

Luke could hear the voices now. Little girl, they said, our little girl. He could tell they were grieved, but those were the only words that he could understand. The rest, angry and frightened, were m

2. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Wow, intense obaona. I felt like I was there, standing next to Luke watching the visions pass.

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Oooohh. *likes this vignette* This is the best version of Mara's kidnapping I've yet read, and such a neat idea to have Luke sense it like that! :D Beautifully written, and a very convincing child's POV. Lovely job, dear. And quit denigrating your titles! I happen to like them very much. *thwacks* :p

*pops out before oba can thwack back* :p

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Wonderful post, obaona! Young Luke was so sweet. I could just picture him having that vision of Mara. And of course it was their destiny to have a happy ending together.

5. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    I loved it Obaona!!

Ur title is just fine...have some self-confidence...at least u don't rip titles off of books and songs. (yeah i do that, so creative right?)

This was really good. Loved lil Luke and Mara. I felt so bad for her. It was like i was right there with her when she was being kidnapped.

?I?ve never met her before.?

*smacks Luke beside his farmboy head* yes u have u silly Jedi Master!! How could u forget? *JPJ mutters something about forgetful blonde Jedi Masters whose brains are still buried in the sand*

6. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    That was really good Oba! I never thought about Luke having visions of Mara as a kid, but it makes sense.

Luke and Mara Forever! [face_love]

7. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Wow that was an awesome viggie. it was so incredibly sad, but kinda cool that little Luke was seeing what was happening to Mara, even back then.

8. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Neat idea, Oba!

I really liked this. :)

9. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Thats an interesting take on things, Oba. Another awesome outing.

I always wondered how it was that Mara came to be in the Emperor's services, esp at such a young age. What would he want with a child? Strong in the Force though she is, it makes me think 8-}

:::giggles at Gabri:::

Always thwacking...

I loved it Oba. Tres cool :cool:

::Windstar Out::

10. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    J_M_Bulldog: [face_blush] Thanks. :) When I write a story, I always try to envision it like it's a movie, so that the readers can really visualize it while still getting the thoughts of the characters. :)

Gabri_Jade: Well, I really don't like the title! [/whining] :p I'm glad it was very child-like. I really wanted it to be, and I don't write children very often. ;)

Jedi-2B: Thanks! I also intended to sort of imply some of the reasons for Luke protecting Mara so much - caring for her even when she wanted to kill him - was not all because of just the Force, but alaso because of that past. :)

JainaPadmeJade: Thank you! [face_blush] I'm glad the Mara parts seemed so real. :D And I'm giggling at your last comment . . . silly blond. ;)

joy_noel: Thanks! It just kind of occurred to me . . . somehow . . . :p

Jaina_Solo_15: Thank you. :) But at least, we, the readers, know it all has a happy ending! ;)

Dancing_Jansons: Thank you! :D

Bri_Windstar: I always figured he found her during the Purge, and for some reason or another, decided to keep a couple kids to just to see what he could do with them. 8-} Thanks! :D

11. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    WooHoo! L/M stuff! :cool:

Awesome vignette Oba! :D

God bless!

-Malz

12. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    You go, girl!

Two thumbs up!

More sensibly, I'd like to say how much I have always admired your work and how incredibly good this one is which is scary considering the fact that I have always thought your work was incredible but I've never been so compelled to shout for sheer awe at it before.

Honestly, if I had heard this in a reading I'd be on my feet shouting and clapping.

In a nutshell :

Hats off.

13. Jeanida_Myrishi

Jeanida_Myrishi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2003
    cute and interesting :)

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Malz4JESUS: Thanks! :D

leia_naberrie: :eek: [face_blush] I don't know what to say except thank you. I'm so glad you enjoy my work that much! :D Thank you! :D *hugs* :D

Jeanida_Myrishi: Thank you. :)

Sorry for taking so long to reply, too. [face_blush] :p

15. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Took a long time to reply? You took a long enough time to tell me you had posted three little stories!

But I can't hold it against you, cos your stories are just that good! :D

16. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Up! :D

God bless!

-Malz

17. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Burkie: [face_blush] :eek: [face_love] [face_blush] :p I think that says it all. *hugs*

Malz4JESUS: Thanks for upping! :D

18. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Hehehe! I always knew there was a connection between Luke and Mara! Good job Obaona! :D

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Rivad_Bacar: A connection? Well, obviously! ;) Thank you for reading. :D

20. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Aww that was cute! Very creative 8-}

EJ

21. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    A truly beautiful fic, obaona. I loved how Luke was able to sense Mara, even way back then. Wonderful job! :D

22. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Eowyn_Jade: Thank you. I do strive for creativity. :p

LianaMara: Thank you! :D As for Luke sensing Mara even way back then, well, I thought, why not? :p Stranger things have happened. :p

23. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Wow. That was great! :D They were definitaly meant to be. [face_love]

24. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This was a great viggie, oba. :)

~~Jilly

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I can't believe I didn't see this before!

Wonderful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.