main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Begun, these clone wars have...

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Ok, that was fun!

I'm hoping that they don't pull a George and have killed her off already! I was kinda hoping to see a live action Assaj!

I loved the look on her face when she threw the column at Anakin and he turned it around on her. The shot of him entering the temple/cave and his lightsaber's reflection in the water was pretty slick.

Can't wait for these to hit DVD!

2. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    I just downloaded most of the series 2 episodes (is #20 out yet?), since we don't get it on TV over here. [face_plain]

Mmmm.....animated Padme....almost better than the real thing. [face_love]
    Is there a CW Padme figure? I want one!!

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Lot of great allusions to TESB and ROTJ in Episode 19. I was having a geekgasm just watching it.

My only prob, though, with the whole thing is the overpowerful, flying Jedi thing. I expect to find each Jedi teamed up with Bullwinkle, while a Dark-Side Boris and Natasha try to hunt them down.

4. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, it's a bit too much like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. I don't mind a good force assisted leap like Luke did in ESB, or a controlled decent/landing like Obi/Qui-Gon in PM, or Mace or Anakin in AOTC, but the flying around is just too cartoony. Levitating, maybe- but flying..?

Nope, Ben- no Padme yet. I'm hoping they will do one of those, Barriss, Luminara, Kitt, armored Obi, C3PO, R2D2, and an ARC trooper or two- I dig the guy with the two pistols.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Re: Anakin..........I see he got his shirt off. ;)

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hmmm...I had seen shots of the general with lightsabers, but thought it was fan-boy stuff. Apparently not...

I was a bit surprized that if Mace can take out as many droids as he did, and Assaj took out all those troopers, why did a half dozen jedi not hold their own with GG? Also, I only saw one or two force pushes, force throws/debris, and double teaming. If they can snag sabers off of GG, why can't they ignite any sabers still hanging on him?

Hmmm...curious this new development is...

7. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Clone Wars...

Okay, so I go meet John and my buddy Tim Berry for supper at CK's, and we rushed over to Fox 13 to watch the cartoon, and after waiting for the current toon to end the cartoon came on, and I thought it was just an advertisement until I realized "Hey, this is the cartoon!" And when they showed the preview of the next installment, which lasted every bit of a second...

Okay, this cartoon is really good, but it is DEFINITELY meant for folks like me who have a short attention span.

What was I talking about again?

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    It hasn't been so bad for me because I get to watch it the next day while I'm "on break". This last one seemed to be a bit longer than the others.

Any word as to if/when they will be released on DVD or when the next ones start up?

9. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    As said on another board, it's wildly variable with the Jedi powers. Mace and Anakin can effortlessly deal with millions of droids and fly through the trees (let's face it, that's what Anakin was doing), but then a whole group of Jedi can't deal with Grevious or avoid filling their pants.

Say what you will about Lucas, at least his Jedi are consistent. ;)

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I will have to admit I'm digging the force pushes and throws. I wish we would have seen more of that in the movies. We didn't see any in ANH, a bit in Empire, none that I remember in ROTJ, and just a bit in TPM and AOTC- more in the novelization, though. I'm hoping this next fight between Anakin and Obi is just a no-holds barred Texas tornado death match!

Leeettt'sss Get Read-y TO Rummmmmblllllllle!!!

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, we know its a big bitch slap fight!!! [face_laugh]

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK- I finally got to watch Clone Wars Part 20 a few minutes ago. I was really disappointed in the fanboys' wet dream: General Grievous. I mean, come on- Part alien, part robot, lightsaber-wielding giant... Did Georgie really just need to give the pimple-faced, dateless fanboy masses something to get excited about other than Padme with a bare stomach or tight corset? I feel like he's created another needless character device to make up for a lack of good plot (and character) depth. It's so far-fetched that it's starting to resemble Star Trek. When's Shatner going to show up to kill the alien/robot/whatever and then shag the princess?

And roll. Don't forget the rolling. The rolling helps.

Seeing this, I'm already starting to feel pangs of disappointment from Episdode III. I hope this needless POS CG character gets eighty-sixed quickly so we can have a real drama instead of endless hours filled with useless LOTR-Return-of-the-King-styled CGI battles and Matrix-style, thin-as-the-air-on-the-peak-of-Everest, flimsy plot devices.

Come on, George.... Give us a real drama!! Your fan base is now old enough to deal with something beyond Muppets and Transformers. (No offense to Muppets. Or Transformers.)

And I hope Jar-Jar takes out Grievous in some comic, bumbling, farce-of-a-scene involving a thermal detonator and Bantha poodoo.

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I agree, while I liked some of the production sketches I had seen after seeing him in action I was like, "What the..?!" He acts like a metal monkey with lightsabers! And the Jedi- c'mon, one minute Mace, Yoda or Anakin are taking out dozens of droids with the force and a single saber, Assaj picks off a squad of troopers one by one, and a half dozen jedi almost wet themselves when GG shows up..?! Man, I was willing to let a lot of the cartoony elements of the show slide because it is a cartoon, but Chapter 20 and GG was a bit much.

C'mon George, where's the magic of ANH that made me walk out of the theater going, "WOW!" Or the emotion and drama of ESB. Even ROTJ had a great fight scene at the end, the revelation that Anakin/Vader was not only Luke's father- but Leia's as well, and well, Leia in the gold bikini! (Sorry, the fan-boy in me had to say that!)

If they needed a heavy for the next one why not keep Assaj around? She was a great pawn for Dookey and Sideous. I'd much rather have the Jedi face a Sith than some unstoppable machine. I mean, Durge was bad enough- now this metal monstrosity?!

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Come on, George.... Give us a real drama!! Your fan base is now old enough to deal with something beyond Muppets and Transformers

Just remember who his real fan base is... ;) and its not us thirty-somethings.

Rhonda's editorial on SW fandom and PT vs. OT: 8-}

I like the Prequels and I don't mind a new bad guy here and there (one would have been fine). However, I didn't like Grevious, but that has nothing to do with the Prequels. It was him. I hope the movie doesn't take him in the direction the cartoon did. Uber-cyborg... ugh. I'm confident they won't, as these cartoons have been extrememly exagerated. I heard the only one Georgie had anything to do with (meaning they had to run by him first) was number 19, because of the Anakin/darkside factor. Its the best one, IMO.

I may be in the minority, but I do feel the PT's have just as much plot as the OT. Political intrigue anyone? There will be plenty of that in EpIII, just as there was in TPM and AOTC. In regards to the deeper thinking, political factor of the PT, the basher fanboys weren't happy with that either. Now - he could do better to let the actors go and not worry about doing everything so fast, and have a writer help him with his dialogue, I'll have to admit that.

I won't be disappointed in the next one because I'm going there to see one thing... [image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/009_422-018.jpg]

[face_mischief] I refuse to go into this movie with pre-concieved notions, which is why I think I like the PT where older fans don't.

I wasn't a die-hard when TPM came out. I hadn't been waiting forever with baited breath for these movies. I went into the theater going... "Cool. Another Star Wars flick on the big screen..." I didn't come out crying that Lucas raped my childhood, or God forbid, Anakin Skywalker wasn't what I thought he would be. Of course I hadn't been thinking of that for 16 years, but that's just me.

Not that anyone here does that "my childhood was raped" thing, Thank God, we are all way too centered for that, they are just movies, and life's too short to get all bitter at a man about his movies.

Call me shallow, but give me a shirtless Anakin scene and I'll be happy. [face_love]

This will be the last one. Nothing else to gripe about after next year. I hope folks realize that. Okay, they will always bitch about something, I know... Especially the critics who are mostly all fanboys by nature. Unfortunately they all don't have lives, so they have to get their geek-sneer on because they don't feel Star Wars is their Star Wars anymore... Well...it's not. It's their kids' (those who are lucky enough to have...how shall I say this...been in a position to have gotten kids....), which brings me back to my original point. 8-} My perception, and I could certainly be wrong, is he makes these movies for children, which is why there are all of the toys, comics...oh,wait.

[face_laugh]

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I agree, and I don't feel my childhood was raped- I just feel there's better in him(GL), even if it means bringing in someone else to help out. George has always surrounded himself with the best in the business, from actors to fx people and everyone inbetween. I just felt the movies had gotten a bit formulaic(sp?), especially TPM- let's have a gound batle, dog fight in space, and blow something big up in the third act. Oh, and don't forget a light saber duel, too.

I did go back and watch ANH last night. Even though ESB is my favorite of all of the movies (so far...), the first I think is still the most fun- despite Lucas felling that he had abandoned it.

As far as political intrigue, I'll take 'No Way Out' or similar flicks over TPM anyday. (Anybody see the 'Cosmic Wars' Simpsons episode..?) I don't mind GL making movies for kids, but I wish he wouldn't write them for kids. Kids love the Muppets, but they were written for adults. When he wrote 'Star Wars'(ANH) I doubt GL thought about writing it for kids. That didn't happen until he had kids of his own and brought ewoks into the picture...

I doubt that the next movie will have much at all to do with these cartoons, so I'm not too worried. I will warn you that you may here a loud groan fropm me if GG starts doing monkey flips and/or Karate Kid poses while fighting jedi!

The great thing about SW is that no matter what movie, media, etc.- there's something for just about anyone, and we've all got at least one favorite character we can enjoy!

16. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Dork-Vader said:" It hasn't been so bad for me because I get to watch it the next day while I'm "on break". This last one seemed to be a bit longer than the others."

This one lasted 4 seconds instead of the usual 3?

Actually, I had a dream about these cartoons--even though I have no idea about them--but I was watching it at the movie theater. I paid $8.00 to see 3 minutes worth of animation, but I loved it.

So, I suppose what I was telling myself is that I really do love what little bit (literally) I saw of it with John at Fox13.

Qui-Gon Tim sez, "Give us a real drama!! Your fan base is now old enough to deal with something beyond Muppets and Transformers."

*Using best Piggy impersonation* WATCH IT!!

17. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Yes, what is so wrong with Transformers?

:waves fist:

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey! I said no offense to either. I love the Muppets. Always have, always will. And I watched several seasons of Transformers cartoons (up until the movie where they killed Optimus and made Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime. Then it was just all f-ed up.)

19. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Optimus Primw will always be "THE ONE" in the transformers universe. I only wish Lucas could get someone's voice to be like Soundwave's in Ep. 3 that would totally be cool!!!! Let it be some lowly senator for all I care...he had such the coolest voice ;)

John

P.S. We'll always love you Optimus **sniff sniff**

20. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    What's wrong, John? Is Optimus dead now or something? BTW--when you gonna call me back over to the station for another visit? That were fun!

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    waiting for Rhonda to change the picture under "I'm going there to see one thing... " Hyperspace is a good thing. ;)

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Rhonda: Here's your towel.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Forget cloning the emperor...we need to clone Hayden.

I'd be the first in line.

Oh, the things I could teach him.... [face_mischief]

[face_laugh]

Why, God, Why can't all men look this good? How come its always Ned, the sacker at Kroger or Bob, the car salesman (or God forbid, Billy the race car driver)...? That's it...I just need to learn voodoo. :mad:

EDITS: Darn Mark ups! :mad:

24. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Did I ever mention that I saw Hayden Christiansen when I sneaked into Ealing Studios....? [face_devil]

No Natalie though.... :_|

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Man, I wouldn't mind all women looking like my waitress last night! I highly reccomend the Huey's at Winchester and Hack's Crossing...try the patio!

Oh, wait- some women would have to look like naughty nurses, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.