main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Behavioural paradox

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Lord_BlackAdder, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_BlackAdder

Lord_BlackAdder Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 14, 2003
    To start off, I do not intend this thread to point out any specific religious or cultural groups; I simply wish for your opinions on the general aspects surrounding this question:

Why do certain groups react violently when accused of being violent...and can a civilized, free society prevent itself from being undermined by such influences ?

To typify the scenario:

-"You Jedi hold certain ideals which are inherently intolerant of views different from your own, and from whatever source you hold those ideals-scripture or media influence-you defend them violently against anyone who points out the flaws in your reasoning"

-"You're calling me intolerant and violent ? Take that back or I'll kick your butt!"
    *Enqueue violent protests, book burning, and attacks on the accuser*

This will sound familiar, and is currently one of the primary causes of discord in the world, from religious wars to racism and political difference.

If rational discourse does not help, how else can any form of "compromise" be achieved ? Or can it be achieved at all?

And how can, or should, some scripture based or media influenced (a la gansta rap video)destructive ideas be incorporated into society to allow for both free speech and peaceful co-existence?

And to re-iterate the main question: is this even possible while the delusions still exist?

2. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    It is because people do not care about making sense, they only care about their own agenda and about being right.

You can see it here all the time. I bet that the majority of people here even will make up their mind and justify it later instead of the other waIt is because people do not care about making sense, they only care about their own agenda and about being right.

You can see it here all the time. I bet that the majority of people here even will make up their mind and justify it later instead of the other way around. That some bit of logic or evidence or whatever is worth more to them then all of the knowledge, information, logic, and reason of the universe.

People are too dumb to realize this either. They want what they want and don't care if it's right or not. They believe it is right, but too few will ever think otherwise. People will look into how they are right, not if they are right.

Also people seem too blind to realize that maybe neither side is right. There is a huge difference between proving that you are right and that someone else is wrong. Person A can give clear evidence why their view is (in part) correct and person B can give clear completely separate evidence why their different view is (in part) correct. If they are going to get anywhere they must say why the other is wrong (there is a huge difference between saying that someone is right or wrong and actually explaining it, which is a major problem of so many loud people IMHO) as opposed to why they are right. People just don?t know or care about when they should prove they are right and when they should prove their opponent (for lack of a better word) is wrong, and because of that, people get confused, angry, etc.

People just don?t seem to think and I feel rather depressed right now.

/rant

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't highlight everything when I copied the final draft into the window.

3. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Why do certain groups react violently when accused of being violent...and can a civilized, free society prevent itself from being undermined by such influences ?

Short answer...no. I don't believe any amount of "enlightenment" will bring peace.

Take this example...I am pro-life. Pretty hardcore about it too. But when I see an abortion doctor get killed by a "fellow" pro-lifer, I gotta scratch my head...

How in the living Hell can you kill in the name of pro-life?!?!

But let's look at it on a grander scale...

The Soviets could not exist in the same world as freedom and capitalism. In the end, one has to win. The two cannot co-exist reguardless of the amount of diplomacy and civility.

Let's look at terrorism...

It also can't exist in a world that also contains freedom and capitalism. People say we are after their oil, and that's cool. But I believe if it weren't for their oil, we'd have finished that problem a long time ago. The Isreali/Mid-East feud would be settled.

The problem is, the world was not meant to be as small as it is. With just a few keystrokes we can find a problem somewhere that we just can't live with. And we have the ability to project our power to the region.

Good, bad or indifferent: Two very strong, opposing points of view cannot exist.

One view must win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.