main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Behind the Conference Room Door -- Jaina/Jag Index v2.0 -- Winter 2010 Updates!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaina_Jag_Index, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    In that case, it's fine to just PM one of te reviewers and ask :)

2. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Looking for requests for author interviews.

Anyone?

3. Jaina_Jag_Index

Jaina_Jag_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Welcome to the November Jaina/Jag Index update :)

New Stories

Title: Fear and Love
    Author: Earthknight
    Time Period: Post NJO, AU
    Characters: Jacen, Jag, Ben, Tahiri, Jaina, Tenel Ka
    Pairings: J/TK, J/J, B/T
    Genre: Romance, humor
    Summary: Jacen, Jag, and Ben have a dilemma. All three men have something important that they want to tell the women that they love. But they are too afraid to. One night, the three men discuss their dilemmas in the city of Theed. But can Ben, Jacen, and Jag get the courage to tell the women what they want to tell them?
    [ b]Author Notes:[/b] The story completely ignores the events of The Dark Nest and the Legacy series. I like to read the TDN and the Legacy series, but I just hate writing about those time periods( I'm a pro light side Jacen fan).

Author: Flowerlady
    Title: The Proposal
    Timeframe: Legacy Era
    Characters: Jag and Jaina
    Genre: Romance
    Summary: The galaxy is ripped apart and Jaina finds herself alone as her friend has been killed by the new Sith Lord. However, there is hope in the form of the most unusual person. He may hold the key to peace and she may hold the key to its preservation.
    Notes: Complete, Vignette, Legacy speculation

Author: Flowerlady
    Title: The Chosen Trilogy: Book Two: The Forging of an Empress
    Timeframe: Legacy Era
    Characters: Jag/Jaina, Kyp, Zekk, Kyle Katarn, Jacen
    Genre: Romance, Drama, Angst
    Summary: Upon the birth of her son and Imperial Heir, Empress Jaina Fel remembers the events that forged the Sword of the Jedi into the Empress of the Galactic Empire and co-founder of the Imperial Knights.
    Notes: ***Warning: Contains Spoilers***
    This is written with the events and time line that I set out for Book One: What Counts in the End as the basis. I strongly recommend that you read that first, because not everything is re-explained in this piece. Book One was centered on Ben and the Jedi and told of the events between Bloodlines and the first hints of what occurred in the first Legacy comic book. Book Two is the story of Jaina, her romance with Jag, the Empire and her founding of the first Imperial Knights. Book Three will be about Jacen and the Sith and the events that made him Darth Krayt
    This is a Short Story and part two of a three part series of short stories that uses canon, spoilers and speculation to link the LotF Series with that of the Legacy comics.

Author: JainaJag14
    Title: Just Enough
    Timeframe: Post-Swarm War, pre-Legacy, AU
    Characters: Jaina, Jag, Zekk, Fel Family
    Genre: Romance
    Keywords: Jaina, Jag, Csilla
    Summary: After Jaina rescues Jag from Tenupe, they head to Csilla and meet the family.
    Notes: This is Book Two of a Trilogy, and takes place immediately after Book One, How Many Times. I suggest you read that first, but it is not necessary.

Author: jaynasolofel
    Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic

4. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    I'll be posting our next interview this weekend. I'm looking for the next victim, er interviewee so send me any and all suggestions.

For all those talented artists, I wanted to remind you that we still need buttons for authors to use in their threads. What those buttons entail is J/J artwork that has text noting the Jaina and Jag Index. The indexed authors can put them in their opening posts to advertise the index for new J/J readers.

Here are examples of Lurker Week buttons to use for size and style.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/obibutton.jpg]

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/Maralurkerbutton.bmp]

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/Vaderbutton.gif]

5. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    Welcome to the December Update of the J/J Index, or as we like to call it, the ROTJ edition: Return of the Jag!

"Many Bothans died to bring us this Jag."

STORIES

Author: oldjedinurse
    Title: A Winter?s Night
    Timeframe: LOTF AU
    Genre: Angst?and whatever else you want to see?
    Characters: H/L, L/M, J/J relationships
    Summary: Loss and love.

Title: One Morning
    Timeframe: Post-LOTF AU
    Characters: Jaina Solo and ?
    Summary: Interpretation is paramount.

Author: Reading_Wraith
    Title: Love Song to a Stranger
    Timeframe: Legacy Era- but no spoilers
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: What happens when old lovers are reduced to strangers?
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, and lyrics belong to Joan Baez and are used without permission.

"Hurry. The Jag should be assembled by now."

REVIEWS

We?re looking for reviewers! If you?re interested, please PM NYCitygurl for more information.

We will have more reviews up next month. If you are interested in having your story reviewed, please PM one of the reviewers.

"Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the *power* of the Jag, I *must* obey my master."

CHALLENGE INFO

Congratulations to our winners!

First Place: Corellia Surprise by Darth_Lex
    Second Place: Resolutions by BigFatty
    Third Place: Quietly Irresistable by Mira_Jade

Thank you very much to everyone who participated, and special thanks to our judges, Oldjedinurse, FelsGoddess DarthIshtar and Lola64 [:D]

"Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this Jag are clear, Lord Vader. "

BUTTONS AND ART

We still need buttons for authors to use in their threads. What those buttons entail is J/J artwork that has text noting the Jaina and Jag Index. The indexed authors can put them in their opening posts to advertise the index for new J/J readers.

Buttons and all other art entries should be submitted to BigFatty

As for art, enjoy these pieces by Your_Worshipfulness!

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Your_Worshipfulness/JainaSolo-bw2.jpg] [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Your_Worshipfulness/JainaSolo-cl2.jpg]

"It's an older Jag, sir, but it checks out. I was about to clear them."

AUTHOR INTERVIEWS

If you have a J/J author you?d like to see interviewed, please PM TKeira_Lea with suggestions. And Keep your eyes open for an upcoming interview with Darth_Lex.

"General Solo, is your Jag team assembled?"

LOOSE ENDS

-Even though it's obviously exciting to celebrate the recent return of one of our favorite characters, please remember to use spoiler tags whe

6. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Helpful hint to those of you wanting to help out in the button department:

When inserting images to a post here on TF.N, the preview of the image appears in a format of 120 pixels tall and 160 pixels wide. So when making buttons, please keep this 3:4 ratio in mind if you don't want your image to look distorted in a post. Examples of buttons are shown a couple of posts above this one.

7. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Amazing! :eek: Those are so beautiful, Your_Worshipfulness :D You are very talented. Wonderful picture =D=

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with Yk; those are abolutely lovely!!

9. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    Time for an interview!

For some reason I feel ashamed. There's a pal of mine who has racked up a catalogue of successful and award winning J/J stories right under my nose, and I never thought to interview him, until now. Here comes our newest J/J Index interview with Darth_Lex!

[b]Want to give us some basics? General or not so generally.[/b]
    Hmm, let?s see. I?m 32 and live in Florida. I grew up in Minnesota and went to college and law school on the East Coast. I worked at a law firm in Washington, DC, for a few years before taking my current job in academics four years ago. I have a two year old son. He?s adorable. :x Everyone says he looks like me. ;;)

[b]So we all love Star Wars. That's a given. But you're considered more of a Saga writer. What keeps bringing you back to the Dark Side of Beyond?[/b]
    Am I really considered a Saga writer any more? :p No, true enough, I did get my start over in Saga. My first couple of fics were various AU ideas based on AOTC. My claim to fame over there, though, is my Skywalker Prophecy trilogy, which ran from January 2003 until November 2004. I did write a fourth book of that series, an ROTS AU, in 2005, but really I?ve written mostly in Beyond the last two years ? and most of that has been J/J.

So I guess you could say it?s J/J that keeps bringing me back. In a way that makes sense, though. The core of my Saga writing is A/P, either in the PT era or the Skywalker Prophecy OT era AU. Everything else falls into place around that. In the same way, my Beyond writing revolves around J/J in one form or another. Which isn?t to say that I don?t like other aspects of the NR-NJO era, but none of the other characters or stories has captured by interest quite like Jaina, Jag, and Jaina/Jag have.

[b]Specifically, what tickles your fancy when it comes to Jaina and Jag?[/b]
    The character concepts for the two of them, independently, are just fantastic. Han and Leia are two of the great characters in all of Star Wars, of course, and Jaina is a combination of them. She?s a pilot and a smarth-mouth like her dad; a leader and a Jedi like her mother; and yet a powerful independent character in her own right. It?s incredible fun to throw her into situations and watch when her ?Han side? or ?Leia side? really comes out, and when she just totally does her own thing. (Which she has an annoying tendency to do, much to the chagrin of her Jedi or military superiors at times. :p )

Jag is a great character for the NJO era in his own right, too. He?s one of the ?good guys? yet he?s an Imperial where everyone else is a former Rebel. He?s not a Jedi where most of the other big time heroes are. And he?s got no shortage of self-confidence, which makes him a great foil to all the other strong-willed personalities in the Solo-Skywalker circle. Adding him into the mix was the perfect way to get them all squirming. :D

When you throw them together, this gives Jaina and Jag all the ingredients for a really fun (and sometimes volatile) romance. In many ways they?re a next generation Han and Leia, except this time the girl?s the trouble-making scoundrel and the guy?s the uptight royal. At least at first? Star Wars has a great tradition of ?opposites attract? romances (H/L, L/M, A/P, Corran/Mirax), and Jaina and Jag fit that pattern to a tee.

[b]Why do you think it is then that some Star Wars fans don't show Jaina the love given to her parents?[/b]
    Well, for some people it?s easy enough to explain: they just disparage the EU generally, or at least the NJO part of it. The more interesting question is why some fans of the YJK-NJO era characters and stories become so negative about Jaina when they don?t react that way to, say, Jacen or Anakin Solo, Tenel Ka or Zekk. In my view, sometimes it?s that people have a difficult time relating to a strong, talented, self-confident young woman. For example, people who don?t like Mara tend not to like Jaina either; fans of one tend to like the other too. Other people, I believe, dislike Jaina because of a kind of deep-seated envy direc

10. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    =D= Nice interview.

I for one, am glad J/J keeps bringing you back to the Beyond forum, Lex.

I forgot Chandrila Surprise was your first J/J... what a way to jump into the genre.

11. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Great interview, Lex!

I wasn't aware of how recent your J/J fanship is, and it's very interesting to understand what brought you to the Beyond and particularly Jaina and Jag. Your analysis of their characters is yet another example of the thoughtful insights that are evident in your writing.

Thanks for the interview! [:D]

oldj

12. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    That was a good interview, Lex.

13. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    New Stories

Author: Mira_Jade
    Title: Broken
    Genre: Drama, Romance
    Rating: G
    Characters: Jaina, Jag
    Time frame: Unifying Force AU
    Summary: Apart they are broken, yet together they fit just right. Just a One Shot.

Author: Mira_Jade
    Title: Kicks and Kisses
    Timeframe: pre YKJ
    Characters: Young Jaina/Jag, Zekk
    Genre: humor
    Summary: On a dare from Zekk at Wedge's and Iella's aniversary party young Jaina Solo makes a lasting impression on Jag Fel.

New Review

Title: Fear and Love
    Author: Earthknight
    Timeframe: post-NJO AU
    Summary Jacen, Jag, and Ben have a dilemma. All three men have something important that they want to tell the women that they love. But they are too afraid to. One night, the three men discuss their dilemmas in the city of Theed. But can Ben, Jacen, and Jag get the courage to tell the women what they want to tell them?
    Review: This was a very cute piece about Jacen and Jag trying to find the courage to propose to Tenel Ka and Jaina, while Ben was nervous about confessing his love to Tahiri. There was a lot of sweet mush and cute scenes with the couples. A very fun, happy read.
    Reviewer: NYCitygurl

Index News and Reminders

• If you would like your story reviewed, please PM one of the reviewers listed in the first post of the Index. The story must either be completed or close to completed.

• If you are interested in becoming a reviewer, contact NYCitygurl for more information.

• If you would like to submit art, PM BigFatty.

• Have a J/J author you want to see interviewed? PM TKeira_Lea.

• For all those talented artists, we wanted to remind you that we still need buttons for authors to use in their threads. What those buttons entail is J/J artwork that has text noting the Jaina and Jag Index. The indexed authors can put them in their opening posts to advertise the index for new J/J readers.

Here are examples of Lurker Week buttons to use for size and style.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/obibutton.jpg]

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/Maralurkerbutton.bmp]

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/beechgq/Vaderbutton.gif]

• When inserting images to a post here on TF.N, the preview of the image appears in a format of 120 pixels tall and 160 pixels wide. So when making buttons, please keep this 3:4 ratio in mind if you don't want your image to look distorted in a post.

14. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    Just a couple of artsy things to get your creativity juices flowing...

A Tempest illustration of Jag by BigFatty:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/jag.png]

And our Index's first button, with much thanks to oldjedinurse:

[image=http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20oldjedinurse/th_JJDestinyButton.jpg]

15. jaynasolofel

jaynasolofel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2003
    Awesome artwork, interviews, reviews and new stories everyone.

I hope Exile inspires many J/J stories here at TFN!!!!

jaYna

16. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    Look another button! Thanks so much to BigFatty for working this one up [:D]

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/jji.gif]

If you're story is indexed please use these buttons on the first post to advertise the J/J Index.

The update is in the works, folks, and we've got a great interview with Padawanlost being formatted.

17. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    More Buttons!

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/jji3.gif] [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/jji2.gif]
    ~courtesy of BigFatty

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Mira_Jade/button.jpg]
    ~courtesy of MiraJade

And for those who do J/J Fan Art some buttons...

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/fanart2.gif] [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/fanart1.gif]
    ~courtesy of BigFatty

18. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    FEB 2007 UPDATE!!!

STORIES

Author: The_Burberry_Ewok
    Title: Foreign Shores
    Timeframe: Legacy Era (WARNING- spoilers for Tempest and Legacy comics)
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo, Han and Leia Solo, Admiral Pelleaon, Wedge Antilles, Jacen Solo, etc.
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance
    Summary: It was a time of flexible loyalties. Governments rose, governments fell. Friendships were made, and betrayed. It is the story of how a pilot became an Emperor, a Jedi became a Sith, and how a love was born from the ashes.

Author: The_Burberry_Ewok
    Title: As Time Goes By
    Timeframe Legacy Era (WARNING- spoilers for Legacy of the Force)
    Characters Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo, Zekk, Jacen Solo, etc.
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance, Crossover?
    Summary: A date with destiny reunites two star-crossed lovers in the no-man?s land of the Corellian Crisis. Will history repeat itself? What will win- duty or love? A classic story told in the galaxy far, far away

Author: aurrasingrules101
    Title: Lies About Love
    Genre: Romance/drama
    Summary: Jaina and Jag battle their inconsistent marriage, while raising Hanna caring for Chak, and facing debilitating military charges...
    Notes: sequel to Dubious Engagement.

Title: Heritage
    Characters: Padme, Han, Leia, Luke, Mara, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Jag Fel, and others.
    Summary: What did Ep3 fail to show us? What is the true story about what happened in that delivery room, and what repercussions came from it? Luke and Leia have lived virtually their whole lives with minimal knowledge of their heritage, but a new threat to the galaxy that could shatter Luke's most ingrained beliefs in the Force could also flesh out an even deeper secret about their past.
    Genre: Action, drama, romance

Title: Thanks For the Memories
    Characters: Jaina/Jag, OC
    Timeframe: 30-some years post-DN
    Summary: Jaina and Jag meet decades after TSW.
    Genre: angst, some romance

ART

By Chilla:

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Chilla/theswordofthejedicopy1tb.jpg]
    [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Chilla/jainaundjagud0.jpg]
    [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20Chilla/jainachibichibi5ka.jpg]

By Madame_Solo:

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20madame_solo/Sword_of_the_Jedi_by_Madame_Solo.jpg]

By lexu:

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20lexu/JaggedFel2copy.jpg]
    [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20lexu/JaggedFelcopy.jpg]

At this time, we would like to offer an apology. The three pieces of art you see above were sitting in the Index's gmail account for an embarrassingly long time. We are very sorry to the artists for taking so

19. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Love the colors, Chilla! :D

Man my padawan is so talented! I haven't an artistic bone in my body so I'm your apprentice in the matter of art :notworthy:

Great pics of Jag =D= Are you inspired by Wentworth?

Looking forward to clicking on all the new stories out there. I'll be posting that interview later this week too.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Absolutely terrific art!!!

21. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Nice update everybody=D=

22. Jaina_Jag_Index

Nov 9, 2003
    Okay folks!

Here it is! Our interview with padawanlost [face_dancing] She?s been part of the boards for less than a year now, but made quite an impact in the realm of J/J. I had several people tell me she?d be a perfect person to interview. I would have to agree. It was a joy to meet and get to know this great author, who takes great care in presenting her works for all to share. If you haven?t checked out her stuff, you should.

Without further ado, I give you padawanlost -

1) Tell us a bit about yourself.

My real name is Alexandra, though no one except my father has ever called me anything but Alex, and the 11th of this month will be my 28th birthday. For the last ten years I've been in and out of college and debt, with a string of boring service industry jobs to pay my way. Currently I'm working in a national park lodge, saving money for a new computer and writing a lot.

I'm a fan of modern art, foreign movies and alternative music; some of my favorite bands being Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, Suede, Sleater-Kinney, and Manic Street Preachers. As for movies I love Dig! Amelie, Spirited Away, and anything by Stanley Kubrick.

Books I cannot live without include Sylvia Plath's Collected Poems, Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle.

2) Tell us how those movies and books have influenced your writing?

I think that I return to these works because they are never short on both new ideas and inspiration. I love Stanley Kubrick's sense of sarcasm, and his camerawork was amazing. Amelie has one of the most subtly developed ensemble casts ever, and I think Chihiro (from Spirited Away) is probably the most sympathetic child ever portrayed in a movie. I'm a sucker for great character development, and in these films I marvel at the complexity of each character; I can watch them over and over and never fail to learn something new about them. I admire that, and it?s something I hope that I can work myself up to.

As for my actual writing process, I owe a great deal of my tenacity, and resiliant rewriting process to a study I did of Sylvia Plath's rough drafts in the Lilly Library at IU. Even being an aspiring poet at the time (I don't write too much poetry any more), and considering myself to be a decent editor, in hindsight I realize that I was just playing around. To read through the actual drafts of some of my favorite poems, and watch the process in which one stanza, or even line, was taken from five drafts, only to set the poem in a totally new direction, and then see her abandon the line two more drafts later. It was a reality check, and without it I might never have gotten past my juvenile urge to keep revision to a minimum. I probably draft everything I post here at least three times before I send it to by lovely beta, NYCitygurl, who saves me from my embarrassing spelling snafus.

Something else I borrow from film is the use of storyboards. I make extensive outlines in prewriting, and revise them as the story takes off. I also draw out my fight scenes, so I keep myself facing the right direction. Luckily all of this helped out while I was in film school (and that made me an even more fastidious editor.)

3) How did you first become a Star Wars fan?

I've been a Star Wars fan since I can remember. As I put in my bio, A New Hope was the first movie I ever saw, when it was rereleased in 1979. My mom thought I'd like the ships flying across the screen. I did, and I should have reminded her of her logic when she flipped out that I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was 9.

My father liked to buy me Star Wars toys, because he liked them too, and I can remember having Han and Leia living in my dollhouse long before the EU had the sense to get them married.

When the books started to come out in droves, it was like a renaissance for me. And it just keeps going.

4) What are your favorite Star Wars books and why?

I have to give credit to Timothy Zahn, for the Thrawn Trilogy, and

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so glad to see this up!!! Alex is an amazing author and everyone should read her stories :) [:D]

24. padawanlost

padawanlost Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2006
    Thanks to everyone here at the index for all your hard work and dedication, and for putting up with my crazy schedule while doing this interview.

Thank you Nat![:D] You've been so wonderful and helpful to me, and I wouldn't still be here without all the help you've given me.

Much [face_love] to you all, alex

25. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    What an excellent interview. Great author, great index=wonderful interview and discussion with one of the rising stars on the boards.

I agree that people should check her fics out. Some of the most gripping moments I've read in SW fanfiction are in her stories. I love how she layers so much into the stories too, we see a few major points on the surface and so much happening underneath if we want to dig a little bit and see it.

Hopefully your crazy schedule will improve someday padawanlost. [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.