main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Behind the Gun [What does the executioner think, hmm?]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Smuggler_Shidakis, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Title: Behind the Gun
    Author: Smuggler_Shidakis
    Timeframe: After the Jedi Academy trilogy
    Characters: Original Character, Kyp Durron
    Genre: AU, angst
    Keywords: Execution, blaster, death, Kyp
    Summary: The thoughts of a member of the firing squad during the execution of Kyp Durron.
    Notes: I just can't seem to leave this little AU of mine alone.

~Behind the Gun~

I stood in the center of the room, shoulder-to-shoulder with four men. They were friends of mine, good men and good soldiers all. We were there that day to do a gruesome job. We were there that day to kill a man in cold blood. Granted, he was a mass-murderer, condemned to death by the New Republic. But that didn't change the fact that we, my four buddies and I, were going to shoot down a defenseless man.

His name was Kyp Durron, and he was sentenced to death for the murder of a planet.

Gripping my blaster rifle, I stood at attention, stock-still, while they marched him into the room. As the condemned was presented to the Council, I didn't move, didn't turn my head, just kept my eyes focused on the wall. Soon, that wall would be stained with a man's blood, blood shed by myself. Not minutes from then, the man that stood behind me, calmly exchanging words with Han and Leia Organa Solo, would be crumpled, dead, at the base of that wall.

My palms were slick with sweat. I rationalized what I was about to do with a list of his crimes- attack on a Jedi Master. Stealing a superweapon. Destroying stars. Killing a planet. Hells, he deserved death. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth- he was a murderer, a danger to the people. He deserved death. So said the law. So said the Council. So said nearly everyone on Coruscant. So said every sensible part of my mind.

Another part of me screamed that murdering him was no more right than what he had done. Was taking the life of a criminal less wrong than taking the lives of innocents? Wouldn't I, too, be a murderer? I'd killed before, in battle. When my life was on the line, when my friends were in danger, I'd killed. But never in cold blood. Never a defenseless man.

"Tell them I went home." Durron said behind me. His last words. I went home.

He stepped before us, meeting our eyes, waiting calmly for us to take his life. My gut twisted. He was only a kid, no more than seventeen. I had a son his age. I stared at him, a thin, black-haired kid with old eyes. I've seen death, they seemed to say. I've seen death and caused it, and I'm not afraid of dying. Never before had I seen a man so at peace; there was acceptance and regret in his face, acceptance of his fate and sorrow for his crimes. He was prepared to pay the price for the lives he'd stolen.

I had a son his age.

Beside me, my buddies raised their blasters. With shaking hands, so did I. He's a murderer, I reminded myself, but the sick feeling in my stomach didn't go away. The others aimed and I could feel them tightening their fingers on the triggers. Time went by in slow motion as they fired, the unmistakable sound of blaster bolts echoing about the room.

Kyp Durron fell to the floor, four scorched holes in his chest.

Behind me, there was a sharp intake of breath, not quite a gasp. A woman whimpered softly.

Without having fired a single shot, I lowered my rifle and walked from the room.

2. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    First. :eek:

Wow. [face_worried]

Without having fired a single shot, I lowered my rifle and walked from the room.

THAT WAS BLOODY AWESOME! :eek: (No pun intended, I mean.. [face_worried] )

You never cease to amaze me with this wonderful universe you've created for yourself. :p

*adds to others in Word* O:) [face_love]

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    That was really good :eek: I feel like posting a link in the lit forum for all the people there who think Kyp should have been killed after JA :p I liked the way you explored the turmoil of one member of the firing squad and I'm glad you brought up Kyp's real age, as a lot of people tend to forget that. Anyway, nice work :)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Another masterpiece! Seriously, this was amazing! =D= A superb piece of writing.

5. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Gloria: First. shock Wow. worried
    THAT WAS BLOODY AWESOME! shock (No pun intended, I mean.. worried )

Lol...

You never cease to amaze me with this wonderful universe you've created for yourself. tongue

*adds to others in Word* angel love

[face_blush] Thanks!

YodaKenobi: That was really good shock
    Thanks!

I feel like posting a link in the lit forum for all the people there who think Kyp should have been killed after JA tongue
    Lol, maybe you should. :p

I liked the way you explored the turmoil of one member of the firing squad and I'm glad you brought up Kyp's real age, as a lot of people tend to forget that. I know! He was only a kid, really. Lots of people do extremely stupid things when they're that age. Granted, not many of them steal superweapons and commit genocide. :p

I actually got the idea for this- something from the executioner's POV- from this book I read on capital punishment for a research paper. It talked a lot about guilty feelings on the part of the judges, jurors, executioners, witnesses, etc.

Anyway, nice work happy
    Thanks again!

VaderLVR64: Another masterpiece! Seriously, this was amazing! applause A superb piece of writing. Thank you! [face_blush]

Again, thank you to everyone who reads and reviews! Your responses never fail to make my day better.

As always, you rock.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Quite chilling, Shidakis.

I will admit, Kyp did deserve death after the Carida Massacre (IMHO), but to be the one to kill him...

7. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Thanks, RK_Striker_JK_5. *Beams*

I have to say, I don't think he should have been executed (though my little world is so much fun to play in). There's about a billion reasons why, not least that I don't believe in the death penalty. I won't go into it all, though.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was beautiful!!! And very sad :( I liked an nsight into the executioner's emotions

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Quite stirring. A very solemn piece as seen through the eyes of an executioner. His observations of Kyp's face, his eyes, most wonderful and I can understand his not being able to assist in the young man's death.

10. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    That's not fair Gina! I thought I was all done having to see you kill poor Sithie off. But NO!!! You gotta kill him AGAIN! :_|

You did it right well though. I've often thought that people on death dealer duty would have qualms about having to kill people and you captured that quite well. I must admit that is scares me that you write stuff this powerfully and you are so very young. Makes me think that there's a bit of profic lurking in your future!

Ro

11. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I had a son his age.

That got to me the first time, then he repeated it and, yeah. Such a real thought..

Ahhhh, wonderful and sad. <3

12. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Nat: That was beautiful!!! And very sad sad I liked an insight into the executioner's emotions
    Thanks! The thought "What about the executioner?" bit me in the bum and I had to write it.

Healer_Leona: Quite stirring. A very solemn piece as seen through the eyes of an executioner. His observations of Kyp's face, his eyes, most wonderful and I can understand his not being able to assist in the young man's death.
    :) Thank you. I don't know how executioners are able to do it.

Ro: That's not fair Gina! I thought I was all done having to see you kill poor Sithie off. But NO!!! You gotta kill him AGAIN! cry
    *mutters about evil pilot writers killing Wes over and over again*

You did it right well though. I've often thought that people on death dealer duty would have qualms about having to kill people and you captured that quite well.
    I think that being the one that actually performs the execution would be really traumatizing. I'm glad you liked the way I wrote it.

I must admit that is scares me that you write stuff this powerfully and you are so very young. Makes me think that there's a bit of profic lurking in your future!
    [face_blush] Thanks, Ro. I read your reviews whenever I need a serious ego-boost. They always make my day.

Djcati: That got to me the first time, then he repeated it and, yeah. Such a real thought..
    I think that was personally my favorite line.

Ahhhh, wonderful and sad. <3
    Thanks!

[:D] You rock, lovely reviewers.

13. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Very nice. Gutwrenching, too; I've read over this two or three times, and it still makes me want to cry.

He stepped before us, meeting our eyes, waiting calmly for us to take his life. My gut twisted. He was only a kid, no more than seventeen. I had a son his age. I stared at him, a thin, black-haired kid with old eyes. I've seen death, they seemed to say. I've seen death and caused it, and I'm not afraid of dying. Never before had I seen a man so at peace; there was acceptance and regret in his face, acceptance of his fate and sorrow for his crimes. He was prepared to pay the price for the lives he'd stolen.

I had a son his age.

Wow. The way you describe Kyp is very poignant, very true to his character. The "I had a son his age" line drove the whole thing home for me.

Wonderful job! :)

14. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

You've got me crying for Kyp all over again! I thought A Week From Tomorrow was sad... this is just as powerful and sad. I happen to share your view on the death penalty. After all isn't the executioner just a government paid assasin? Anyway, enough of my babble... Great work Shidakis!!! :)

~Goddess Jaina~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.