main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Being a more powerful jedi - what does it REALLY mean?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth DoJ, May 3, 2016.

1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    We don't really see an example of what it means to be a more or less powerful Jedi - they all seem to have the same abilities; lifting heavy objects, jumping around, controlling minds etc, and while we hear that Anakin is an especially powerful Jedi we don't really see him do anything spectacular... Okay, he eventually see him use SKILLS (as oppose to anything that hints at having superior power) to defeat Dooku, and we see Windu survive when the emperor cuts the other three masters down like Jedi (but whether this is down to skill, power or Palpatine purposefully leaving him alive and letting him win is left ambiguous) and even Yoda doesn't seem to be superior in any way, besides absorbing force lightening, which he then says is down to learning, rather than power.

"My powers have doubled since we last met" "you have become a far more powerful Jedi than I could hope to be" "powerful jedi was he, powerful jedi"
    We hear it but don't really see it... We see it limitedly with the sith, with some having more or or fewer abilities, but not really with Jedi with roughly equal training.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Really I don't see the Jedi being about power. Sure you can dissect certain things like their skills in combat, and how easily they can lift heavy objects, but really its about their understanding of the force, and the wisdom they gain from it. Every Jedi has a lightsaber, but a truly "powerful" Jedi is one who knows when not to use it. Anakin likes to boast about power, but power for its own sake is not a Jedi's goal, that is the Sith way I think.

For the likes of Obi-Wans line i'm pretty sure it was "You have become a far GREATER jedi then I could ever hope to be." I could be wrong, I am literally watching ROTS right now so I'll correct that in a bit.

And Yoda was likely just talking big. Yes Anakin was a powerful Jedi in the regards of skill, but then he fell to the dark side didn't he. He was just hinting to Luke of his true identity at that point.

Over all it isn't power Jedi seek (Though palpy might disagree :p) but wisdom.

EDIT: Yup he said greater not more powerful

AshiusX, Ezon Pin and Valiowk like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. Jedi measure power in terms of knowledge and restraint, whereas the Sith measure it in what can be done with the Force.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.