main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Being Evil for the Hell of it!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Jedi Ben: "I don't buy the line that Anakin ever attempted to make up for his actions while alive. He made one appearance from beyond the grave and that was that unless my NJO theory is proved in the next year or so. Luke made up for Anakin's evil, it wasn't Anakin himself..."

I agree.
    My theory is as follows: Anakin was "chosen" only to father Luke. Luke is the true hero of the Force and Anakin brought balance through him.
    That's my opinion, and we could also debate about what it means to bring "balance" to the Force, but, as Jedi Ben accurately put it, "...but this is a separate debate..." :)

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just to take a small diversion here (my thread, its allowed :) ) there is a philosophical foundation for the idea of Anakin being helped by Luke.

It flows from Aristotle, who held amongst other things, that a person's life should be evaluated on the basis of whether or not they achieved eudaimona. (A really tricky greek term to translate accurately) This evaluation could include the acts of the children, in that the acts of a child can be seen as a reflection of their upbringing and thus the person that raised them. Note though that Aristotle is not a philosopher with whom I have much familarity or liking for, if you're intereted go read a textbook on him.

Though I've used that line before I've just noticed that Vader didn't raise Luke, the Lars did, in which case the credit for Luke's achievements must go to them in part, for giving him the values that led him to try and redeem his father. Anain still gets some of the credit for saving Luke from death, but not all.

OK, one diversion ends here. :)

Jedi Ben

3. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Valyn said: For instance, I'll use the Lord of the Rings film. I wasn't impressed by it. Sauron was evil just for the heck of being evil, apparently. It was lame, in my opinion. I didn't like the story at all. I expected some epic adventure with complexity and sophistication. I felt as though a child attending elementary school could have written a similar tale (and I, myself, have done so when in elementary).

(emphasis added by me)

Have you read the books? Or is your opinion on the worthiness of LOTR as an epic adventure of good versus evil based soley on your opinion of one-third of the story that was condensed into a film?

4. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Anakin finally overcame his "darkerside" Vader when it mattered most (sort of like Twoface). He destroyed the one who masterminded the downfall of a galaxy and saved his son's life in the process. But Anakin knew he deserved to die.

"Luke, help me take... this mask off."

"But you'll die"

"Nothing can stop that now... just for once, I want to look on you with my own eyes."

That really sold Anakin's redemption for me, but to each his own.

Jedi Ben: Yeah, the whole Knightfall saga is availible in TPB. All three were at my local Waldenbooks so I've just been buying one every few weeks to make it last longer. :)

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, I think I have an example of a villian who loves being evil just for the hell of it, and Im pretty sure that Jedi Ben will agree.

Quinn Dexter. For those of you who dont know who he is, Dexter is a character in Peter Hamiliton's epic Night's Dawn trilogy. He is the main antagonist throughout the novels, and this guy literally drips evil. He takes the term street punk (called 'wasters' in the books) and gives it new meaning as he robs, kills, maims, and rapes his way to nototriety on his way to accepting his destiny as the Dark Messiah of the Night's Dawn. This motherf*****r is evil incarnate, believe me. Those who have read these books defintely know what Im talking about. Those that dont will know almost immediately once you start book one. This guy is for real.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Jades Fire: "Have you read the books?"

Nope.

"Or is your opinion on the worthiness of LOTR as an epic adventure of good versus evil based soley on your opinion of one-third of the story that was condensed into a film?"

Considering the fact that I clearly stated I was referring to the film, yes. :)

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep I agree with DV316!

A1607 I thought the books were:
    Knightfall Part 1
    Knightfall Part 2
    Knightsend

That's three books but not three acts. Knightquest was a huge story, bigger than Knightfall and that was split into two books. Only the smaller Knightsend is a single volume. Can you tell me the size of Knightquest because it must be one big TPB?

Jedi Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.