main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Being Middle Eastern and South Asian in the US

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Well, there would have to be some kind of explosive in there to make it a bomb. In addition to the machinery and wiring that were in Ahmed's case.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think we need a thread about being Middle Eastern and South Asian in the U.S. and I don't want to derail that, but I was interested in particular about the case you raised in the opening post, because that particular case is likely more about hair trigger school policies in the wake of all the Columbine style things that have happened in public schools.

Just think about the first teacher's reaction. It was a very understated, reasonable "hey you better put that thing away and not take it out again [because if you don't you will trigger the very special kind of maximum overdrive alarms that post Columbine school polices are now designed to trigger]"

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Alternately, the teacher might have recommended that he show it to the other teachers and explain what it is, so they wouldn't flip out when they saw it.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    But what about arresting the kid, interrogating him, putting him in a cell, and not telling the parents until they released him? Would all this have happened regardless of his ethnicity?

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Probably not, no. I mean, a white kid would get a lot of harsh attention because you know, every white kid killer ever. But, with the Boston Bombing? A muslim kid will get the worst of it. Because you know - one bombing by a Muslim vs hundreds of white shooters... at least the shooters aren't trying to poison our waters with their shari'a!

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Abadacus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you're talking about Florida, I think the correct phrasing would be "a Mozlem done did a shooting".

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    yes you're (both) right

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Hallinan is an idiotic bigot. I heard that he become obsessed with guns after the Aurora theater shooting, which was perpetrated by an insane white guy. It makes no sense. Furthermore, I read that most of the post-9-11 terrorist acts were carried out by conservatives.

10. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    [​IMG]
    #standwithahmed

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Does anyone know how the press got his name? I hope it was released by the parents. Otherwise, that's a massive FERPA violation.

12. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

They probably just checked social media. These days, it seems that every kid's got a smartphone and a facebook account...and I'm sure that seeing a teacher freak out and a classmate getting hauled to the office blew up the insta-gossip lines.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But, wouldn't the media be constrained on what could be reported?

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    All I can say is that it better not have come from anyone employed by the school district. FERPA is one of the cornerstone rules you learn when you go to work for a public school.

15. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

The American newsmedia is rarely about ethics in journalism or the search for truth. It's more about publishing that will get the most readers in the shortest amount of time.

Which is why last year, the New York Post settled a defamation lawsuit for pointing the finger at the wrong people in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Having lived in Florida for a number of years, I sometimes think that the situation here is somewhat similar to that in Texas: the major cities are progressive and liberal, with numerous liberal and forward-thinking people, but the political system of the state around them is so corrupted by draconian ideals that the former gets suffocated when looked at through a national/international lens.

Florida is a red state that doesn't believe science. But I would say that 80% of the Floridians I've met and known throughout the course of my life are more educated, more reasonable, and more liberal than state politicians.

However, this is of course a case of a very small sample size, as I've lived in Central/urban Florida and not rural hillbilly Florida. :p

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Aren't Hillbillies technically Appalachian? Surely the correct derogatory term is Redneck?

18. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    There actually are hills in Florida, though. :p

But yeah, redneck is more apt. In 15 years, I've only seen a Confederate flag here two times (both fairly recently!) :p

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

This is the father of the kid who brought the clock. He's ran for president of Sudan in the past, under the platform of human rights, women's rights, freedom of the press, free public education, etc. You know, ISIS values. [face_plain]

Abadacus, Chyntuck, Revyl Ren and 6 others like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm sorry, I was implying people in Florida are largely uneducated. If you missed that, I appreciate the assist but surely unnecessary?

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    The suitcase is missing the part where the two liquids mix.
    Hey Zeus.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Last year I was asked to help prepare an easy electronics and robotics syllabus for a class for gifted kids, so I researched what the most common projects among hobbyists are. It was a fun time, buying parts, writing code and getting exercises ready,

The digital clock was one, and all examples I found looked like that: a Radioshack box for the electronics and a giant LCD screen (for ease of connection and installation). So I really doubt it was a troll.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's good information, and you'd think that responsible journalists would be quick to dig that up and incorporate it into their...

never mind.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Here you have an even more dangerous looking clock based on a basic Arduino board and with the cheapest RadioShack (RIP) and Tupperware components:

[​IMG]

Abadacus and Jabbadabbado like this.
  25. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Quick! Someone body-check JoinTheSchwarz and slap the cuffs on him!