main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Belated Media: "What if Star Wars Episode 1 was good?"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by David_Skywalker01, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    You should make a video! [face_laugh]
    ---------------------------------

I'll leave that to better men :p

2. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I like some of his thoughts on really building up the Anakin/ Obi-Wan frenemy relationship (is that even a word? I hear the cool kids use it!). This was one of those "prequel misconceptions" that I remember really just having no doubt about at the time, as my friends and I always just assumed that at some point Obi-Wan and Padme would begin to have feelings for one another, adding another straw onto the proverbial Bantha's back that breaks leading Anakin to becoming Vader. It seemed like something that made sense to me and would possibly explain some of Obi-Wan's hesitations and "point of view" truths.

I always thought that would have been an interesting road to explore. Obviously, it didn't happen, but it could have been another way to approach the story and get it to the same place while also giving Obi-Wan a character flaw that we see reflected in his OT character.

3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    He is 100% spot on with the Phantom Menace critique. I wrote a critique of it years ago (yeah I had like no life that weekend hahaha) and it was similar.

AOTC he has some nice ideas but what I really like is Obi-Wan's personal torment and arc (and showing Anakin to be a cool noble Jedi, not what we were given).

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't bother with the so-called "experts" and I rarely pay attention to the Oscars.

When I watch a movie, the only person's opinion of that movie that I care about, is my own.

Did I enjoy it? Was I entertained?

Yes? Money well spent.

No? Money not well spent, no matter what the "experts" say about it.

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I stop taking critics seriously a long time ago. I learned to realize that if I'm interested in seeing a movie . . . see it. After that, only I can determine whether I like it or not.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    So this!
    I don't care about critics and whether or not a film is "critically acclaimed". If I don't enjoy watching the film, then its not a good film! Which is why the Academy Awards are so silly, since most of the films they nominate are so devoid of enjoyment its saddening. (also, they haven't actually given a year's best film the Best Picture award since 2003! )

7. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Yes, sure let's all have a discussion about our opinions - but then this...

So your point is not simply that you think the PT is flawed, but that it is OBJECTIVELY flawed. Not only that, but that the precondition to decent forum discussions is if PT fans could just accept that they like something that is empirically bad, cuz "there's no shame in that." lol, so basically "Just admit you like crap and we can all move on here."

You wonder why PT fans are a tad defense (admittedly I am)? It's because self-identifying SW fans make videos called "What if the Prequels were REALLY REALLY GOOD?" and post them in the PT forum. While others post comments asking us to accept that what we like is actually verifiably bad.

Couching all that in some hollow nonsense about 'good forum discussion' is kind of disingenuous

8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

In a way I'm glad that didn't happen, that would have been predictable and coma inducing at the same time, I didn't like how it looked to be a love triangle in the OT neither, thats why I was happy when Lucas made Leia Luke's sister.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013

I never watch a movie vased,on critics. First I see a movie Im interested in then I do a little bit of research in critic reviews, interviews with the cast and crew...all part of my movie watching experience.

10. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    There is no such "consensus" you're talking about . Speaking about it : if they were so "informed " , why don't they all share the same opinion ? Are some of them even "more informed" than others ? But what's consensus under the even more informed critics ? And why do they still not all share the same opinion ?
    You see , that kind of argument fails.

My real question to you , though :
    Who do you think is more informed about film: those who studied at film school and went on to actually making films (say George Lucas) or those who work at newspapers and earn their money by writing headlines aboutother's films?

11. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

The video I hate. why? A self rigjteous idiot goes on to say what if ep 1 &2 were really good but he then talks about his ideas. That is an ego trip all in itself.

I have reasons for not liking some aspects of the PT, they are mine. But I like the movies but when many people go oy they are bad I wont get in a self righteous argument about why they are so good. I understand how flawed they are. Hell I would even say thats part of the fun. Watchin Hayden's wooden acting. Watching the bad romantic scenes. But some people wont enjoy "the bad moments" and wont see also "the good moments".

When I saying they are bad its not that they are objectively bad but that they do have a bad rep. A bad rep that streches through many serious critics and many fans. Its something you have to know alot of people didnt like them. But also alot did like them. You just have to accept when opinions are divided as they are with the PT controversy will insue.

If you take offense that I call the PT bad well Im sorry. i like them but i know what i dont like in them, but I also know that so many people hate them that its only fair to give the movie its title of "bad". Not that I agree its bad but I do agree its not well received so wheb I voice my liking of the movie some snob or pedantic critic while go:

"What? You are an idiot for liking them?"

Harsh? Yes. Are they wrong? Of course. Are we prepared for it? Of course cause we know what are the popular opinions of the movies and we are going against the current and backlash is inevitable. Can we debate about it? Yes, if the snob is open minded enough.

But throwing a tantrum because somebody said the PT sucks is not the right way. You can show them what you saw that made it great.

To me TPM is the closest to to the OT of the PT. I like most of it and have few problems with it. ATOC and ROTS have bug flaws among them wooden acting and hasty story work. But I think an amalgam of TPM and AtOc would have been an excelent first film.

That of course is my opinion.

There is a difference from saying its objectively good or bad to humbly understanding why do people in general think something is good or bad. Be they right or wrong. Now I dont want you to think Im a PT hater. But I do get the reasons why people hate them. here was a forum of what I did like of the prequels and ots a very long post because i do alot about them.

But I can be blind to the fact that so many people dont like it that frustrating myself over it wont solve a thing.

A thread here usually asks questions over the most hotly debated issues like Anakin's story or portrayal or things like that.

Nobody asks about the duels, the visuals, etc. You know the PT's strongest points.

If you love the PT post a thread of what you consider universally praised of the PT. Things nobody even questions.

But I think we post controversial issues because that makes the thread hot with the discussion it insues.

Its fun to be a SW,fan.

12. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

Many critics are usually cinema lovers,and in some cases studied cinema themselves and also literature. That's you dont listen to all critics but to a certain set of them, whose opinions you trust. Why informed people like Ebert, Siskel, Martin, Roeper have made their life about debating and talking about movies. Their studies are about such topics. When you watch a movie and later read Ebert review im sure he will in his review of it shed some light in things you didnt necesarilly see.

Informed opinions like say when a serious movie critic, or a moviemaker like Tarantini maje their opinions known about a certain film its important to read their reaction to it. Do you necesarilly have to agree? No ofcourse not.

13. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I really don't think you can put this on the PT fans. Even in the PT section of this forum and even in posts that are just about discussing some random PT character or aspect - inevitably somebody will post "it sucked like everything else in the PT". Mind you, 9 times out of 10 they are just ignored, but its relentless. It really isn't movie critic who are attacking - its almost always another SW fan. It's a fact of life that if you are a PT fan and open about it, a certain section of SW fandom will not leave you alone. Unfortunately, and I don't think anybody can deny this, there is a small group of OT purists who spend more time hating PT than they do liking OT.. That is why so many PT fans are quick to reach for their polemic rifles when ppl post stuff like the OP

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Opinions are still opinions, no matter where they come from. If someone's job is to review something as subjective as art, it doesn't mean their opinion is more valid that someone else who saw the same art, only that they do it for a living.

Also, what's an "informed opinion" from a "serious movie critic"? If I see a movie and give my opinion on it, am I not giving an informed opinion? If I share that opinion in an intelligent and non-arrogant or offensive manner (which the OP didn't do), am I not being serious? And why is it important to hear the opinion of a filmmaker on someone else's movie? They know as much about it as anyone else who saw it.

P.S: Just because you do something, doesn't mean everyone else does (or should do).

15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Fine . I just disagree that so called "informed" opinions are more valid than "normal" opinions.
    Most critics watch a movie once and then move on to write their review hecticly (in order to submit their article in time before deadline ). There is not much time to go in-depth. I'd say that some users here might even be more "informed" about Star Wars films because they have actually watched the movies several times and delved into them.

16. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Ok. Ill give on that one. Just to end this topic. Opinions are opinions...everybody happy? :D :p

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  17. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    I have seen these videos before, and let me just say I'm glad this guy didn't direct the Prequels.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Agreed.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He does have some points especially for II. I would have loved to see Dooku essentially return to a good Force-sensitive. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.