main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph (Belatedly, but still) Happy birthday, Milo? Forman!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Mar17swgirl, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    (repost from JCC)

=D=

The great Czech-American director celebrated his 80th birthday yesterday. There was a very nice documentary about his life and works on Czech Television, which I watched, and they played a number of his films on various Czech and Slovak TV stations. I haven't seen all his films, but what I've seen I really like.

Maybe we can haz a discussion of his films here...? :)

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Sure. Post some biographical info, and start with his first film...

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Big fan of Forman. Gets great performances, uses memorable visuals that aren't ostentatious, and always has an interesting perspective. Amadeus is his masterpiece, followed closely by One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I'm also really fond of Konkurs, The Fireman's Ball, Man on the Moon, and the criminally undervalued Goya's Ghosts.

4. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I even liked his movie RAGTIME, which had a great little part for the long retired James Cagney.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Amadeus is still a masterpiece. I enjoy Cuckoo's Nest, though it has its flaws and isn't a patch on the novel. I'd forgotten Ragtime was one of his movies; it's another example of novel being better, but Brad Dourif was very good in it and it is a kick to see Cagney again, however briefly.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I thought Rollins was the standout in Ragtime. I was pleased to learn he got an Oscar nomination for his work.

As did Elizabeth McGovern, which is curious. Not that her work is bad, it's just odd that AMPAS singled her out.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

AMADEUS begins on TCM in 7 minutes.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Recorded it...