Amph Beleriand Tales: The Discussion of the first age of the Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jacen-Vader, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope that was a joke theory . . .
  2. Jacen-Vader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, I understand., JediNemesis.

About Bombadil
    Yes I have believe this in a moment, but I see it as a Maiar or a Valar.
  3. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sure that was a joke... I believe he's a Maiar, nothing more sensible comes t my mind. I don't think he could be a Valar. Which one, then? Yavanna?
  4. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    What is everyones favorite Chapter of the Quenta Silmarillion.

About the Nightfall of Valinor - bloody brilliant chapter. Elves are amazing there, Valars are amazing, Morgoth is amazing, Ungoliant is both terrific and fantastic...
    :D

Yeah, lol. I took the book, looked the alphabetical order of the names, liked this one and took it as my username. :p
    Fingolfin vs Morgoth is an amazing battle. For all fans; there is a song about that battle - Time stands still by band Blind Guardian. :)

Oh, yes. Beren and Luthien pwn! They are possibly the best fiction couple ever. Instead of whinning around, they decided to take the matter into their own hands and they attacked Morgoth himself in very dingeons of Angband. How brilliant!

Awesome pics, everyone!

Yes I have believe this in a moment, but I see it as a Maiar or a Valar.

None actualy. In LOTR, he says that he is older than both the time and the world.
    Maybe he is Iluvatar himself... Just a guess.
  5. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
  6. Jacen-Vader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very interesting the links Kypstatic. Thanks
  7. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4

I think for a hobbit, or even anyone except the most ancient elves, Maiars would sound older than the time and the world. It's just a matter of... wider look (I don't know how to put it)? But the Iluvatar theory in nice still. This would be quite Tolkien-style - Eru living between Shire and Bree :D

And please don't say that Beren and Luthien pwn... :rolleyes:
  8. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually I kind of agree . . . let's maintain some semblance of seriousness here :p
  9. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    You see now no one wants to post here :p
  10. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6

But they are not as cheesy as many other fictional couples. That is why I like their story.
  11. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    But they are not as cheesy as many other fictional couples. That is why I like their story.

Oh, I think we all agree. I'm pretty sure all that Raja was objecting to was the use of 'pwn' in a serious thread. :p
  12. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    Amon did you think I don't like the Leithian? I just think these are not the proper terms to describe it... I didn't mean this should be a completely serious thread, but you see, I am not only a purist. I am a devoted confessor.

;)
  13. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I apologize for the use of 'pwn' word.
    :)

Ok, a question? Who is your favourite Valar?
  14. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    Yavanna... I love plants of all sorts. And I love Tolkien's attitude for them, especially for trees. Yavanna is an essence of it.
  15. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I also like Tolkiens view of trees and all life forms in general (like Rohan horses in LOTR). He has a great respect towards nature and I really like that in his books.
    However, taking taht I am very interesting in geology and palaeontology, I think that Aule would be my Valar-protector. ;) Though I'm not small, I'm always digging up some fossils or minerals, like the Dwarves did. And Aule created the Dwarves. ;)
  16. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Melkor!!

No.

I was going to say Aule as well, but thinking about it, it would probably have to be Mandos. I love history, and to know about all the things that have happened, as well as all that shall come to pass.
  17. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Mandos. He keeps the halls of the dead (actually, isn't it his home that's called Mandos, properly? I can't even remember his actual name . . .) and the history of the world . . . yes. I agree with Kyptastic.
  18. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    His real name is Námo, Mandos is the name of the house, as you said.
  19. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember now. [face_blush] And his brother Lórien's real name is Irmo, IIRC.
  20. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I just remembered Ulmo. He is great one too.
    I like the way Tolkien described him and his relationship with the Elves.

[image=http://people.netscape.com/staats/gallery/images/ulmo.jpg]
  21. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved Ulmo too, but I always hated this picture. He looks like a Sea Santa in it [face_plain]

I know we were talking about Valars, but I propose to pick our favourite Maiars too. Mine, for example, are Osse and Uinen. Just came to my mind when you mentioned Ulmo.
  22. Jacen-Vader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Tulkas and Orome, Ulmo too. Nice pic of Ulmo Amon Amarath.
  23. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Favorite Maiar, Id have to say Eonwe (Herald of Manwe, master of weapons), followed by Gothmog (lord of Balrogs, mainly because of his duel with Ecthelion and for killing Feanor) and of course, Olorin.
  24. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I need to pay off my library card (late fees [face_blush]) so I can take The Silmarrilon out.
  25. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Maiar? Eönwë. (I seem to be agreeing with Kyptastic a lot. . . [face_thinking])

It always struck me that he was the only one to be entrusted with the Silmarils that didn't have a personal stake in them (inheritance, winning Lúthien, etc.) apart from possibly Eärendil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.