Amph Beleriand Tales: The Discussion of the first age of the Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jacen-Vader, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Into the Storm seems to fit the book, as it's about the Silmarils. I still can't figure out what the hell the Aaron Hill has to do with Silmarillion :p
  2. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    In not sure about the Anakin/Feanor parrallel, as I wouldnt compare the Noldor to the Jedi. Theres some similarities in the tragedies that occured due to their actions but Feanor is much more of a parrallel to Moses in the bible to a certain degree.
  3. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    His mother passed away? o_O

EDIT: And tengwar. Tengwar is the Decalogue.
  4. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    One of my favourites is Nightfall. It follows the book perfectly and it has fantastic vocals. When the sorrow sang is also very good. Brilliant guitars. And for the 100th time, it is not Aaron Hill; Hansi's pronounciation is not so bad at all.

Moses?!? o_O
    I totaly disagree with that. According to the Bible, Moses listened to his god about everything. Fëanor was much stronger and more independant character. He cannot possibly be compared to Bible characters.
  5. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Sif. It's almost certainly: "When time stands still at the Aaron Hill!"

There is no 'r' in Iron! :p
  6. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Moses?!? I totaly disagree with that. According to the Bible, Moses listened to his god about everything. Fëanor was much stronger and more independant character. He cannot possibly be compared to Bible characters.

Better re-read your Exodus again. Moses was denied Israel because he claimed the power of God when he drew water from the rock instead of praising God as the reason for the miracle. Moses was lambasted by Jehovah for his arrogance and was constantly questioning Gods decisions ( although he only he disobeyed him the one time, which was enough ). And couldnt possibly be compared to Bible characters? I think you better reread The Silmarillion again. Its loaded with parrallels to Greek mythology and the Judeo Christian bible - and Feanor most defintely has many elements of Moses ( and David ) in him. Leading elves on an " exodus " not being the least among them.
  7. Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Cobra, don't you even think of talking against Time stands still at the Iron Hill! I took my username from that song; at first on BG boards, then here. ;) :p

I agree here. Feanor was a unique man. He created Silmarils and into them he put all his powers which gave a new destiny to the entire Arda. What did Moses do? He made a few tricks because god told him to. feanor at least had a head of his own to think with.

8. Svebor Jedi Knight

star 1
    There are some elements of christian mythology in all of Tolkien's works, but I strongly disagree to Feanor being compared to Moses. As Amon_Amarth and Lord_of_all_Noldor stated, Feanor was strongwilled. He was also stubborn, brave and extremely smart. Moses from the Bible was none of that. He was blindly obediant to god, while Feanor openly defied his 'gods'. Feanor also had a gift of creating magnificent things, Moses just put on a few tricks not with his own knowledge and power but with god's help.
    I also think that main characters of The Silmarillion should not be compared to Bible characters in any way.

Cobranaconda, yes I also think singer's pronountiation is a bit strange, though I like it. My favourite song on NiME is Dead Winter Reigns (Noldor), and Nightfall is also great.
  9. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    I like "Time stands still", though I also hear 'r' in 'iron'. Oh, and "Lammoth" is also good :p

And about the Moses/Feanaro thing again... Maybe Moses disobeyed god once, but still I don't find it 'rebellious' enough to compare him to Feanor. Moses, like Feanor, led the his people to exodus, but he did it because god told him to. About Feanaro, well, we all know. And, as others have already said, Moses haven't created a thing of his own, he was just an instrument of god.

One can say Feanor and Moses played kind of similar roles in their stories, but as characters they were completely different.
  10. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Moses led the Jewes in the exodus, but as Raja explained, that wasn't his idea. And leading a large group of people on a hard journey in the only possible parallell between Moses and Fëanor.
    Tolkien used a lot of motives from many mythologies, not only the Christianity. However, I don't think Bible characters in general should be compared to Tolkien's character because they are often weak. They don't have ideas or great deeds of their own, they are just god's tool. In Silmarillion, characters are much stronger that that. Each one has his/hers destiny and importance as independant individuals, especially in Quenta Silmarillion. Tolkien's 'gods', the Valars, don't interfere in the ways of Arda after the creation, they don't manipulate people's lives, they sit on Mahanaxar and observe the world.

Lammoth is powerful! :p My favourite intro is War of Wrath. :D
  11. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    All this talking about Nightfall in Middle Earth actually sent me over to iTunes to see what all the fuss was about. :p From the previews, it seems pretty good. I'll probably get it later today . . .

I don't think there's much ground for comparison between Moses and Fëanor. I suppose you could parallel the Red Sea and the journey to Middle-Earth, but like A_A posted, that's probably it.

Fëanor wasn't chosen by anybody to lead his people anywhere. Let's face it, he was a headstrong, proud, talented character who didn't like being told No and didn't like people stealing his Silmarils. He was responsible for the Kinslaying, and through the Oath, indirectly to blame for pretty much all the bad things that later happened to the Elves.

Nope, I don't think you can really compare him to Moses.
  12. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, I guess we need something new to discuss. I, for instance, don't like Nemesis' colours :p
  13. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    The yellow-and-white tends to have people reeling around going "AAH! My eyes! It BURNS!" à la Gollum :p

Is this better? Or should I go for orange-and-black Balroggishness?
  14. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    I like it like it is now, fits your icon :)
  15. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Cool. You won't regret geting the album, it is brilliant. :)

Yeah, Fëanor was very headstrong...if Beleriand characters had a horoscope, Fëanor would have probably be Aries. :p
  16. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    See, I've just realized another association with Moses! The AARON Hill! :p
  17. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_laugh] Good one.
    But seriously, he says Iron. [face_not_talking]

:p
  18. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    The pronounced R in Iron is distinctly weird :confused: But Nightfall in Middle-Earth is a damn good album - thanks for recommending it, guys. Reminds me a bit of Genesis, or early Queen. My favourites so far are probably Time Stands Still, Mirror Mirror, and When Sorrow Sang.

So, is it an unforgivable desecration of Tolkien's vision to create a prog-rock album based on the Silmarillion? :p Or is it no more of a desecration than was filming the "unfilmable" Lord of the Rings?

Thoughts?
  19. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure the idea of 'adaptation' of Tolkien's books as music rather than as movies is better. Music requires more imagination (not just heaps of money and computers), both in creation and reception (I ain't sure of this word...).

And yes, Nightfall in Middle Earth reminds me somehow of Queen too :D
  20. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    *Power Metal. Otherwise Amon will smite you :p

But no, nothing's blasphemy, seeing as it manages to preserve the work with only pronunciation mistakes :p
  21. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    Nightfall in Middle Earth is power metal? Gosh, I really AM deaf :p
  22. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    No. Not the prog, just not the prog. That would be like butchering the Silmarillion.
    Power Metal is a genre that usualy deals with motives from Fantasy and Science Fiction.
  23. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Perhaps I should make "Tear Maiden" a prog song instead of a Power Metal one like I was planning :p
  24. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    So... you'll put that in the title? o_O
  25. Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Knight

star 3
    =D=

What do you guys think about Unfinished Tales?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.