main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Belief in the Chosen One

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RamRed, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I had just finished watching a scene in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, in which Obi-Wan had expressed doubt about Anakin to Mace and Yoda. Only Mace had seemed certain that Anakin was the Chosen One. This has led me to wonder what had led Mace to change his views about Anakin? Did someone point out Anakin's friendship with Palpatine as an example that Anakin was not the one? Or did Mace change his mind all on his own?

And does anyone know who was the first person on the Council to point out the dangers of Anakin's friendship with Anakin to the other members? Obi-Wan had seemed aware of the dangerous friendship in his conversation with Anakin, following the disastrous Council member, as well as in AOTC.

2. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I never think Mace truly beleived it, although he went along with it because Yoda and many of the other Council Masters beleived it. That is until ROTS where Anakin & Mace seemed at each others throats every other second.

As for Anakins friendships with Palpatine & Padme, theere is nothing against being friends with them. Just that most Jedi dont trust poloticians.

3. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    The crazy people in The Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi who chanted "Son of the Suns!" believed...

4. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I don't think that Yoda ever believed that Anakin was the Chosen One. In fact, I believe that after the Battle of Naboo, he told Obi-Wan that he was against the Council's decision to allow Anakin to be trained as a Jedi Knight. He seemed to be the sole voice of dissent on this matter. But I do believe that Mace truly believed - at least in AOTC. And in ROTS, he seemed disappointed by his revised belief that Anakin might not fulfill the prophecy after all.

5. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Well...In TPM, I just didn't get the feeling that Yoda or Mace even CARED if Anakin was the Chosen One or not. Yoda sensed something clouded in his future, and so he just didn't think that the boy was Jedi material. In AOTC, we learn that Anakin has saved his own Master NUMEROUS times, and has showed some excellent skills, and a lot of potential. So things were beginning to fall in place [excluding the fact that Anakin was a little big-headed]. Then, along comes ROTS, and Anakin is just brilliant. He saves Obi-Wan in front of our eyes agian, he frees Palpatine, kills a Sith Lord, reveals the Sith Lord that the Jedi have been looking for, and a whole wack of things. Is there really any doubt that this guy is the Chosen One? I just don't think that the problem was whether or not he was the Chosen One, I think the problem is whether or not he was trustworthy.

6. Jedi_Hoppin_Bun

Jedi_Hoppin_Bun Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I agree with anakin_luver and I'll go one step further: IMHO, I believe that although the council could tell that Anakin was displaying exceptional skills and promise during AOTC and beyond, I believe that he wasn't the kind of "chosen one" they were looking for or that they expected from the prophecy. He didn't exactly live the perfect Jedi lifestyle and was too reckless and angry. He may have been gifted in the force, but he didn't exhibit strict adherence to the Jedi Code. Because of this, Mace probably changed his mind from "He is the chosen one" to "Is he the chosen one?"

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I believe Mace believed it the entire time simply because he either felt or saw Skywalker do some amazing things with the Force that no other padawan learner or Jedi Knight for that matter never did.

Anakin's high midichlorian count would be adequate enough for anyone with knowledge of the prophecy to think that he was in fact the Chosen One.

8. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

Exactly. I have heard numerous people complain about Anakin, and his arrogance. And I believe that those people, along with the Jedi, were expecting the Chosen One to be some sort of hero that came swooping in on the scene with a huge cape, and rescued people from fires or something. And that was the big shocker. He *wasn't.* He was human. And I think some people just couldn't believe that (including Mace and the others).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.