main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben and Luke On Tatooine Question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I agree with DA, staying on the planet watching Luke making sure he is safe is his mission until Luke ever decides to be a Jedi and seek out Obi-Wan. Also if Yoda gave Obi-Wan that mission I doubt Obi-Wan (who goes by the book) would be wreckless and run around the galaxy for no reason, Luke is Priority number 1. I also wouldn't think running around the galaxy when the whole Empire is exterminating the remaining Jedi would be safe.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, zipping around the galaxy when your order is being actively hunted isn't a hot idea. Notice how Sidious never shows his face to anyone beyond who's necessary? Same rules for Obi-Wan.

3. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I think that there are a few reasons.

First, If you notice, Ben takes a completely different tack when starting Luke's training than he did with Anakin. Ben was constantly correcting and bickering with Anakin like a father would. This obviously didnt work.

With Luke, he was unassuming, easy-going, and let Luke come to his own conclusions and decisions, and never bitched at him. To me, this is obviously a fundamental change in Ben, something that he had thought long about in seclusion.

This shows that whatever is left of the Jedi (Ben and Yoda) realize that the old way was not working, and maybe they needed to let a human grow up a little and develop emotional identities instead of training it out of them from the get go. After all, this emotional tie to Vader is what made him successful is it not?

Secondly, if the training needed to be changed to adapt to an older student, his life before training needs to be well rounded and healthy. Doesnt it make more sense to let him be raised in a family situation rather than some lonely old guy who is on the lam from the government?

4. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    I think OB1 and Owen had some kind of agreement as far as taking care of Luke. Probably Owen would watch Luke but OB1 couldn't come around the house (dwelling?). I think Owen didn't want any part of "the Force" in Luke's life. He might of done it for his dad, Cliegg, since Luke was his stepgrandson(?),or at least his dad's, wife's grandson (uh, yeah). Anyway, OB1 I'm sure "stuck around" but I bet he had his own adventures from time to time. It doesn't really matter how much time he did or didn't spend on Tatooine, I'm sure he kept an eye on Luke. I really don't think Luke would have become "arrogant" simply because he would have been raised by OB1. If the "farm life" was supposed to be great for him, he sure wanted to get out of there! He was his father's son, no matter where he would be raised. I think OB1 thought at the time believed that leaving Luke with Owen and Beru was the best thing for Luke. Besides, where else was OB1 going to leave Luke with, Dex?

BTW, I don't think OB1 knows about Leia AND he also doesn't know Yoda is stil alive! Just a couple of theories of mine...

5. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    BTW, I don't think OB1 knows about Leia AND he also doesn't know Yoda is stil alive! Just a couple of theories of mine...

I think he knows about both, I believe that he doesn't think Leia can become a jedi, (maybe it's because she's a politician and they are not to be trusted). As for Yoda, I believe that he knows he is alive because I think that they are together when the kids are born and then they decide what to do. Maybe Yoda gives Ben the assignment to watch over Luke and then they part ways. Ben might not know that he is on Dagobah until after his death, or maybe Yoda contacted in through the force and let him know where he was is he ever needed anything, you know like mynock stew. That's just my opinion of course.

6. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    Obi-Wan was an outlaw and if the Empire found im Luke would also be dead. He wanted to keep Luke safe till he was ready, thats what I think at least. Also it probably took Obi-Wan a while to build up confidence in himself that he could once again train a Jedi.

7. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    If Obi-Wan had taken Luke in to be rised by himself.
    The chances of he and Luke to be found by The Emperor would have been to great.
    Thus there would have not been A New Hope for the Glaxay if this had happened.

8. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    And the fact that posing such questions as valid would delete the movies all together.

What if Vader force-chocked Liea and killed himself on the Tantive?

9. treborcram

treborcram Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2003
    I believe that Obi-Wan didn't want to begin Luke's training when he was a baby because of two reasons:

1) The use of the Force by two Force-strong individuals may have drawn the attention of the Emperor and/or Vader.

2) Obi-Wan decided that he would be better off meditating and preparing for his death so that he could help Luke as a Force-ghost (?). I believe that was what Yoda was doing also as he waited for Luke to arrive at a point when he was ready to be trained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.