main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben Kenobi PT & OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Drac39, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ewan's Obi-Wan has kind of ruined the PT. He is a talented actor,but he is no Alec Guiness. I didn't feel that it was Old Ben. He is the least like his OT character. Ewan is no doubt a talented actor,but he had big boots to fill. I think he was one of the reasons I don't like the PT that much.

If this is in the wrong place please lock,and tell me where it should be

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think Ewan's Alec impression is spot-on.

One weird thing, though -- when I see Ewan in TPM or AOTC, I can "flash forward" in my mind and see him becoming Alec Guinness. But I can't "flash back" from Alec footage in the OT and think, That was the guy who fought Darth Maul, or whatever.

I think, though, that PT Obi is slowly growing into his OT self. AOTC Obi was more confident, collected, on top of things than TPM's. He's maturing.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    IMO, Ewan has made Alec Guiness's portrayal of Obi-Wan even greater. I wouldn't replace Ewan for the world.

4. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    I have to agree with Adam and lorn_zahl, Ewan has done a fine job of connecting the two Obis. I understand he took great efforts to study Alec's portrayal(i.e. gestures,body movements,etc.)

Good job!

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I agree with the others, Ewan is the perfect young Obi-Wan.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think Ewan is perfect to play a young Obi-Wan. He's perfect for the role.

7. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    For what it's worth, I believe that Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Frank Oz, and Ian McDiarmid were the saviors of the PT, in terms of acting ability. Without them, it would have been "Wing Commander" with a Lucasfilm label on it and music by John Williams.

8. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Besides, obi-wan will be different in the future, i mean since the PT obi's gotten old, gone through the clone wars and jedi purge etc.

9. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Exactly

Remember that the OT Obi-wan, Ben, has been through a lot more then Ewan's PT Obi-wan

Alec's Obi-wan was much older, wiser from experience, collected, reserved, calmer. Many attributes gotten simply from growing old, as well as being through the Clone Wars, Jedi Purge, watching his apprentice and good friend turn his back on him and subsequently murder millions

The PT obi-wan is much more energetic, more eager, with an "i'll take on anything that comes my way" attitude. That was at least TPM's Obi-wan. AOTC's Obi-wan started to show great signs of maturity, recognizing Anakin's faults while following what he preached, a very important thing many people in real life don't do

And I'm sure that in the end the biggest change is caused by Anakin's fall to the dark side. Simply knowing that it was your apprentice that betrayed the Jedi Order and helped murder millions of people would eat at you for your entire life, even if it wasn't your fault

10. darth-radical

darth-radical Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2003
    remember taht obiwan is to be careless in PT and gradually change into waht he is later, more disiplined. Ewan is doing very well at that. The only problem is his voice.

11. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    His voice? His voice is perfect!!!!!

IMO Ewan is the best you can get, all around. I find that his voice is incredibly similar to Alecs.

12. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I honestly think that no one could play Obi-Wan better than Ewan McGregor. [face_love] He's perfect for the role! And yes- Ewan did take a great amount of time studying Alec Guiness' role in the OT and trying to match up with it. I can see Obi-Wan turning into Ben very easily. Even if there were a chance, I would never, ever want another actor to play Obi.

The only problem is his voice.

[face_shocked] His voice is the best!! His voice is perfect, wonderful and stunning! I think his accent enunciates his character well. Very well. Ewan is the best actor for this role, and I don't think abyone could play him half as well as Ewan did. And the eyes? [face_love] Okay, going into rabid Ewan fangirl mode here? [face_devil] I'll try to stop. 8-}

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`ve thought about everything you guys have said before starting this thread. I think Ewan's Alec is very terrible. I just don't see a great jedi master developing on the screen. I see a guy put up there to get a star cast. He is terrible,and will never be Ben Kenobi. Ben Kenobi is probably my favorite OT character after Luke & Yoda. It hurts me to see him portrayed badly! Honestly he should have done what he did for ANH,look for unknown actors for Episode I not stars who can't be SW's charcters

14. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Most of Ewans work before TPM is quite unheard of, while he had made many movies before, TPM was the one movie that really pushed him to the top, how many people have actually seen him in Little Voice? or Jane Austins:Emma In a way you could say his role as Obi-Wan in TPM was his breakthrough role, the one that got him the bigger parts and put him in the Public eye.

Well, let me put it to you this way, since you seem to despise Ewan as a younger Obi-wan Kenobi so much, who would you have play him?

15. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    I was once a AG fanatic. I watched everything he was ever in. I had recordings of him doing Shakespeare & reading TS Eliot poems etc... I'm still a big fan but. . .

EM IS Obi-Wan for me now. It just works. I don't think of AG when I watch the PT, I think of EM when I watch the OT.

Ewan rocks!

16. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I really couldn't see anyone else playing young Obi-Wan other than Ewan. That's how good I think he is. To me, I simply see one guy, worn by time and with the weight of the galaxy upon his shoulders. I have no difficulty in believing that the man who fought Jango Fett at Kamino is the same person who rolls down his hood in ANH and says to R2,"Hello there..."

It's a seemless transition. I have no doubt EP3 will further enhance the realism of this gradual transformation between young and old. And whilst the star wars saga is the tale of the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, it is Obi-Wan who remains the one key character - the recognisible link between PT and OT.

Two actors: one character. Both played fantastically. :)

17. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I`ve thought about everything you guys have said before starting this thread. I think Ewan's Alec is very terrible. I just don't see a great jedi master developing on the screen. I see a guy put up there to get a star cast. He is terrible,and will never be Ben Kenobi. Ben Kenobi is probably my favorite OT character after Luke & Yoda. It hurts me to see him portrayed badly! Honestly he should have done what he did for ANH,look for unknown actors for Episode I not stars who can't be SW's charcters

Actually, McGregor is STILL practically unknown to people outside of Star Wars fandome. WHereas Alec Guiness was famous before Star Wars.

So, you have your story wrong pal.

18. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    I don't know about that. Moulin Rouge did pretty well and generated some pretty strong critical response. Also, Trainspotting was one of the bigger indie flicks among the art house set.

19. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    I think it strenghens Alec's OB1 in creating a valiant history behind the wise old man who confronts Vader and trains Luke. And Ewan is Oscar-worthy compared to others actors in the PT. It's all relative.

20. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    EM IS Obi-Wan for me now. It just works. I don't think of AG when I watch the PT, I think of EM when I watch the OT.

Exactly! Ewan IS Obi-Wan. I think he's one of the best things about the prequels! He's a fantastic actor, and I think he really pulled it off!

Go Ewan!!!!

21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    On other people playing young Obi-Wan:

I adore Ewan's Obi-Wan too, but I remember being excited about an early rumor that Kenneth Branaugh was going to play the character. He would have been great, although it would have been hard to pass him off as a 25-year-old in TPM.

No complaints about EM though. :D

22. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    ewan is a great actor. alec was one of the greatest actors ever. of course those are big shoes to fill. could anybody do it? no not even ewan.

but it shows his talent to see him try.

ewan is capable of truly becoming anybody he wishes. watch trainspotting then AOTC, watch him in the pillow book. each charactewr is a different one. each unique. he has more actual talent then many "big" names out there. he does his own fighting in the star wars films, he did his own singing in moulin rouge. he is willing to physicly change himself for each role. lost weight for trainspotting gained weight for big fish(tim burtin film later this year).

nobody can fill alec guinness boots. but at least they found the best guy to try.

23. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't have a problem seeing Ewan's Obi-Wan becoming Alec's Obi-Wan, but I wouldn't go out of my way praising Ewan's acting in the PT. Yes, it has gotten better, but it is no more or less flat than most of the other actors involved in the PT. It's just ridiculous to think that these guys are going to give stunning performances all by themselves in bluescreen rooms.

I'm not saying Ewan is a bad actor, in fact I'm a fan of his non-SW stuff. I still get literally disgusted by Ewan's character in Trainspotting (that's a compliment for those that haven't seen it). Also, he does some nice work in the PT when he has another actor to play off of, such as his argument with Anakin after Padme falls out of the gunship. He also demonstrates a comedic flair definitely lacking in the PT as a whole. But when it's just Ewan acting by himself (many scenes on Kamino or Geonosis), he's just as flat and uninteresting as many of the other actors in the PT.

When I look past the acting and just try to watch the character development of Obi-Wan, I can see the gradual transformation. I also agree that the events of Episode III are really going to shape Obi-Wan and complete his character as he goes into the CT. I believe Ewan will really be called upon to highlight his acting in Episode III. Obi-Wan will have nearly as many conflicts within himself as Anakin, and Ewan is going to have to convince us that Obi-Wan's struggles are just as difficult as Anakin's.

24. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Moulin Rouge did pretty well and generated some pretty strong critical response. Also, Trainspotting was one of the bigger indie flicks among the art house set.

I'm not saying he hasnt' been successful. I mean, go on the street and mention Ewan McGregor and people probably still won't know who you mean unless they're Star Wars fans.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Other than the issues I have with Ewan's re-shoot work in AOTC (he's stiffer in the accent department, and that wig... :( ) I think he has been one of the highlights of the PT. I would like GL to loosen up on trying to direct actors though, Ewan could bring more charm and humour to the role if given the leeway. I really can't think of anyone else I would rather have playing the young Obi-Wan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.