main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Ben Kenobi" vs. "Master Obi-Wan"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Now it's long been one of those bizarre questions... what the heck did George cast Ewan McGregor as the young Alec Guinness for...?!

A possible answer struck me when I saw a quote from Sir Alec's official biographer, to the effect that he was "a bad man trying to be good". Ewan's Kenobi isn't just a hideously miscast Ewan McGregor... he's playing a hideously miscast Ewan McGregor...

"I'm going to get a drink"

That wasn't the first time Kenobi had been in a bar... and he seemed to know what he was doing in Mos Eisley as well. "Wretched hive of scum and villainy"? Ben Kenobi loved the place.

What? You thought he hid in that hut for twenty years?

Nahh.

What's that you say? Not very Jedi? Sure, he'd have to sneak out like a naughty schoolboy... but the man behind the mask, I suspect, is very different from the man who Anakin thinks he is...

Then there's the Clone Wars. I've not seen the comics yet, but I'll wager that it was the most fun he'd ever had. Not that he could admit it, of course, least of all to Anakin... but have there been any hints to this end in the comics yet? Or is General Kenobi just looking dour all the time?

Then there's the genuinely wild stuff...

They say that kids tend to get their mother's father's hair... hmm. Take a good long look at Ben Skywalker. And ask just why Mara Jade inherited Siri Tachi's taste for leather catsuits...

- The Imperial Ewok

This looks like a Star Wars Sage forum or Star Wars community forum topic to me.

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Maybe it's just the fact that I'm REALLY sick with a cold right now... but in reading your thread, I seriously didn't understand a thing you said.
    No offense or anything.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    A key point to realize about the choice for Ewan Mcgreggor as a previous person to Sir Alec Guiness is that we are to realize Ben Kenobi, FAILED jedi master did not spring from the younglings full of wisdom.

This is not Gandalf and an evil Aragorn the saga of Obi Wan and Anakin

It is the saga of a man whose understanding of the world is built on having started out as a rude, arrogant, reckless young man whom gained every bit of his insight from unfortunately being exposed to the worst men had to offer

4. Nil-Spaar

Nil-Spaar Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2003
    wow, an interesting perspective to be sure!

Can't blame a man for wanting to hang about in a bar when times get tough, even if it wasn't very old jedish of him.

maybe, since he trained luke, he is kinda the first of the new jedi order? (where drinking, fraternising, marriage and all that is allowed?)

5. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    For give me thrawn if my repsonse has nothing to do with your post but I found your post somewhat confusing...

Personally I think Ewan was perfect for a young Kenobi. But I agree with you Thrawn about Bens "lifestyle" does seem a bit fitting for his character as a "Bad man trying to be good". But yet it is odd for a Jedi.

But ObiWan is awsome! as proved in the last 2 episodes of the cloneWars cartoon. ;)

Jabba

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Syntax, I think McEwok is drunk.

More than usual. ;)

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Syntax,Blithe, Trias: I was stone-cold sober, it was just very late and I couldn't sleep even though I was knackered...

Charlemagne19: It is the saga of a man whose understanding of the world is built on having started out as a rude, arrogant, reckless young man whom gained every bit of his insight from unfortunately being exposed to the worst men had to offer

That's a deeply cynical way of looking at it, I think. Anakin was always a thrill-seeking prig... however endearing that may seem in a nine-year-old... becoming Vader was good for him as a person...

Nil-Spaar: maybe, since he trained luke, he is kinda the first of the new jedi order? (where drinking, fraternising, marriage and all that is allowed?)

I like that thought... :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.