main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Ben Kenobi?! Who is he?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by There_Are_Four_Lights, Jul 4, 2014.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm sure there 's an element of that, but the statement fits in with several other things which convey the fact that in ANH, Ben is old.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  2. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Or, they could have just made Obi-Wan older in the PT. I can overlook the Ben Kenobi thing a little bit and chalk it up to Bail and Leia having been in on his alias, but his dramatic aging in 19 years (harsh conditions of Tatooine or not) is a tougher pill to swallow.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just assumed that Bail told Leia that Obi-Wan was in hiding and not using his real name.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was far too excited to care, I've never thought about it until now. Actually, I still haven't thought about it.

fett 4 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Let's think about this...
    - Obi-Wan has, in Ep IV, been waiting in the desert for 19 years. He's 63 years old (1977-1914). He's blown up a bridge over the river Quai and been in ANOTHER desert with someone named Lawrence (presumably another Jedi?). Probably beat his body to heck during those missions, too!
    - Qui-Gon, in Ep I, has probably been training pretty regularly in the Jedi Temple. He's 47 years old (1999-1952). So, 16 years younger than Obi-Wan. Other than caring for and releasing a bunch of, ummm, Wookiees (can't think of another slave-race in the GFFA, apologies) in a Republic concentration camp (certainly a worthy cause), the only adventure he's had was looking for the Holy Grail while wearing Mandalorian armor. And that last one was 18 years ago!
    I think Old Ben has reason to be a bit rickety in his last swordfight.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I don't think it's inconsistent at all. Qui-Gon in Episode I is about the same age as Obi-Wan in Episode IV, and it turns out he was also too old to be facing a Sith Lord. Yoda is an alien, and also one of the most powerful Force users alive. Count Dooku is a practitioner of the dark side who draws on the Force to make himself more agile than would otherwise be fitting or natural for a man his age.

7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't dispute any of what you say about age in SW, in universe and post ANH. In that particular film, however, Kenobi is clearly meant to be old and past his prime. Trying to find ways of saying otherwise simply draws more attention to the fact than accepting, but not focusing on, the inconsistency.

8. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Leia is a very intelligent person and a woman of action.

She is smart enough to figure out that Ben Kenobi and Obi-Wan Kenobi are most likely the same person since it makes sense for the fugitive Jedi to have partially changed his name but at the same time not completely so as to be found by Bail Organa - at the very least if not an alias, then a relative

Also, the guy who is clearly not a stormtrooper yet has infiltrated a heavily guarded Imperial space station is probably a rare chance at escape

She knows the questions can wait

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    He was also beheaded during the English Civil War. So maybe he was just a force ghost all along.

DarthIshyZ and Darth_Nub like this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Obi-Wan Kenobi was in his late 50s in ANH. Alec Guiness was in his early 60s when he portrayed the character in the movie.

I heartily disagree. Both Count Dooku and Yoda were older in the movie and quite capable of facing a skilled opponent in a lightsaber duel. Besides . . . Qui-Gon gave Maul a lot of trouble in the movie. The latter ended up resorting to a "tricky Dick" move in order to defeat Qui-Gon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I suspect that at the time at which ANH was actually made the intention was that Kenobi was considerably older than his late 50s.The dialogue of a number of characters, including Kenobi, is indicative of this.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  12. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    That's very likely...Closer to his mid 70's than 57 at least :

- "old Ben"
    - "He's just a crazy old man"
    - "I'm getting too old for this sort of things"
    - "Where did you dig up that old fossil ?" (more of a joke, ok)
    - "Your powers are weak, old man"

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

Exactly. Throw in "He's not dead. Not yet," and Tarkin's view that surely Obiwan would be dead by now, and you're looking at someone who's knocking on a bit I'd say.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "By the Force! This guy just runs in to the cell on the Death Star where I was prisoner and says he's here to rescue me but I am hesitant to go because he did not get the first name right of the dude I was looking for on Tattooine!"--Said no imprisoned Leia ever.

15. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Didn't mention that one cause it seems more ambiguous, with Vader's reply ("Don't underestimate the Force"). Could mean Obi-Wan Kenobi was powerful and clever enough to escape the search/hunt since the Empire took over.

But, yeah, added to the others, it just becomes a further hint.

Iron_lord and MOC Yak Face like this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, good point. Although, on the other hand, if Kenobi had been killed in the hunt, Tarkin and Vader would probably have been informed.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the food is good!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. Jarvis Binks

Jarvis Binks Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2014
    It's not such a leap to make from Obiwan to Ben Kenobi is it? Now, if Luke had said I'm here with "Mike Honcho", that's a different situation. To go or not to go with Mike Honcho?

19. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    I had always assumed she heard the name but simply said "who" because she couldnt believe at first that Obi Wan is really here

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or she has magical telepathy.