main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Ben Kenobi You Shall Be (repost vignette; Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda) 6/21/2009

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: Ben Kenobi You Shall Be

Summary: How Obi-Wan chose the name Ben.

Disclaimer: George Lucas created Star Wars. Star Wars, LucasFilm Ltd. and all its content are currently owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.

Author Note: this was originally written and posted in the http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/12763001/p1]Obi-Wan[/URL] Challenge Stories thread. I’d forgotten I’d even written it until someone PM’d me a reply. So, I decided to repost it.

Are you seriously considering taking another Padawan, Master?” Anakin Skywalker asked his former teacher.

Obi-Wan looked at the tall Jedi Knight standing next to him. “You needn’t call me Master anymore. You are a Jedi Knight now, and as such you should call me by my name.”

Anakin shifted his gaze back down to the floor of the training mat where the Initiate Lightsaber Tournament was taking place. “I don’t know if I can do that, Master. I’ve spent so long…it just seems strange to call you by anything other than your title.”

Obi-Wan chuckled lightly. “Perhaps my given name would be a better choice for you to use.”

“Obi-Wan isn’t your give name, Master?” Anakin asked, the new information giving him a bit of a shock.

“No. When my family gave me to the Jedi, they requested that my name be changed,” Obi-Wan quietly explained. “They were torn between wanting a better life for me and wanting to raise me themselves, despite their inability to provide much of a life at all beyond unconditional love. So, they asked that my name be changed so that there would be no chance of them ever finding out which Jedi was their son.”

Anakin had a few tears in his eyes as he listened to the story. He was a Jedi, had become a Jedi because his own mother had been willing to let him go. But he couldn’t imagine being able, or even willing to let go of his own child, the child Padme was carrying. Not even for the child to become a great Jedi.

Clearing his throat, Anakin spoke in a voice heavy with emotion. “So, what is your real name, Master?”

Obi-Wan met Anakin’s blue stare with his own. “Ben. My given name is Ben.”

Anakin pondered the name for a moment. He decided it was a strong, solid name. It was the name of a man that was brave and could be trusted and relied upon. It suited Obi-Wan to a tee. “I like it, Master. But don’t expect me to call you that either. You’ll always be Master to me.”

Obi-Wan patted his former apprentice on the shoulder as they continued to watch the tournament.

“You aren’t really considering taking another Padawan, are you Master?” Anakin repeated his earlier question.
    Obi-Wan’s laughter rang throughout the training gymnasium.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“A new name, you have chosen?” Yoda asked him as the two sat aboard Bail Organa’s ship.

“No Master, not a new name, but an old one,” Obi-Wan told him. “I’ve chosen to use my given name, the name my parents gave me upon my birth.”

A smile or what passed for a smile crossed Yoda’s wrinkled face. “Ah, Ben Kenobi you once were, and again Ben Kenobi you shall be.”

A sort of peace settled over the newly named Ben Kenobi. It felt right. His parents had gifted him with that name so long ago. He felt compelled to take it back, to give back to them what they had lost when they gave him up to the Jedi. Ben Kenobi had returned to the galaxy.

“May the Force be with you, Master Yoda,” he said quietly.

“With you as well, Ben.”

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Beautiful!=D=
    This really fits:D

3. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Beautifully written JediMaster_Jen. =D=

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :)

5. SJ_More

SJ_More Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2009
    That was a great idea! I like how you encorporated Anakin's thought into the first part as well! Very well written! Good Job! ;)

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Nice Viggi=D=

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Very nice - though hearing Yoda use "Ben" just sounded - wrong. ;)

I loved the first part, though Anakin now knows the "Ben Kenobi name."

And I really love Obi-Wan's thoughts on why he was reclaiming his birth name - the Jedi is dead, long live the man. Or something like that.

8. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    just found this story. love How Obi-Wan good his name.

9. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
  10. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    Another good story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.