main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Ben Skywalker Fan Thread!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012

Here's my theory on this. Yes, it had to do with alot of Luke fearing for Ben....especially since Ben is his only child--which yeah, he didn't seem to care in the LOTF series....I chalk that up to twisting the character's character fulfill the writing needs frankly. Secondly (but most importantly), his distrust of Vestara and all the Sith in general had a lot to do I think with Lumiya tricking him. He thought she held no malice toward him, he believed her, but obviously she manipulated either her senses or his...she did hold malice for him. And his being duped led to his wife's death...which he obviously blamed himself for alot...So, that's why I feel he's so distrustful of all Sith from now on. Is it logical...is it the way Luke would really act...probably not...but it makes sense to me given the context.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  2. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Have you read Fetkatt's Myri and Me..obviously she feels similar. . I think, he'll find someone who can challenge him, like his mother challenged his father.. I can see him seeking out a woman like that.

3. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Jedi_Lover It wasn't aimed at your post, per se, it's just what your post made me think of. I really didn't like the Temple scene of Apocalypse either... Correction, I didn't like Apocalypse ('cept for Jaina and Jag getting married, that was cool, but wait, where were the rest of the FELS, omg they couldn't even get that right, I'll stop ranting now. :rolleyes:) Vestara, Allana, Barv. The two words that stick with me from Apocalypse... goo fountains. I do not read Star Wars for Sith being described as goo fountains. So, yeah, I can agree with you on Vestara being ill-used.

EmeraldJediFire Yeah, that's it! It's not really in character for Luke, but, taking it in context for a series of OOC moments for him, it can make sense. Poor Luke's gone through so much. Poor Ben too. And what they did to Mara... Poor Skywalkers all around, really.

Myri would challenge the hell out of Ben! :D Also, looking at it from the Antilles' side of things... we all know how protective Wedge is of his girls - 'carry two blasters when you're old enough to date', anyone? - and he'd probably make things a bit tough for any boy trying to court his daughters. But if the boy is the son of an old friend of his... well, he can't really maim Ben, now can he? Although he just might still threaten too...

Sorry, is that a bit off topic?

4. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

I don't know, he might still try to hurt Ben..I don't think even Luke could stop Wedge...lol Luke's only had had one son, one child period. I don't think he'd be able to put himself in Wedge's boots completely. Dad's a pretty tough when it comes to their daughters.

5. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    I can just see Luke being very happy to be gaining a daughter, especially if it's a friend's daughter!

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Katana_Sundancer and EmeraldJediFire: If Wedge is not going gray about Myri and her adventures with the Wraiths in Mercy Kill, I really don't think sweet Ben is going to be a problem. She should put a scare into her dad though and say, "Dad I have a new boyfriend" and then bring Voort saBinring into the room. lol! Then say, "No, not him dad...Ben who's standing behind him."

Nothing against Voort. I loved him in Mercy Kill, but I doubt any human father likes the idea of his little girl dating a genetically altered Garmorrean.

The thing that I did like about Apocalypse was the Void Jumpers. Instead it being Jedi and pilots saving the day we got to see ground troops. I liked seeing realistic soldiers that don't have the Force as an ally going into the fray. That is another thing I liked about Mercy Kill. I don't think you saw a Jedi during the entire story. Also Scoundrels (I haven't finished it yet) but there is an absence of Jedi (probably because they are all dead from the purge). I just think when the writers made the Jedi so powerful they ended up needing an equally powerful enemy and that is when you get a planet of Sith, Abeloth or the Vong. I hope future novels with Ben and Luke are stand alone adventures. This way we don't need the big bad villian.

I got slammed over in Literature for saying this, but why can't we have marginal Force-user criminals? Or a gang that was put together from criminals that show some Force sensitivity. It is taking a bad element and making them a bit more dangerous. When I put out this theory I was told that would be an abomination. You can't have grey Jedi, or criminal Force users. You were Jedi or Sith. The purists are a little too enthusiastic on some of these boards.

Anyway, although I wish Myri and Ben were closer in age, I do think it could work when he gets a little older. I am sure Myri would think he is a kid right now. But when he is a grown man she might see him in a different light.

7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Sweet Ben? Are we reading about the same smart-mouthed teen?

which brings me to mind one of my fave Luke/Ben moments:
    " I got my brains from mom." Ben says
    "As well as your tendency toward verbal abuse." Luke responds

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It's all relevant. Compared to my boys he's a sweetie.

9. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Jedi_Lover I love your idea! I had a barely-started fic ages ago with a piratical squadron going around 'liberating' cargo from freighters and such - the pilots were all older teens/young adults who had some level or another of Force sensitivity. I still hold onto that plot bunny, even though I haven't been able to write the story. I don't see how any of that is an abomination. What about those people who are never picked out as being able to use the Force. Criminal or upstanding citizen, it doesn't matter. Not everyone is going to fall into the category of 'Jedi' or 'Sith'. Jedi and Sith take a great deal of training, and if you're never picked up by someone who will teach you... whatcha gonna do?

EmeraldJediFire Well, Ben's sweet compared to some.

Oh god, I have a whole list of Ben/Luke quotes. Ben is so very quotable!

10. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Very well

11. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    He's Mara's son, of course he quotable. Luckily Luke's had practice dealing with snark for 20 years so he can handle Ben's mouth for the most part.

12. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Luke likes Ben's snark... most of the time... sometimes... a bit...? Haha.

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

I believe it's a gateway to his memories of his wife. he sees alot of Mara in Ben.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am writing a fic (Diary Challenge) where the Jedi run into a Force-using criminal. He was seen a few chapters back and I am about to cover his trial.

I would think in Luke's galaxy, where Force users are not rounded up and forced to be a Jedi, having non-Jedi Force users running around would be a major problem.

15. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ben's my favorite character post-ROTJ. I'm about his age, so I can sympathize with him, and his sarcastic humor had me laughing from the beginning of FOTJ to the end. As to who he'll end up with romantically? I don't agree with Myri Antilles, personally...I'd say Seha Dorvald.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, like what Revafan1 said I also don't want Ben to end up with Myri. She's barely featured in the EU anyways. I'd say he should end up with Vestara. They were adorable with each other in Allies.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ves would be ideal, but honestly I don't know if I'd want her to come back to the Jedi. It would make them look kind of stupid to trust her (again). How many times did she betray them throughout the series? Sure, she helped some, but in the end she actually killed an experienced Jedi Knight, albeit to save Ben. Did it work? Yes. Was there another way? Probably. I did like Ben and Ves' chemistry though, but I'm not sure if they'd work out a second time. I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In the middle of Tempest and liking Ben the Detective Jedi. I don't like him being part of GAG but his storyline is good.

20. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    She was a main character in Mercy Kill. I am pretty sure Vestara burned all her bridges with the Jedi. I would like to see her again in future novels, though. The writers did a good job building up her characterization. She is a very interesting character. I can see her coming back against the Jedi with a vengeance for them screwing her over (in her eyes at least).

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    So could I I. I can see her taking it out on Ben specifically. I mean the Pool showed them as adults who knew eachother so it's definitely a possibility

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. I love the way they expounded on his investigation skills in FOTJ, and (I believe) his eidetic memory.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Detective Ben a lot! Especially in the books written by KT, I miss her. I wish she wrote Golden's entries.

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree. I love KT's books; the only thing is, with LOTF you could look at a book, and say that one's written by Karen, or that one's written by Allston. With FOTJ it is very hard to get a distinctive impression which author is which, at least for me. I like that, personally, because it means the authors were cohesive in their writing and worked together well.

Another thing is, I loved Ben's friendship with Jori and later Lon Shevu. I was very upset when Shevu did not leave the series alive, especially since he had just been married. It really, really ticked me off.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jori Lekauf and Lon Shevu are my two favorite new characters from LOTF. We needed more of them

Revanfan1 and Team Padme like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.