main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Saora_Bin, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saora_Bin

Saora_Bin Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    When and why did Obi-Wan become Ben? After he gives Luke to Owen, I presumed he just made a hut and stayed there. When and why did he become Ben?

My theory on this is because he needed to let Luke know he wasn't a Jedi. Any other suggestions?

2. Micre_Pohol16

Micre_Pohol16 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    That sounds like a good theory. I can't think of anything else. Ben maybe came from Obi-Wan, the -bi part and then the -n in Wan. But he wouldn't call himself Bin Kanobi, so he changed to Ben Kanobi...

3. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    That's a good question.. I think I agree with Saora_Bin

4. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    The line about "not being called that since before you were born" is a plot hole than, or mistake by Kenobi?

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    It's a generalization. He doesn't mean that the second Luke was born, he ceased to be Obi-Wan.

He was generally known as Obi-Wan in the years leading up to the birth of the twins.

He was generally known as Ben in the years following the birth of the twins.

6. nccjones

nccjones Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I just assumed he changed his name to Ben just to make sure there was no connection between him and Luke Skywalker. Even though they were in the Outer Rim, I think he still wanted to keep a low profile even if Vader wasn't looking for them.

I agree about the "Oh, since before you born". Basically it's true, as soon as the birth happened they went into action with the twins...so I can see him saying that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.