main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Beneath the Earth: Mysteries of the Aquatic

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Dark-Enigma, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    IC: Thorr

Thorr frowned. That was a rough story. "That is certainly understandable. I've only been killing since I was 18, so you've got two years head start on me, and I'm already tired of it. My first was when I was recon for our squad. We were in cambodia and I was 18 years old, fresh out of bootcamp. I saw an enemy soldier scouting for his squad. I asked the skip what I sould do, and he said 'engage.' I have not choice, I mean I did, but it didn't look like it. So I lined him up in my sights, and took the shot. He moved and it hit him in the leg, so I had to finish him off with my knife. The worst experiance of my life. I ruined to appeal of fighting for me for a while..."

TAG: Joe

2. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    OoC: Everyone please welcome the newest member of BtE, Eme-ma_Himou! :) I apologize for the lengthy post ahead, but I feel that all should be educated on the history of the myth of Atlantis, as this is what this story focuses on.

And now we shall commence...

[b]IC: Deuce Williams[/b]
    [i]Sacramento Department of Public Safety, Assembly Room[/i]

[blockquote]Deuce roughly adjusted the somewhat irritating collar of his uniform in mild frustration as he and Cassey were currently unable to properly prepare the rebellious slide projector. But soon, after a couple twists, turns, and bangs of the projector's internal tools, the fan began to blow and the projector was activated.

"That was a little more difficult that I had predicted," Deuce said as he flashed a grin.

[i]"Perhaps we should get started with the speech now,"[/i] Cassey advised her Captain.

"Great minds think alike." Deuce adjusted his collar, more gingerly than the previous time, and stepped up towards the podium where a single microphone stood, waiting for his voice to enter it, his black, shined boots emitting soft echoes. He noticed many conversations occurring, and some mutual attractions commencing. He liked that the agents were getting familiar with each other, and was confident that they were aware enough of each other that he could begin speech. After all, there would be more time for conversation shortly. He tapped the microphone softly, making sure that it was working correctly, unlike the slide projector a few minutes earlier. All was well as the soft taps emitted from the speakers throughout the prodigious room, and conversations fell to a halt as all eyes fell upon Deuce.

"Good evening," he began, his voice steady as a train and sharp as a razor. "I am Deuce Williams, your commanding officer of this mission. Standing beside me is my Lieutenant Cassey Walker who will be assisting me in keeping all of you misfits in line." He flashed a humorous simper as the crowd let out a soft laugh. "I am not very talented in humor I know, but thanks for making me feel better. Anyway, I am honored that you all arrived safely here today, and I surmise from your presence that you are prepared to embark on this mission.

"What you can expect from this mission is, well, unknown. We cannot predict anything as the enigmas of the abyss of water beneath the ocean still cause confusion throughout the genius minds of a myriad of scientists and oceanographers throughout the world. But what we can guarantee you," Deuce nodded to Cassey as she inserted a slide into the projector, "is that you will be travelling in luxury and safety." He noticed some eyes widen in the crowd as an immense ship appeared on the slide projector. Its exterior was a dark brown metal surface, comprised of visible weapons systems and headlights that were brighter than any lights on any vehicle in the history of modern technology. On the front was a large, golden-tinted, spherical viewport that revealed some hints about the interior of the ship - it was indeed luxurious. "Now that you have seen what you will be living in for... the next while, it is time that you are educated on the mission.

"The story of the lost continent of Atlantis starts in 355 B.C. with the Greek philosopher Plato. Plato had planned to write a trilogy of books discussing the nature of man, the creation of the world, and the story of Atlantis, as well as other subjects. Only the first book was ever completed. The second book was abandoned part way through, and the final book was never even started.

Plato used a series of dialogues to express his ideas. In this type of writing, the author's thoughts are explored in a series of arguments and debates between various characters in the story. Plato often used real people in his dialogues, such as his teacher, Socrates, but the words he gave them were his own.

A character named Kritias tells an account of Atlantis that has been in his family for generations. According the character the story was originally told to his ancestor Solon, by a

3. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    IC: Joe

Joe reached into his jacket at the mention of no weapons. He wrapped his hands around the grip of the pistol, but released it. He turned to Thorr. "Atlantis, huh? That's an interesting theory...it could be aliens," Joe said with a grin. "What do you think?"

TAG: Thorr

4. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    OOC: Why, thank you for the introduction, Enigma! :D

Name: Matt Emery (Goes just by Emery)
    Area of Expertise: Marine Biology/ Marine Ecology/ Paleoecology/ Atlantology (including Greek Mythology)
    Appearance: Emery has medium length blonde hair, green eyes, a 6'1" height, and is very skinny. His mediumly muscular figure is well kept as he is an avid runner and swimmer.
    Short bio:
    Since the age of 3, Emery was smitten with the Monterey Bay Aquarium, taking in its wonder every time he went. The summer after his Freshman year in High School, he went to the Galapagos Islands, where he studied Sea Lion culture, and the summer after Junior year, he went to Costa Rica and worked with Grad students.

Double Majoring in Marine Bio and Poli Sci, Emery drew from his college experience a knowledge of all kinds of Ecology, including Maritime and Prehistoric.

With his passion of the deep combined with his love for history, Emery grew on the whole Atlantis myth. Having visited the resort bearing the same name, he enjoyed the tropics and atmosphere of Nassau. Going to the Atlantis Resort was a breath-taking experience for an aspiring Marine Biologist, who loved his little side passion of myths. Though he was never taught in a classroom, Emery knew his way around the Study of Atlantology and Greek Mythology. If you were to check his bedside table, the published essay, The Destruction of Atlantis, would be on it.

Since his graduation, he has been traveling the coasts of Central and South America, studying marine life including sharks and sea turtles. But he would not pass up the opportunity to scope out the nearest Aztec, Mayan, or Incan temple.

IC: Emery

It was a very short flight from San Jose to Sacramento, and Matt Emery was nearly there on time.

Of the messages in that VHS, one sentence really struck Emery. [i]Not built by human hands[/i]...

The man in charge quieted the group of chatting folks down and commenced with his speach.

As Williams spoke, Emery began to understand why he was needed. They weren't just searching for some artifact... they were searching for Atlantis.

But... this didn't surprise the Marine Biologist. In his heart, he somewhat expected. And in his bag as well, as Matt carried with him a necklace. Upon the leather strap hung a coin that Emery had bought in a small bazaar outside of Puerto Limon. It was made of pure copper and had engraved on one side a dolphin, on the reverse a horse. It's age made it look worn and off color, but the shopkeeper told him that it was indeed copper.

Matt Emery listened as Williams spoke of the Atlantean "myth" and told of Plato's [i]Dialogues[/i]; everything Matt had studied before. In his spare time, Emery was quite the Atlantologist. He was no stranger to these theories, but when Williams revealed that Plato was off, and that the possible location of Atlantis was in the Pacific of all places, Emery was shocked.

When others were unhappy with the no weapons rule, Emery was somewhat overjoyed: he hadn't brought anything to [i]fight[/i], only to study the underwater life (as he had been lead on to believe). Only things in his pack were his camera, wetsuit, fins, and goggles. He figured that the California government would supply the tanks.

Coming late, Emery felt much like an outcast and held back from the rest of the crowd. If he had the chance, he would be overjoyed to talk to Williams about his organization's discovery of the 'Pacific Theory.'

Plucking up the courage, Emery went up to Williams, "So, Mr. Williams, how [i]exactly[/i] did you find out about this 'Pacific Theory'?"

TAG: Williams

5. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    IC: Deuce Williams
    Sacramento Department of Public Safety, Assembly Room

As Deuce waited for any questions that his assembled audience of many skills may have had, he was mildly surprised to find one of them who did not wish to raise his hand, but to approach Deuce and speak with him face to face. Deuce had no issues with this, on the contrary. He favored one who liked to speak with another in person.

"How can I help you my friend?" Deuce asked stepping away from the podium and finding himself looking at a tall and rather skinny man. If his retentive memory served him correctly, this man was none other than Matt Emery.

"So, Mr. Williams, how exactly did you find out about this 'Pacific Theory'?"

"Ah, Mister Emery, as much as I would like to take credit, I simply cannot. My Lieutenant here, Miss Cassey Walker, using her definitive translation skills found on the large object that we discovered Atlantean writing, albeit it was very small. Looking through a magnifying glass, she discovered that, contrary to the beliefs of scientists and oceanographers throughout this enigmatic world, the continent of Atlantis does not lie beneath the lands of Iceland. You see, on this object, scientists made a very minor miscalculation. One of the world's greatest translators concluded that the writing on the object spoke of the country Iceland. But after perusing this writing countless times, Miss Walker found that the continent of Atlantis rests not below Iceland, but indeed Alaska. So why start searching beneath California if Alaska is so far North? Well, this writing was apt to be written nigh ten thousand years ago. Since then, there have been shifts in the tectonic plates that glue this world together, hence the altering of the locations of land masses. Due to Atlantis' deep location, we believe that it was highly affected by these tectonic shifts, and therefore it has ended up beneath the very ground we walk on. Interesting, no?" Deuce flashed a genial smile to Emery, and found that his lungs were quite fatigued. Speeches like that will do that to a man.

Tag: Eme-ma_Himou, others

6. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    IC:

Rain had looked away when another man came up. She gave the 'I'm going to be shy again' smile and eyes to Marcus before turning away.

Once the commanding officer started talking she was all ears. Tomorrow the real adventure would begin.

TAG-Marcus/ppl for 2morrow

7. Eme-ma_Himou

Aug 29, 2004

As Matt listened to Deuce explain how they discovered the supposed location underneath California, he couldn't help but be awed. This endeavor was fueled through passion, passion to prove the history books wrong.

And Mr. Williams surrounded himself with the right people, Emery noted, as he learned of the esteemed Miss Walker's skills.

"Thank you, both of you, for inviting me on this expedition. For over twenty years now, I have been fascinated with this concept of Atlantis, and has fueled my love for the Oceans. I too have been looked down upon for my beliefs, but I do get a little touchy when people refer to the 'aliens' theory. In your tape, you say you found non-human markings on the artifact. Is this true?"

TAG: Deuce Williams, Cassey Walker

8. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    IC as Cassey Walker

Cassey stood silent, next to Deuce who answered all the questions, her hands clasped behind her back all the while and her blue eyes scanning the crowd to see who would stay and ask curious questions about their mission to find Atlantis. One man came up to Deuce while he was answering a question.

"In your tape, you say you found non-human markings on the artifact. Is this true?"

Cassey decided to answer this question, allowing Deuce time to answer other questions that poured down on them both.

"It is true, yes. The markings indicate intelligence of some form, but they look like they weren't made by humans. The curvature and depth of them, do not seem possible to be made by human life... and that is why any theory is possible. We do not know or cannot guess who could possibly make these intriuging symbols and markings... and that is only part of the reason we are undertaking this mission to find Atlantis."

Cassey looked at the man through her black thin glasses.

Tag: Emery and Deuce

9. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005

Thorr's mind started racing when the 'no weapons' mentin was made. If they didn't want weapons, what was he here for? Fighting was prettty much all he was good for these days...

"What do you think?"

"I think that it is a big ocean, and I don't know if we are going to find it. But if we do, I will be pretty stoked. The part that gets me is, if they don't want weapons, why would they bring us here? Thats pretty much all were good for..."

TAG: Joe

10. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    IC: Marcus

Marcus was reluctant to see Rain look away as the speech started, but he soon found that his attention too was grappled by the speaker. When it was done, he leaned back, thinking and becoming distant, disconected from everything. HIs thoughts roamed over the data he had just heard. COuld it be true? Miscalculations and mistranslations had been known to happen. That was no surprise. The theory, which he had yet to hear before, was very convincing and very intriguing. HIs thoughts continued to roam.

TAG: Any

11. -Jeb-

-Jeb- Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2006
    Eric G. Winston
    Meeting Seminar, Auditorium

Before Eric knew it, the speech had begun. He looked over, scratching the small five-o'clock shadow forming over his lips and jaw. Scanning the large area for a quick seat, he took one and made himself comfortable, re-adjusting his jacket so that it didn't ride up when he sat...

=======

After the speech was over, Eric took a deep breath, placing the Dodger's cap back on his head. He let the other's ask their questions, as he knew that chances were that whatever questions he might've had, which were very few, would be answered.

TAG: All.

12. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    OOC: GM NOTE: Once all current IC conversations have come to a close, and any questions that the characters may have had have been answered, a time jump to the next day will take place. Until then, carry on. :)

BTW, nice answer spacelady. :)

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Aleksei

Aleksei was about to say something to the man, Marcus, when the speaker caught his attention. A long speech ensued, and Aleksei was, for the moment, tempted to believe him. Atlantis, if it indeed exsisted, could be beneath the Earth itself. And that was a very big if.

Tectonic activity could easily explain away it's mysterious dissappearance, but it also conveniently explained away many other "facts". The myth that Atlantis was swallowed by the oceans was explained by tectonic activity was easily solved this way. An earthquake could trigger a tsunami, true, but a tsunami would destroy everything in it's path. There would be few ruins left.

And anyways, Atlantis had sunk. An earthquake could not do that to a city without destroying it. If Atlantis existed, aeons ago, it was gone by now. Thinking it still dwelt beneath the waves was ignorant and wrong.

Tag: All

14. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005

"No weapons got me too," Joe said. "They might give us weapons that they issue...Anyways, I'm probably here because I know a lot about demolitions. If there are ruins, they'll need some explosives. One of my other specialties is seismology, so I want to find out if that earthquake theory could have actually happened." Joe smiled. "I also know something about hydrology, so I'm covered there." Joe glanced at the clock on the wall. "Whoa, I should be getting back. I'm definetly in on this trip, so I need some rest. It was nice talking to you, Thorr. Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow." Joe nodded at Thorr and walked out of the conference room.

15. Eme-ma_Himou

Aug 29, 2004

Emery was caught up in Williams' beautiful Lieutenent's explanation. He might not have liked it, but he had to admit: she made sense.

"Thank you for your time, both of you," Matt said as he shook their hands, "But I feel I must get my rest if we are to begin our jaunt tomorrow."

TAG: Deuce, Cassey

16. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    IC as Cassey Walker

Cassey shook the man's hand who had come up to Deuce and herself, the man she still didn't know the name to... but she really didn't know any other name, besides a few crew members here and there on the ship and Deuce, partly because she was recently new to Deuce's little group.

Cassey smiled at the man, quickly tossing another annoying curl back over her shoulder and then clasped her hands behind her back once more.

"It was a pleasure answering your question, if you have any further inquiries tomorrow, please feel free to ask them. I look forward to seeing you on the ship." She smiled gently once more and then scanned the small crowd near Deuce and herself, looking for some questions to answer.

Personally, Cassey very much enjoyed the people who believed in Atlantis and who were genuinely interested in it. She had noticed that a lot of guys tried to pretend to like Atlantis and know all about it, just to go out with her, but that didn't last long. She mentally laughed at the thought. Figuring out Atlantis and symbols were her top priorities and main interests. Too bad those guys didn't know that though. She chuckled again and centered her thoughts back to the questions that were being asked by the curious crowd.

Tag: Emery, Deuce, and All

17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005

After he said a word of goodbye to Joe, Thorr made his way over to the guy who seemed to be in charge, and his beautiful assistant.

"Hello, I'm Thorr. I'm the ex-marine, current history teacher. I was wondering, you said that no weapons would be allowed, but that is pretty much the only expertise I could offer this expidition. Do you know the reason why they choose me? By the way, I am really looking foward to this. I don't know enough about the lost city to have an oppinion on weather I think it exists or not, but I am eager to learn..."

TAG: Casey, Deuce, any

18. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005

Joe reached into his pocket, groaned, and turned around. He forgot his wallet! Entering the conference room, he looked at where he was sitting. No wallet. This was strange. Joe walked over to Thorr, who was in the middle of a converstaion. Being slightly polite, he decided to wait until they were done.

19. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006

Deuce smiled as he shook Emery's hand. "Thank you for your time, both of you, but I feel I must get my rest if we are to begin our jaunt tomorrow."

"A judicious decision," Deuce said. After Cassey's statement, Deuce implied, "We are honored to have you on board."

Deuce awaited more questions at the podium. It seemed these people didn't favor the ability of simply raising their hands, but instead approaching the Captain and Lieutenant themselves. But as he saw one man introduce himself to Cassey and another wait for their conversation to halt, he wondered if they were aware of Deuce's presence. He overheard a question the he concluded Cassey may not have known.

"Hello, I'm Thorr. I'm the ex-marine, current history teacher. I was wondering, you said that no weapons would be allowed, but that is pretty much the only expertise I could offer this expidition. Do you know the reason why they choose me? By the way, I am really looking foward to this. I don't know enough about the lost city to have an oppinion on weather I think it exists or not, but I am eager to learn..."

"Good evening, Thorr," Deuce smiled. "Our weapons restriction is a safety precaution, as some of these men, despite their skills, can get pretty reckless when it comes to ammunitions. But worry not, my friend, for if such a need arises, we have s surplus of weapons that do indeed serve their wielders well."

Tag: MASTERPRENN, spacelady, others

20. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005

Joe cleared his throat. "Uh, Thorr? You didn't happen to see my wallet, did you?"

21. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005

Thorr looked at Deuce. "Alright, thanks."

He then turned to Joe.

"No Joe, I havn't seen your wallet. I can help you look if you want..."

TAG: Deuce, Joe

22. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005

"I just can't fathom where it could have gone." Seeing Williams unoccupied, Joe said to Thorr, "Hold on a second." Turning to Williams, he began, "Mr. Williams, I work with demolitions. I assume you are providing the explosives, correct?"

TAG: Deuce

23. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006

"Alright, thanks," Thorr told Deuce, expressing gratitude. Deuce smiled and converged his hands behind his well defined back.

"No problem," he said in his usual deep voice. "It is an honor to have you on board."

As Thorr walked away, another man approached. Deuce recognized the man as the one who shared his last name - Joe Williams. "Hello, Mister Williams, how can I help you?" He couldn't help but notice he sounded like a Burger King attendant.

"Mr. Williams, I work with demolitions. I assume you are providing the explosives, correct?"

Deuce nodded. "Correct. We will be supplying the necessary equipment for this mission, including dynamite. You never know what could happen down there." He winked and smiled as he awaited a response.

Tag: agap_afima, others

24. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    IC: Marcus

this whole no weapon thing bugged Marcus. He was fond of his swords and knives. He didn't want to do anything without them> He had had them for years. Dazed and distracted, MArcus stood and left the auditorium, regardless of the others. He got in a cab, and thought about ti all the way back to his hotel. Whne he arrived, he got out, paid the cab driver, and went up to his room, going to bed almost instantly,. He was tired.

TAG: None, any, whatever.

25. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005

"Just dynamite? I was hoping for some C4 or TNT, maybe some ANFO slurry."

TAG: Deuce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.