main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Benefits of waiting in line, now.

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi

Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    Question for you all(and especially those in charge of the line). Since it seems the management at the Cinemark Legacy pretty much said the heck to all of you who have been waiting in line by allowing everyone else to buy tickets online, what use is the line for now, to decide who gets into the theater first??? I must say that I really don't trust that theater management will honor the commitment of those of you who have been faithfully waiting in line so far. I feel confident that I can buy a ticket right now (not sold out yet as of 2:30 PM) and pretty much show up a few hours before the midnight showing and get a good seat. Until I get 100% assurance that:
    1)The 12:01 AM showing will be on DLP
    2)Theater management will honor those waiting in line now to get into the theater first
    I won't spend any time with you all in line. I will however consider stopping by and making a donation. Sorry folks, I would love to wait in line with you all but my time is very valuable to me to not have any gaurantees. I have a wife, newborn girl, and a demanding job. It would pretty much suck to log time in line only to sit with my neck craned all the way back to see the movie. Looks like all talks with management as far as getting answers have been shot down. What are your opinions?
    Thanks!

MTFBWY, A

jedi.master@charter.net

2. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 1999
    1.) 3 years ago we had about 20 to 30 folks in line for a month..up until the PREMIERE day of the film. By the time the doors opened at midnight there were hundreds and hundreds wrapped around the theater. We were the first in. Plain and simple.

2.) News outlets are reporting that the place to be for E2 is the Legacy because of the DLP. It could be even more of a circus this time.

3.) Yea, it seems like there was some miscommunication on the tickets, but the OFFICIAL line for E2 regardless if DFWFF is there has already been started by the theater management. There will be a banner/sign going up next week..I think..that says THE LINE STARTS here that the Cinemark management will be putting up in conjunction with DFWFF. So, they've already started the official line. Anyone at this point - even if they don't belong to this club - can stand in that line. The problem for that individual would be that about 10 or so club members are already there in shifts. So showing up the day of the film and not standing in line might get you in the nosebleeds. Not cool

4.)If you don't like this, go see it at the CRAP, I mean GRAND.

3. Ted_Striker

Ted_Striker Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2002
    Not to mention there is a rumor that there will be at least one extra scene on the DLP. While i dont have the time to get out there this week, i will probably get out there a couple of days before.

4. Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi

May 2, 2002
    I understand that Legacy is "the place" to watch EP2 but it is un-official. Fine that a sign will be going up next week commerorating both Dallas and FW lines but until the officially announce that DLP will be used at the midnight show it really isn't the place to be. DLP is really the only thing separating the Legacy theater among the others.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    True, its an educated gamble but it would be shocking if they don't show it on DLP (even as dumb as they've been so far).
    They definitely screwed over DFWFF by not giving so much as a warning.

Anyway, the point of the line is to hang out with fellow fans. I've only gotten to go a few times myself but have really enjoyed it when I did.

P.s. They BETTER show it digitally!

6. f1ct10n

f1ct10n Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    You guys worked out some arrangement, as to where FanForce people get in first?

I was just up there, and no one was waiting in line. So even if I sat down now, and you guys came after me, you would get in first, because you spoke with the management?

I hope I am misunderstanding this. Isn't the fairest thing, first come first serve? You get in to the theater in the order you arrived. Cutting, saving spots for a bunch of people (1 or 2 is ok, but anything more is insane).

7. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    The management has confirmed that we will control the line for the 12:01am showing. Not to mention we also already have a large chunk of the tickets.

I really don't understand why you guys are even thinking about going to a different theater. I'm going to be at the Legacy on 12:01. I'd rather have the chance (%99) to see it in DLP then no chance at all. We just got back from C2 and saw a ton of DLP footage from AOTC. I was watching the only way I want to see movies from this point on. You guys want to watch the best movie ever made on a crappy, grainy, static ridden screen...go right ahead.

:cool:

8. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    How the order of the people in line will be determined is by our log-in book. When someone comes up to the theater, they sign in, and sign out when they leave. And at the end of the line, we add up everyone's hours and the people with the most hours get in the front of the line. As you can see, it's very fair and everyone gets exactly what they worked for. If you never come out there and wait, then you will get poorer seats. If you sacrifice a little and do the time, then you will get better seats.

And yes, we do have an arrangement with the theater about this.

9. Vijay

Vijay Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    The management has confirmed that we will control the line for the 12:01am showing. Not to mention we also already have a large chunk of the tickets.

So someone like myself (who is not officially a member), shows up at 10:00 PM the day of the showing, would have to wait in some "non-member line" while "members" can show up 5 minutes before and get in front of me? Sure this may be the extreme case, but when can I show up and guarantee that large groups of people won't cut in front of me? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I want to know right now if I should just request a refund (because sitting in the front row would be painful).

Edit: Sounds like the answer is yes, but from a practical standpoint, I presume the first person in line can reserve X contiguous seats (or an entire row) when he/she sits down to be taken up by all their friends, who may not have waiting in line as long as they did. If that is not the case, you'd have to split up large groups... My only request is that you set a cutoff time (say 10 or 11 PM) where it does become first-come, first served.

Just my $.02.

10. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    How the order of the people in line will be determined is by our log-in book. When someone comes up to the theater, they sign in, and sign out when they leave. And at the end of the line, we add up everyone's hours and the people with the most hours get in the front of the line. As you can see, it's very fair and everyone gets exactly what they worked for. If you never come out there and wait, then you will get poorer seats. If you sacrifice a little and do the time, then you will get better seats.

And yes, we do have an arrangement with the theater about this.

11. Whatsabongo

Whatsabongo Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    The reason I'm going to the Galaxy 10 is for the WED. 12:01 am showing... :^)

I'll think about 'cha in line while I'm waiting for the movie to start.

12. Get_A_Life

Get_A_Life Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    A friend sent this link to me to read the scoop on going to see the movie since I ordered tickets online (my time is worth more that the time it would have taken to stand outside the theater).

I have a question. Do you people have lives? A job? A girlfriend?

To the people who are standing in line in advance to see the movie, more power to you. Maybe if I didnt have a life to attend to, I would have stood in line too. Of course then maybe I would have had to join the band in high school also.

All I have to say is that if I show up very early to watch the film, and some huge group of people come walking up to cut in line ahead of me because they "logged time" in some damn book, I will be pissed. If you have been at the theater waiting in line that night, sure you deserve to be ahead of me. But for any large group of people who had their spots saved by one of their other geeky friends, not cool!

First come, first serve - that's the American Way!

13. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    There is no 12:01am WED showing at the Galaxy or anywhere else... Regardless of what is printed on the ticket. Call the theater and check with them. LucasFilm Ltd has set the opening date to Thursday, May 16th. And this is on a "world-wide release", nut just USA. The earliest theaters are allowed to show the film on that date is 12:01am.

Your ticket for the Galaxy is just a misprint, due to either human or computer error. But you are welcome to show up for a Wed showing and sit there for another 24hrs.

14. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    First, yes... to your questions. Most of us do have lives, wives, and jobs. That is why there is the need for the log book. This is an interest and hobby of ours that we greatly enjoy. At least we are secure enough in our lives and passions to live up to our own convictions. Obviously you are not and choose to try and degrade other's identities in an apparent lack of your own self worth. You really should not blame others for your own short-comings.

Second, to reiterate, we do have an agreement with the theater that allows us to use the methods we have designed (our log book, etc) to conduct our line as we see fit. We also have control of the line outside of the theater. Don't worry, I think most of our group will be there all day on Wed, long before you, but just in case, there may be a few that will be coming up to the beginning of the line in front of you. If this is not acceptable to you, by all means you are entitled to a refund of your ticket. The theater will gladly re-sell your seat to someone else who is willing to not make waves in a situation that could quickly get out of hand.

See you on May 16th!!

15. Get_A_Life

Get_A_Life Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    I do know my own self-worth thank you very much. It is worth enough to know that my time is more valuable then to camp out for a week just to see a movie. I would like to see it the first day, but it is not going to kill me to have to wait until the weekend.

And if you took my comments as degrading, then maybe it is not me putting someone down that bothers you, but it is you who realize down deep inside that my comments are probably true.

I'll bring the popcorn!

16. Vijay

Vijay Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    I agree that there must be some degree of fairness to all involved. I disagree with "Get_A_Life" in that I don't take any of this personally, but at the same time I really don't want to sit in the front row if I show up 2 hours early. Before I decide to get a refund, do you have any idea how many members have logged time so far or how many total members are out there?

Thanks in advance!

17. Brand-X

Brand-X Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    "First come, first serve - that's the American Way!"

-Ummm... yeah, exactly! First-come-first-served is the right way to go and you know what? For alot of guys "first come" was like a month ago!
    -I too have a "life" but I have found time on several evenings to come hang out at the line. Ask yourself how many hours a week you spend watching TV, playing video games, watching DVDs, etc... honestly most peeps on this list spend alot of time doing all of the above so hanging out at the line really only cuts into THAT time, not work or "family" time. I've actually got alot of reading done while hangin out in my comfy lawn chair at the line.
    -There are few things funnier than watching Stone yell at hecklers.

peace,
    Brand-X

18. Shy_Gon_Jin

Shy_Gon_Jin Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2001
    Can interject a notion here? And I don't mean to be didactic or facecious in anyway. My old uncle Morty used to say the key to life is Acceptance, Forgiveness, and Love. Forgive us Mr Get A Life. All we are trying to do is have fun. And we have had much fun while waiting in line. Accept us. We are not doing this to affend you as it seems we have. Again, we are just having a good time. It's has nothing to do with what you do, or what you think we should be doing. WE'RE JUST HAVING SOME FUN. Love us. Ummm. Well you know. It's like John Lennon said, "Love is all you need." Take some advice from that Cow and "Eat more Chikin" and while you're at it "Have more fun"

Dennis

19. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    The Legacy has given us full power over the line up. How many ways do we have to say this? If you wait until a few hours before the show, and expect to get a prime seat, your fooling yourself.

THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE LINE UP IS TO HAVE FUN AND GET THE BEST SEAT.

The Legacy management hasn't said "to heck with us". The theater manager sent us a personal email the day before tickets went on sale informing us about the on-line sale. Most of us were at C2, so we bought tickets on-line. There was no deception by Cinemark in any way.

If you want to bitch about "first come, first serve", go right ahead. We were here first. I'm not camping out and waiting in line for my health. You very welcome to join us by lining up. We haven't stopped anyone from joining the line. I saved up 3 weeks of vacation for this. Do you think it's fair that we wait for weeks in order to get tickets and a good seat just to have some one show up 2 hours before the show and just walk in? The theater management agrees with us and is our pertner in line control. All you have to do is join us in the line. The line will be back up in full force tomorrow.

Join us.

20. Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi

May 2, 2002
    First of all let me start off by saying that I would be right there with the rest of the Fanforce midnight show crew if my brother was coming in time for the first midnight show, but alas his flight from Mexico City doesn't arrive until that Friday so we purchased tickets for Saturday.
    I respect the people who have been waiting in line and I agree that "first come, first serve" means bringing your butt up to the line and logging in time, even it means an hour or two. If you don't have time to go up there and participate, even if it is a few minutes or so then tough. HOWEVER, Unless this "agreement" is indeed in writing, you Fanforce guys are in for a fight for the first midnight showing (mainly from people like Get_A_Life). My suggestion is that you all have someone from management out there monitoring the line a few hours before the midnight screening and make sure they tell everyone that Fanforce people get in first and fully explain why they get that privelege. If you all do not do this you may be in for a royal mess before and during the movie.

p.s. If I'm not mistaken isn't the line also benefiting a local charity ?? I would say anyone who contributes to this charity by becoming part of the Fanforce line is more than entitled to choice seats.

Wish I could be there with ya
    MTFBWY

jedi.master@charter.net

21. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Our time in line is our donation to the charity. Also alot of members have dug deep and donated themselves, without asking for any kind of 'credit' for their money donated.

I dont see how us already spending time at the line, dosent count in some peoples eyes.

Some people have already slept for more than one night out their, and as Jeff said, its not for our health!

EVERYONE, feel free, to come by for a few hours every once in a while, you dont have to stay all night, or even quit your job, to sit in line, and just a few hours spent in line could mean the difference between decent seats, and the front row. We arent eletist, nor total geeks (well only in the SW way)All we want to do is have fun with people with like intrests.

Also, even if we hadnt been here all month, if you show up at 10pm to get in line, you would find 90% of us already there, so that argument is moot ;)

Just MY $.02 :p

22. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    We, and others in line, get that "honor" because we are helping them, and My Guardian Angel (part of the a.k.a. "fun") raise money and press coverage. The theater is our partner to make this a fun experience for everyone. This means making it fair for those who have tickets to the 12:01 show. All movie theaters are "first come, first serve", and this includes waiting for seats. If you have tickets, you wait in line behind those who were there first. I'm not trying to fight you about this, dude. This is the way the Cinemark, and all theaters, handle their patrons. Ask them, they'll tell you the same thing. The line for seats has begun outside, will move into the lobby just before the show, then into the theater. We aren't trying to dominate the line up as a fan club, Cinemark has told us, since we voluntered, we can manage the line until we enter the theater house. Simple as that.

23. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Vjay, I believe there is only like 20-30 right now that have logged time in.

But that number will increase as we get closer.

9days, 8hours, 14min, 10 sec...

24. Obi-Wanna-be-Kennobi

May 2, 2002
    Does anyone else agree that Jedi_Jarvis's icon looks a little like Richard Dreyfuss??

25. Shy_Gon_Jin

Shy_Gon_Jin Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2001
    No, I think he looks like the guy who does Donald Ducks voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.