main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Benella Index and Discussion Thread-- NEW HOLIDAY CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Benella, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    I personally liked Sacrifice. I liked Ben and Mara's plot the best. Heck, I hate Mandolorians, and even they were intresting in this book! This book is the second best Star Wars book to me! It only is beaten by Dark Rendevouz!

In another idea, I hope the next book comes out as well as Sacrifice. I personally like only Exile and Sacrifice in the series so far, and now, maybe the series is what is was supposed to be. Good!

Well, we at least know Ben is in Fury!

(Honestly, the first three books were horrible!)

2. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    Sacrifice was my favourite Legacy Book so far, although it is sad and i find my self absent mindedly stroking my Zhan collection longingly, i miss Mara :_| ....

I do hope that we get to see the Horn children come through, it will really help for a 'canon' interpretation of them. Might help my insecutities about how to describe them.

I just hope that they don't mess up her character like Jaina's in NJO.

PHGS Weyr

3. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    it'd be hard to mess up her character when they've yet to define her character...

4. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    i'm sure we all have an idea in our head of what we expect her to be like personally i see her as very much her mothers daughter...

5. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    this thread needs a bump, and a new topic maybe?

6. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    Sorry I've vanished from this thread for a while, stupid considering I set out the last topic... [face_blush]

Anyway...
    I agree with FL, I loved Sacrifice. Especially Ben and Mara's storyline and focus on their relationship. I enjoyed it, despite the series' very dark turn and arch into more sinister depths.

I'm dying to see if and when the Horn kids are introduced! I just know they won't disappoint.

As for Ben, I think he's going to obviously have some issues with anger and grief, but he'll be very mature for his age, or at least I hope he'll be mature. His father has understandably kinda fell apart and Ben will ultimately feel the need to be strong for his father, thereby having to control and be mature with his emotions. Still there's nothing to say Ben won't lose it too...

So we need another topic?

Any takers?

Here's a question I've had running in my head for a while now:

> Do you think Ben will eventually become the Grand Master of the Jedi? There's no law that states that its his duty, but most reckon its his heritage. Skywalkers seem destined to lead.. but what do you all think?

7. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Here's a question I've had running in my head for a while now:

> Do you think Ben will eventually become the Grand Master of the Jedi? There's no law that states that its his duty, but most reckon its his heritage. Skywalkers seem destined to lead.. but what do you all think?

I, in my opinion, hate that idea. It's too simple. I would like if Ben left the Jedi order to do something else.

He could go help Han and Leia!

Or he could go off on his own! He is Mara's son, and could pull it off!:)

8. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    I agree G_Anakin, I'm not keen on Ben becoming Grand Master. I think you're right its too simple. Its not that he wouldn't do well, its just I think he could do so much more..

I've had Ben in past stories take up the possibility of Grand Master, but I truthfully can't see him like that. But maybe that's because he's so relatively young right now, we don't know how he'll grow and mature into what-type of man....

For me, it depends if he's like his father when he's older... it'll suit him if he's like Luke. But that's why I reckon it probably won't suit him being Grand Master, he's more Mara than Luke...

9. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
  10. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    hmm the Thread is dropping...

I don't know if Ben will be Grand Master, it probably going to happen particuarly with the profic obsession with destiny and the legacy of the Chosen One.

I think that the post of Grand Master should die with Luke and they should return to a more Old Rep Jedi Council, that was Luke's intention during DNT the only problem was that the Jedi called his bluff.

As for destined to Lead, I think that is inevitable that Jaina and Ben are the two to take down Jacen, we've still got several books to go though...

11. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005

Very true, its not over yet, I just hope there's a few twists in the plot to come.. predictable stuff is not what I wanna read.o_O As I'm sure many people agree with...

Ben and Jaina have plenty of time to kick ***!:D Can't wait!

# Edited...

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I haven't read Sacrifice, but huh?

13. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    Wooo!!! My mistake! [face_laugh] I'll go back and edit! Its meant to say 'kick'! Lol...

14. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    lol. I hated Sacrifice. Grrrrrrr. I hope that Ben kicks Jacen's butt and then some. He deserves to die, that twisted evil jerk! I mean Mara wasn't my favorite...but....Why?????

15. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    Sacrifice was cool though even if they did kill Mara :_|

I'm really looking forward to Inferno. I hope that some incredibly bizarre twist occurs like for instance some of Jedi leaving to join Corellia...

PHGS Weyr

16. Benella

Benella Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2006
    Thanks folks for keeping this alive....

I indexed these four fics: If you haven't done so check them out. They are all awesome reads.

I Want to be Your Knight
    Author: Kidan
    TimeFrame: a few years after the events of LotF
    Keywords: Benella, Seha Dorvald, Ben Skywalker, Jysella Horn
    Notes: Well, it's been a bit of time since I last put up a 'fic featuring Ben & Jysella, and that it had been even longer since my last 1st person 'fic, and so I have decided to break my personal rule about posting unfinished fics and well, am going to start posting this.

Redemtion of the Heart
    Author: PHGS_Weyr
    Timeframe:LOTF
    Keywords: Benella, Jahiri, AU
    Summary: Bens a Sith its up to Jysella to bring him to the light and defeat the Sith. Rather angsty at the moment...

It Never Hurts To Ask
    Author: PHGS Weyr
    Timeframe: Post Legacy (it never happened)
    Keywords: Benella/ Jahiri
    Summary: Jysella's in Love, so's Ben they're both idiots

When You Walk Away
    Author: SITH_MAYO
    Timeframe: post-Legacy era (AU)
    Keywords: mush
    Summary: (Benella viggie of romance/angst.) Parting is bittersweet, as our heroes discover?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    REMEMBER TO HIGHLIGHT ANY SPOILERS!

I also have two separate discussion topics:

#1: What did you think of Inferno? Particularly Ben's role in it.

#2: This came up over on the Lit Board and I discovered something that doesn't really make sense to me. And I thought it would make a great discussion topic. The question is--How old is Jysella? Originally, over on Wookieepedia her age had been placed at 23 ABY. But recently her age has been dropped to year 15. Which for me makes no sense. What do you think?

FL @};-

17. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I'm going to vent on #2 first....:p

#2: This came up over on the Lit Board and I discovered something that doesn't really make sense to me. And I thought it would make a great discussion topic. The question is--How old is Jysella? Originally, over on Wookieepedia her age had been placed at 23 ABY. But recently her age has been dropped to year 15. Which for me makes no sense. What do you think?

I do not think the current Wookieepedia date can possibly be right. She may have been born as early as 20 but certainly not before 19. And here is why I think so.

First, she is not mentioned in the HoT books, only Valin who was 6 at the time. If she had been born prior to those books, which took place in 19 ABY, she would have probably been mentioned. Also if she was born in 19, as I read as another possible birth date, Mirax would have probably been pregnant when Karrde visited the Errant Venture or he would have asked about the new baby since he made it a point to ask about Valin. Maybe one could argue that he didn?t know, but this is Karrde we are talking about, he misses very little. He even knew about Corran?s short time training with the Jedi, I?m sure he would have heard about Mirax being pregnant and a new baby born.

Next, Jys is not present at the marriage of Mara and Luke, but Valin is. Also if Jys was born in 15, that would make her the same age as Syal Antilles, who was at the wedding.

Finally, the only "evidence" that I've encountered that makes Jys possibly older than what we've originally thought is a brief mention of her in Dark Tides 1. However, I could not find the passage that mentions her today when I skimmed through the book. Supposedly, it mentions that she is a Jedi student at the Academy. If anyone knows which passage this is from please let me know.

I find it hard to believe that if she was a student, and would have been almost 10 when the Vong attacked Yavin, why wasn't she mentioned in that book. Why would Valin rush off with Sannah and Tahiri without his sister? Or better still, why would he leave her and go off alone?

I will concede that it is possible that Jys is as old as Myri Antilles, who was born in 18 and would make them 21 or 22. But then again, why was Jys missing from the wedding of Luke and Mara, when Myri was there. At the wedding Myri was a year old.

But the best support that the Wookieepedia date is really wrong is in Union. Where Valin and Syal are talking about Myri and Syal asks Valin if he has a little sister and he says no.

In my opinion, any mention of her in DT1 as a student Jedi is wrong, or just poorly thought out. And Del Ray has never done that before, now have they? :rolleyes:

<<<<SPOILERS>>>>

#1: What did you think of Inferno? Particularly Ben's role in it.

I have to say that each of the LotF books keep getting better and better. However, I did find whole sections of it rushed. But overall I enjoyed it greatly.

Now for Ben..........OMG...:eek: I really hope someone gets to that boy and talks some Light Sided sense into him. (No, I'm not listening to any of the plot bunnies suddenly clammering in my head) He is just a bubbling pot of hate and anger right now. If he only realized that he is playing right into Caesus's hands.

It all was very sad to see him do some of the things that he was willing to do.. such as assassinate Omas only to get back into Jacen's good graces. Just so he could get close enough to kill him. That nearly broke my heart. :_|

However, what did break my heart was Tahiri in this. For the Love of the Force.... I hate what they did to her character!!!!! The duel with Leia nearly had me in tears. Partly because of what Tahiri did by spying for Jacen, but also because Leia nearly gave in to the Darkness to want to kill her. :_| :_|

FL @};-

18. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Dark Tide I stuff about Jys:

This is followed immediately by a discussion on the OJO and their kid snatching ways.

Dark Tide I is set 25 ABY, and as is noted earlier, Valin claims to not have a sister in 20 ABY during Union. Likewise, the quotes from Corran concerning Jysella tell NOTHING about her age. We know that she's at the Academy, but we dont' know if she's activiely training (just that she's spent more time there than with them, and compare that to Ben's first 3 years). As for the second quote, I'd tell my eldest boy similar things in regards to my infant son, so that doesn't provide any help.

But, TastyTaste over at the official site, says his notes give Jys a birthdate ~15ABY. But as we all know, postings in the forums, even the SW.com forums, are not canon.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've always felt like Jys was close to Ben's age, and I used to have the book passages to back it up (unfortunately I had that written on my old laptop that bit the dust, and I have yet to recover the info on it)
    But its really hard to tell... even Luke's age changes, some places say he was 18 in A New Hope and some say he was 19. I know not a big difference, but it still it shows that even major characters don't have an exact age, so for minor characters there's little hope.

As for Inferno... I really like it and Ben's roll in it as far as story line goes. Talk about drama! Though it did make me sad!

I didn't think Ben was dark in going to Omas, he wasn't actually going to kill him, he was going to make it look like he did to get close to Jacen again. But at the end when he yelled at Luke that the kill was his, it really scared me. Though he had been tortured for who knows how long and I can't really blame him for feeling that way.

I also hated the fact that he basically told Jacen to attack the Academy and to burn Kashyyyk, but I can see why he did and he did feel very bad about it. He thought he could use it to get closer to Jacen to kill him and potnetially save millions. Unfortunately he doesn't see that this is exactly how Jacen justifies what he is doing. The bottom line to me is, he is way to young to be making these kind of decisions. I think Luke is trying to protect him from it, but Ben in a teenager and we all know how hard it can be to control a teenager :p

So I guess it boils down to... I like it from the outside looking in because it creates excitement, but when I really get into the book I don't like it cause I love my Ben and I really don't want him doing some of the things he is doing!

I hope that made sense... I'm kinda tired!

20. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    I kind of read inferno in two hours so i definatly need to go back and re-read it before i can pass any kind of comment.

So on with the next, i looked up Jysella on Wookiepedia a while ago and ignored it, as my history teacher told me about wikipeida, its written by people like us.

As for Jysella's age, I'm thinking just a couple of years old in DT1 maybe two at the oldest, lets face it Mirax would have been out doing her job and corran off doing his, Its likly that Tionne and Kam were looking after the Jedi children of all ages, (as in Ben on Shelter) isn;t there something in Edge of Victory 1 where Tionne is carrying a baby? (i'll look when i get home, unfortunatly i've been banned from bringing in star wars books to work."

PHGS Weyr

P.S great discussion topics FL!

21. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I just wanted to comment on some of the things brought up so far.

First of all I agree with you all.

I too, as Kidan said, would tell my son things like that about his sister when she was a baby. As a parent we instantly begin to think of a baby as a person, especially when talking to younger children.

Also, is it possible that due to the war and Mirax's duties with the Smuggler's Alliance that she and Corran thought that Jys would be safer at the Academy with Tionne and Kam and with Valin? Besides, in the DT passage, it sounds as if Corran had been working at the Academy and Mirax was there too, so it's obvious that the toddler Jys would be too. I think that during the time of DT1 Jys was possibly 2 maybe 3 years old. Could it be possible that she was a "student" in the sense of learning the very basics of the Force like Luke taught the Solo kids? Heck, there may have been other kids her age there too, children of other Jedi. Remember, not all of Luke's Jedi ever received any page time but the few that we do know did have kids. Is there any canon reference to how young Luke took kids? We all know that the old academy took babies, could Luke have started that too if the parents were willing and were Jedi themselves and in a way keeping families together?

Yes, she was at Shelter with the rest of the Academy kids but so were the Antilles girls and I'm sure others as well. Both Force and non-Force sensitives and probably a few more babies like Ben and toddlers like Jys.

As for the "official un-official" comment about her age on SW.com, I don't buy it anymore than some of the stuff I've read on Wookieepedia. I think that really none of us will get a real date of birth until she is actually made a character in SW. And I bet that will more likely than not come from Stackpole since she is essentially one of his characters.

FL @};-

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    maybe Valin says no because Jys got killed? and there's another reference to Jys is EoV II: rebirth, when Mirax says that she's given birth twice.

23. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    For some reason, I always think of Jysella as being the same age as Myri Antilles. I have nothing to back this up, but it seems right in my head, so maybe some clue in the novels has subconsciously buried itself in my brain. Or maybe I'm just making up an age since there is no definitive birth date provided.

24. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    Hey guys! its now coming up on Halloween, i think we need a new topic and a new challenge.... any one got any ideas?

25. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    I'm back! :p What's new then? A new topic? Any halloween challenges?

PS > my Bittersweet Seduction fic is completed!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.