main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It does contradict renisthekey but for The Pawn I don't know - cannot remember

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The Pawn said DJ was killed by Phasma.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  3. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    He was fun, but not as involved as I expected him to be given who was cast.

Still confused about his nickname.

4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Going by Max Von Sydrow and now this, whenever we hear they cast a big name for Episode IX, we'll know it's just a cameo

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I was very confused by the whole insignia business .. I kept expecting him to turn around an flash a tattoo of the dual coloured flower or whatever it was. His existence was jarring.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  6. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I totally agree. When he appeared I was watching him super closely to see it.

7. General Jedi

General Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 19, 2017
    We know he's clever and apparently out for himself. No name yet and his story is still unwritten. So he has to be
    Ezra Bridger. It's still possible

Hopeless likes this.
  8. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    Is DJ dead
    Seems like it I didn't see anymore of him after holdo crashed the ships
    You know his whole character screams like they cut a lot of his scenes out because there is really so little

9. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Didn't care for his character at all.

10. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    It sucks because I was REALLY looking forward to his character and his dynamic with Finn. And then he ended up being a piece of **** that I didn't end up rooting for like I thought I would. It would suck for his story to just kinda end there and for him not to even be featured/mentioned in IX, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Movie was a mess.

11. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I wasn't expecting much from this character but then I saw the movie last night and oh my lord...HE STUTTERS! LIKE ME! You have no idea how liberating and validating it was to have a random character with a stutter and not make a big deal out of it! It was so wonderful! I just wish his character didn't end up a traitor...I was expecting him to come back in the end and save them Han Solo style. I hope he's not dead. He could still be the Lando of this trilogy, the sneaky character we think sold out the heroes only to become a hero himself.

I think I now have some idea how it feels for a minority to see their kind finally represented on-screen and in a STAR WARS movie no less!

Definitely left a nice impression on me. :)

Edit: Though I will admit when Maz was describing a charming rogue as the code breaker to look for I was wishing it would have been Lando himself!

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well that was a waste of BDT.

Django Fett likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    We'll see him again in other media, probably IX. No he did not die, unless he got off screen'd. I think BDT acted superbly. Is his bumbling/stuttering an act? It seems to be. Was he truly the master hacker Maz spoke of, or was he simply good? I bet those two questions were on your minds.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, not at all. I honestly didn't give a crap about him, he was a nothing character.

15. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Complete waste of screen time. Hope he gets that Gungan stutter thing worked out. (or whatever it was)

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Jack Sparrow of the galaxy far far away.

17. StarVars

StarVars Jedi Knight

Nov 21, 2016
    I really liked DJ. He called out the MIC, Smedley Butler style! Rad. He said another two word phrase after "Don't Join," I didn't catch it. Anyone? I'd love to read the quote from him about it being a machine, partner. Yes! Star PEACE. Think about it.

But I have to say, I'm not at all cool with this hollywood habit of giving morally bankrupt characters or villains speech impediments, some kind of disfigurement, etc. It's furthering a stigma about people that live with those challenges and it's bogus IMO. Why not have cute KMT stutter her way through the movie instead? Would have been a cooler subtext, instead of "don't trust the awkward stuttering weirdo"

18. cronus33

cronus33 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Unpopular opinion, apparently, but I enjoyed this character. Worked for me.

19. cronus33

cronus33 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Unpopular opinion, apparently, but I enjoyed this character. Worked for me.

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  20. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Yep, I liked his character, kinda funny but malicious in a way, they didn’t show if he’s dead tho, I suppose that when Holdo crashes the ship he flew on a ship, I don’t expect him to show up in EPIX if they do a time jump, but maybe he will appear in a book or animated series.

He’s our Lando/Hondo and did a fine job.

21. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
  22. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

Me too. Thought he was great, honestly.

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    He's nowhere near as impressive or complex as either of those guys. He's a plot device, nothing more.

24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    As as stutterer I admit I was disappointed he turned out to be a traitor and that was it. I was hoping he'd pull a Lando and help them in the end but he never came back. I'm sitll hoping he will redeem himself in episode XI! I think his stutter was real. Why would a conman deliberately fake a stutter?

25. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I think DJ is a great character. I have a feeling he's not all bad.... something's up his sleeve. A bit Hondo, a bit Lando.