main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    For whatever it's worth I agree with you. Thrawn sucks, his character sucks, his design is weak, and those stupid lizard things were off the charts bad. Let that Blue Man Group reject be.

Actually no, I hope that's his ship crashed into Jakku. Hope he went down screaming and on fire

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Say, May the Force be with you."

"May the Force be with you."

"In English, please."

"Excuse me?"

"In English, please."

"May the Force be with you, what the ****?"

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Del Toro in Star Wars. How awesome is that!? :D

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I was just thinking how Del Toro could play into the story as it already seems we already have our Vader (Kylo) and Emperor (Snoke). Perhaps Del Toro would be the new Tarkin-like character taking the place of Hux after hux seemingly dies in TFA. However that thought seems kind of blah to me.

On the other hand, since we now know the concept of the Knights of Ren will be introduced in TFA and likely expanded upon in VIII, perhaps he will be playing one of these knights. Maybe Del Toro is the true head honcho of the knights and Snoke is just the guy who is in charge of the First Order, but Del Toro plays the guy who founded the Knights of Ren or something along those lines. I just think Del Toro is way too badass of an actor to play some military offer who ranks below a couple of people. He is a big name Oscar winner and comes across of a creepy bad guy so much, that he HAS to play someone with great powers or influence who orchestrated the whole thing.

Time will tell. But since the Knights of Ren seems like a cult of some sort, who is to say they are like sith and can only be two of them. In fact, I picture the Knights of Ren having 7 members (The Seven), so I would imagine there is room for introducing more of them other than just Snoke and Kylo. It could go deeper and darker than we are told about in TFA.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Perfect and del Toro will be great as villain. =D=

8. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    That we're even talking about a concept like this in a Star Wars film is magical to me. This is fantastic stuff.

I also hope del Toro is more than just "Episode VIII's Tarkin". I agree with everything you say there.

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  9. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    It's not what he plays but how he plays it. Even if it were something like an officer, I wouldn't expect an interpretation remotely similar to what we've seen before with Tarkin and others. That's just one approach and what people are used to but hardly the only way to play it. Good actors find ways to take ordinary-sounding parts and make them interesting, sometimes in unexpected ways that make you see the position in a completely different way. That's why they're good actors...if you wanted a stiff, generic bad-guy officer like most of the minor OT Imperial guys, you could cast almost anybody.

Just thinking of some war films consider Damien Lewis's interpretation of Dick Winters in Band of Brothers, and then compare to say Tom Berenger's SSG Barnes in Platoon (technically an NCO, I know, but functionally the leader of the unit). Both were smaller unit-level leaders--IIRC Winters only went as far as a Battalion commander in the series but started as a rookie 2nd LT without a command...that didn't stop them from being great characters, and they're almost polar opposites demonstrating what can be done with those kinds of roles. And there are many other similar examples even within just those two films.

So provided the personality of the character is right for del Toro, and it's well-written, I'm not too concerned with what it is or where he falls on the depth chart. Positions and rank don't make a character cool, it's the writing and acting. As a villain, if he poses a credible threat to the heroes and is interesting, he could be almost anything.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  10. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Good points. Del Toro is quite a dangerous, edgy actor. I can't see him playing a by-the-book military figure. If he is an Imperial Officer, I think he would be quite a departure from any we've seen so far.

IMO, he'd be a great fit for a character governed by their passions, rather than a more authoritarian figure. Perhaps an evil warlord, or Emperor.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Behold: the casting of REN!

Blazer-Smith, Satipo and nightangel like this.
  12. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
  13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

A powerful Knight of Ren could be very cool.

Blazer-Smith and Luukeskywalker like this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, as a Spanish I can say the says he plays "kind of" the villain. So I think Snoke and Kylo are safe with this one.

15. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I said this earlier, but since it's come up again, I would imagine that big picture plans are in place for Kylo and Snoke, but there's always a Jabba the Hutt or General Grievous that they could need. Most movies with too many villains suck, so I would hope they're not going that route.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

TheBBP likes this.
  17. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Phoenix hates green screen.

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    That sucks.

19. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm not sure that Phoenix declined the "role".

He certainly declined the "opportunity" of having further discussions regarding a "possible" role in Episode 8.

20. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I'd like to think he'd play a force-sensitive general. As in, his ability in the Force is more mental than physical. He'd be as brilliant as Thrawn and be in-fighting with Kylo and his Ren knights as to which faction should be in charge.

21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    is it possible Del Toro isn't with the First Order he's leader of the remnants of the Empire and the First Order and the Resistance are forced to join forces to defeat them.:p

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Somewhere JJ Abrams is weeping over Del Toro's inability to keep his damn mouth shut about his involvement in episode 8.

23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    He could be a Knight of Ren

Rian Johnson, you mean?

Dewback likes this.
  24. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Something tells me that Lucasfilm won't be nearly as tight-lipped with 8/9 and the anthologies as they have been with TFA.

25. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    He's either a gangster like character, someone like Jabba the Hutt. He also could be a motion capture character as well, we really don't know that either, OR he's the very FIRST Ren and left the Knights of Ren a few years before the events of The Force Awakens.

Hard to tell, the future is.