main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I just can't imagine Del Toro doing motion capture work. Takes a certain type of actor, and IDK, I think we will see him either as fully human, or at least a recognizable humanoid alien. I'd love for him to be this trilogy's Jabba, a dangerous gangster, and have his arc play out over 8 and 9. Maybe Leia has to make a deal with him for something the Resistance needs and he back stabs them…The "kind of a villain" part of Del Toro's answer could imply there's some kind of turn for his character. Meaning he starts out an obvious villain but ends up helping the heroes in some way, or vice versa, he's a rogue at the start but someone they are willing to trust, only that trust gets broken in a really big way.

Might be too much of a retread of ESB. But it could be interesting if Del Toro's character and Han had a history together, so Finn or Poe or Leia seek assistance/shelter/help hiding from him, only for him to "throw them under the shuttle" so to speak.

2. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    He has a distinct face that...There's no way he's doing motion capture.

Rodie likes this.
  3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    My suspicion and ultimate hope is that Benicio plays a key secondary villain, like a crime lord or a bounty hunter, so that he's the Tarkin/Jabba/Boba Fett/Jango Fett/General Greivous of the ST.

dekaneas likes this.
  4. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    Same. Star Wars has always had that underworld element to it, but aside from the rescue mission at the beginning of RotJ it's mostly been explored in the EU/Legacy. An active gangster who wields enough power to command respect from the major factions (or be a target of one or more of them) is something I've hoped for since the ST was announced.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    so does lupita n'yongo.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    With the director and Del Tor, this is shaping up to be a really interesting movie.

Have any other major actors been named?

And remind me, I know Rian is writing the screenplay, but who's story is it?

7. Rey771

Rey771 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 10, 2015
    Interesting that Del Toro mentions shooting starting in March. Not sure whether he is referring to himself personally, or the whole film in general. I was reading the new interview in The Guardian with Anthony Daniels, and that one says January for Episode 8. If that's the case then Del Toro won't be involved in the first few weeks of shooting.

8. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah I'm thinking along the lines of Jeff Daniels in Looper.

9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  11. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Thrawn again?Some people will never learn...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Well, I think he is playing a First Order officer,
    after all rumors say Hux dies at the climax of the film so we need somebody to be the military threat. As for Thrawn, if you read the last part of Aftermath, you would see what is helping fuel those rumors.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    But photoshop
    [​IMG]

14. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So does Andy Serkis.

thejeditraitor and Rabs like this.
  15. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe he'll be like Tyber Zann and rule his own crime consortium.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Maybe he will be a Thrawn rip off...?

Then again I thought for sure MVS was going to be an imperial officer (because he has that command presence in bucket loads) and I was way off so... In fact - I think I was off with almost every single actor (besides the returning ones and Ridley) when I predicted who they would play! [face_plain]

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I don't think Del Toro will be Thrawn, but he'd look the part. At the same time, we shouldn't count out the Grand Admiral not appearing by other mean whether comic or novel. Of all the old EU characters, Thrawn is most definitely one, and probably one of the few, big enough to adapt into the new Universe.

Probably not as a movie character though.

18. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think he will play a secondary villain like the head of a crime syndicate, a pirate or a bounty hunter. He may very well be the main villain for Ep. 8 but won't take over as the main bad guy in the trilogy.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The casing of Del Toro is on the lines of those crazy rumors about Gary Oldman or even Daniel Day Lewis because we're talking about an actor who is up there in that realm (well at least somewhere between Oldman and Lewis which is still WAY the hell up there). Pretty damn exciting.

20. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I've been imagining this character as a knight of ren (kylo's rival) who has connections with the pirating/criminal underworld.

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I certainly hope not. A Military Officer to Star Wars is as A Mandatory Presentation on a Time Share is to Free Resort Vacation

22. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I naively attended one of those presentations in Las Vegas, whilst staying at the Venetian last year. I have yet to receive my tickets to the Evil Dead musical.

23. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

So in a series entitled Star Wars which a huge chunk of the plot deals with opposing military forces and about 90% of the main cast held a military rank at some point, speculating that an actor who nabbed a villain role might be playing a military officer on the bad guy side is cliche?

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Nah, I'm guessing he's a gangster/mafia type, not anyone with the First Order directly. Look at ANH...We had Tarkin, a strong Imperial military presence, but then after ANH, Vader became that and the Imperial officers were basically secondary, undeveloped and kind of forgettable. I'm guessing Ep 8 will mirror this. We will spend more time with Kylo and he'll be seen as the military commander after Hux's death, and they aren't bringing in Del Toro for a small part as a First Order Officer who just answers to Kylo. I think he'll be a wildcard bad guy

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think it will be exactly like this.