main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    For me DJ was a good character- unfortunately his role was very small. I think he may actually return in IX if he didn't die off-screen. It may be that he is not never seen again though but I think he worked and even stutter added something to his character. He is the most scoundrel of all scoundrels in the Star Wars really- he is the anti-Lando of sorts- he is completely untrustworthy opportunist that does whatever is the best for him with no regrets at all.

If someone has not yet theorized this... maybe he is Rey's lost father:cool: - he is exactly 'nobody' enough to match the description Kylo gave about Rey's parents- maybe he faked his death. Ok bad theory but I think it's still more plausible than some theories about Snoke after TFA [face_whistling]

I think Hondo Ohnaka is that though, or even Han Solo in some form- actually I think Jack Sparrow in the first POTC was like Han Solo in drugs.

Swan_007 likes this.
  2. mddbatman1

mddbatman1 Jedi Padawan

Jul 17, 2015
    But he was not the Master hacker that they were looking for, the master hacker was the guy at the craps table with the red rose brooch. But they were arrested before they could meet him.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    it's very possible DJ could have gambled away the brooch and that other guy won it. Red brooch = red herring...

Sudooku and Siphonophore like this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  5. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Could someone tell me if the ship DJ stole on Canto Bight was the same as the ship leaving Jakku in Rey's vision?

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  6. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Canto Bight, should have been cut all together or the very least cut down. His good guy, bad guy thing, only thing made it somewhat interesting. Don’t think BDT, needed the stutter though.

7. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    DJ was a fun minor antagonist.

Mungo Baobab and Darth Smurf like this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The more I rewatched TLJ the more I fell in love with his character.

9. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Honestly he's one of the few parts of the film I enjoyed. Is he dead now?

10. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Agree 100%. He was good enough to get Rose and Fin what they wanted (at no cost), and get his payout by turning them in to the FO.

11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I loved DJ. Great character. I hope they find a way for him to return in IX.

Siphonophore likes this.
  12. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Part of me thinks that IF he comes back in IX, it should start off with Finn tracking him down like Cassian in RO. Except he arrests him instead of outright kills him. But that's only if they bring him back.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Totally loved DJ's slippery nature in this. Yes, perhaps his betrayal can be seen coming from miles away, but I love his ambiguity from the start. Unlike Lando who was put in an extremely difficult position in ESB, I loved seeing how DJ was constantly angling himself to gain the upper hand in any situation. Bravo Benicio.

Siphonophore and Mungo Baobab like this.
  14. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    DJ was definitely more Hondo then Lando, and I think that this loveable but completely untrustworthy rogue will be back and will probably end up double crossing the FO, or maybe not.

Siphonophore likes this.
  15. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016

I believe the James Bond-esque guy with the white tux was a spotter. People approach him for help and he relays to DJ who then approaches them on his own terms. DJ knew Finn and Rose were looking for him so he inconspicuously contacted them in jail where he literally walks right out of. He problem broke into jail to set up a meet and greet.

It would make sense if this was the case because if you were a master codebreaker why would you display yourself so carelessly?

Siphonophore likes this.
  16. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm wondering how people would react if he instead turned out to be a Knight of Ren?

17. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    When he gave back Rose's necklace he won me over. What a nice guy. Well, they ruined that pretty soon, and for zero reason.

18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I have a hunch we'll see him again in IX. Like Cantina Regular theorizes, I think DJ works in conjunction with The Master Codebreaker, and DJ could actually be The Master Codebreaker, but we can use TMC as a placeholder name for Justin's character until/if we learn his true name. I'm hoping we'll see the two of them band together with Maz, Lando, Crimson Corsair, Quiggold, and many other space pirates..... not necessarily joining The Resistance, but throwing a wrench in The First Order's attempts to rule the galaxy.
    What were Maz and Rose calling the identifying marker on The Master Codebreaker....... "red plum brooch", or "red plomme bloom", or something else? Who knows.... maybe Rian is throwing in a Brothers Bloom reference, and the two are brothers.

19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    that would be a fun reveal. Maybe the Knights of Ren became unaffiliated with the First Order and became mercenaries after it became apparent Snoke was only interested in Kylo, but they still do jobs for the FO. It would explain their absence and why the First Order didn't murder DJ on the spot to close off a loose end.
    The best part is, he's a mercenary so DJ for "Don't Join" still flies true.

Hopeless likes this.
  20. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    This character encapsulates so much of what went wrong in this film. Basically this dude changes from good to bad so many times and in such random/pointless fashion, all to serve a plot that was much ado about nothing.

Rickleo123 likes this.
  21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    DJ was a really boyish character in a lot of ways. He seemed genuinely happy to give Rose her medallion back. He was happy she was happy.

But he doesn't have any real ethics or morality at all.

He's a street kid. He just learned how to please himself and survive.

And actually he's the epitome of "gray."

Lulu Mars likes this.
  22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    No, different ships.

23. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Maybe DJ and Rose are gonna be the true romance in Episode IX lol. The emotion and tears that Rose was displaying when DJ was leaving? It wasn't about him betraying the Resistance, it was him betraying her heart. Boom that's love boi. Epic foreshadowing if you ask me

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    *oncafar is unamused* (sorry)

I just find it interesting that he's capable of basic animal emotional empathy without any morality. He can be pleased when he makes someone happy, but then doesn't care at all about them. I think he wanted to help Finn and Rose up until they got caught. Then he is able to just move on.

He was also trying to give Finn what he thinks is good advice and there is a bit of a desire to "help" in that. But again he doesn't really care ultimately.

This kind of thing is why I think he was a street kid. He was probably an orphan scrapping to get by and he's very clever. But there's something fundamentally missing. He follows like the POTC pirate code basically.

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It's just business.