main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    If Rebels wasn't still running by the time TLJ drops in December I would be more apt to buy that BDT is Ezra. But since Rebels will still be running at that point (They may be on a hiatus for the Holiday) It would spoil Rebels and Ezra's fate by including him in TLJ, now sure they could change his name, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go through for what many seem is an unimportant Animation Character.

2. psyarg

psyarg Jedi Knight

Mar 3, 2015
    The D is for Doctor.[​IMG]

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

3. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015
    Do you think they won't lie? Do people think that if we guessed DJ = Ezra that they would be like, yep you caught it/us.....? No they would lie and tell everyone they are wrong. I mean We know Khan isnt in Star trek am I right?

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Can we all please let the "Khan isn't in Star Trek Into Darkness" thing go? Please? It's been, like, four years. A guy that's known for secrecy lied about an obvious twist once, and no one has been able to shut up about it even on films he's not involved in. It's time to move on.

Let me give you one reason why del Toro isn't Ezra Bridger: because most people wouldn't care. About 98% of the moviegoing population hasn't seen Star Wars Rebels, and that 2% is me being generous. It would be a meaningless reveal/twist/whatever for the majority of the audience, and not worth the secrecy for the people who'd get it. And yeah, Forrest Whitaker ended up playing Saw Gerrera in Rogue One, but that wasn't an in-movie reveal, we knew about that months and months before. They didn't pull the, "He's not explicitly named in the movie but here's his on-set codename it'll make sense after you see it ;) ;) ;)" stuff on us in some pointless act of subterfuge. To say nothing of the fact that Ezra is meant to be Middle Eastern (our world), while del Toro is Puerto Rican.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    Pablo Hidalgo has no reason to lie about this, what would he gain? Not a thing.

Doom_Buggy and oncafar like this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    And the J is for Jones. Meaning that DJ is actually Indiana Jones.

7. Dareth

Oct 20, 2015

First time I have ever brought it up, But again do you think if someone did ever guess who he is or was supposed to be they would tell you? Can we please let the *they wont lie* bs go? I personally don't think its Ezra, but saying just because Palbo said this or that doesnt make it true, Ok? K Good.

General Jedi likes this.
  8. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    So when that character in the start of the force awakens talks about leia always being royality to him and he knew kylo before he was evil do people get mad that they dont know who this guy is? The movie told us everything there is to know about him.

But if that character is explored more in comic books/books down the road people who WANT to know more about him can read these books.

So IF lets say bdt were to be ezra im sure the movie will tell the general audience everything they'll need to know about him but if peoplr WANT to see his back story then they could go back and watch star wars rebels.

Chances are its not him, but the reason why people say it couldnt be him (not everyone has seen rebels) doesnt prevent this from happening.

I just find it interesting that disney would make a show before a new hope and show you 3 jedi...that are not really jedi. Kanan (well..he might be jedi since if im not mistaken wasnt he knighted in one of the episodes?) Ezra and Ashoka who left the order.

I feel like its possible the shows trying to show us the beginnings of a new way. Jedi that are not really Jedi. I feel like whatever luke is referring to in the last jedi trailer could be a teaching that qui gon was leaning on and maybe kanan, ezra, and ashoka were more like. Force users trying to follow the will of the force and not what a jedi order tells them to follow throug the republic.

Anyways im kinda going off subject.

General Jedi likes this.
  9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't think Pablo is lying or misleading here. He debunked any "BDT is Thrawn" and "BDT is Ezra Bridger" theories. I was personally never sold on those theories anyway, but the ship has definitely sailed by now.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    If someone says "DJ" to me, then I instantly think of Disc Jockey. Jockey sticks out and connecting that to the Last Jedi could mean he's involved in the Fathier Racing on Canto Bight. He'd essentially be a Dubrovnik Jockey or Derby Jockey. It might also explain the monitors in his picture that remind us of Han Solo's ship that contained the Rathtars. DJ has Fathier cargo.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As a longstanding 76ers season ticket holder, I happen to think Benecio Del Toro is a horrid casting choice for Doctor J.

I suppose the resemblance is there but I just can't see him pulling off a skyhook.

[​IMG]

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Man. When Dr. J pulled off that reverse lay-in move (1980, game 4 of the NBA finals) I was certain he was force sensitive, and probably a Skywalker.

13. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

1. Pablo and Matt Martin weren't responding to anyone in particular, on both occasions Pablo was making light of wacky theories in the media and online that are based on absolutely nothing.

2. They don't lie, pablo simply doesn't answer things. If they are completely bogus, like DJ = Ezra, he shuts it down. Just like the Plagueis = Snoke nonsense, he shuts it down. When questions go into that grey area he tells people to wait and see in the movie.

3. J.J. Abrams admits lying about Star Trek 2's Khan was a mistake https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-admits-lying-about-star-trek-2s-khan-was-a-1475078061?IR=T

The "Khan excuse" is such a strawman. the studio basically stuffed up the marketing because they had this stupid idea that marketing Khan would not appeal to the mass market.
    The "Khan excuse" has nothing to do with trying to hide characters real identity in the star wars world.

oncafar likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    JJ Abrams is not making TLJ nor did he name the character.

Mungo Baobab and Gigoran Monk like this.
  15. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Yeah, but it's the "go-to" argument to try stop any critique of a pet theory on character identities.

16. General Jedi

General Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 19, 2017
    BDT will develop into a totally new character because we most likely won't know anything about his history. Just the character he is now in the movie. They'll either tell us his past in the story or they'll leave it open to maybe answer in another trilogy or stand alone. I'm sure they're hoping his character is good enough to make a stand alone about him one day in the future.

From his latest released picture, it looks to me he'll be similar to the gangs that were after Han Solo in TFA. That's my only real prediction. Couldn't tell ya much more.

But I will always be a fan of the Ezra theory. It won't be truly answered for decades! ;)

oncafar likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think he will be the LST of episode VIII

oncafar and cerealbox like this.
  18. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015
    Space horse runs over him... a million fan theories die in thunderous applause. [face_devil]

oncafar and Darth Smurf like this.
  19. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    More likely he'll be the Lando of the sequel trilogy. Weren't there comments of his character operating in a morally grey area? Crait = Cloud City. DJ = Lando. The Resistance will be looking for help after getting driven away from D'Qar and they'll resort to trusting this 'DJ' and it could bite em in the ass (how else does the First Order show up there?).

20. Dareth

Oct 20, 2015
    It does have something to do with it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it has nothing to do with star wars. Yes they are different movies but people will lie to hide stuff. Again if you really think that they wouldn't lie to keep people guessing then I have a bridge to sell you......:rolleyes:

I am not saying they are for sure lying. I am saying is that they would/could lie to keep people off. But by all means come off as a know it all...Guess we should all ^:)^ to you since you know it all right? Heh.

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    DJ is Plagueis. Snoke is Ezra. Done. New Topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Why would pablo have to lie when he doesn't answer questions on spoiler-ish topics? You're suggesting he would go out of his way to generate a discussion on DJ, just so he has the opportunity to lie. [face_dunno]

He's shown time and time again that he refuses to answer some questions/theories and openly mocks other theories.

Just saying "all people lie thus pablo is lying" isn't an argument.

So when Pablo and Matt Martin openly mocked the DJ theories, with no one asking them about it at that time, they decided to start a discussion so they could lie to get out in front of people because one of the theories is correct? If that is your position, that's up there with conspiracies that disney was running disinfo campaigns during TFA.

23. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I just don't think they would stand to gain anything by lying about stuff. Which is why I don't buy into the whole lying thing. But hey I've been wrong more times than not.

Charlie07 likes this.
  24. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

that's my point. They don't have to lie because they simply don't answer those questions. When Pablo et al. mock theories it's precisely because they are so far out of the realm of possibility, they can talk about it. When pablo doesn't want to answer something, there's either no response or they say "wait for the movie". Obviously pablo et al. CAN lie, they just don't have to.

oncafar likes this.
  25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What about DJ is Snoke?

Darth_Articulate likes this.