main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ben's Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MidnightRain, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    What happened to Obi-Wan's lightsaber after Vader killed him? When Vader strikes him down, all that remains is Obi-Wan's cloak and his lightsaber. Did Vader keep it as a memento of the kill? Present it to the Emperor? (I remember reading something in the EU -- I think it was the Thrawn trilogy -- that mentioned that the Emperor had a collection of Jedi artifacts. He had Luke's severed hand and his lightsaber from ESB.)

Thoughts?

2. bouj

bouj Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2004
    I would think it was destroyed on the Death Star. Vader would have taken it as a trophy and left it in his private quarters on the DS. Vader probably wouldn't have taken it with him to engage the rebels during the Battle of Yavin.

Maybe he took it to his quarters on the star destroyer he was based on before, he got to the DS. But there's no evidence of that, so it was probably on the DS.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think in the EU it is mentioned that Han and Leia's children find it in Bast Castle. Vader kept it as a trophy there. I think it was stated either in the Junior Jedi Knights books or the Young Jedi Knights books. I could be wrong though. You might have better luck asking in the LIT forum.

4. matrix_dark_jedi

matrix_dark_jedi Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    nothing is for sure, but may be he does what grievious do in the clone wars cartoons and colect trophies...

5. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I'd like to think he took it, and had a quick flash back of his old master and rememberd him lovingly for a split second, but then the Dark Side took over and he tossed it aside or something like that.

6. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    Yaeh it appears in the EU. Young Jedi Knights.

7. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    It's space dust.

I think in the EU it is mentioned that Han and Leia's children find it in Bast Castle.

This would mean that Vader would have taken it back out of his quarters to take with him in his starfighter, meaning that Vader would be anticipating the destruction of the space station, and therefore admitting defeat before he left the hangar.

That'd be out of character for him.

8. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    even if it was out of character, it happened

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    even if it was out of character, it happened

Where in the film did this happen? It didn't.

Sorry, the EU imo here breaks the character of Vader, he wouldn't have taken it along with him, expecting to lose.

10. Samot

Samot Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2004
    I can believe that Vader would keep it, but he wouldn't pack up his personal belongings and have them put in his Tie Fighter just in case something went wrong.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    ^^ Exactly.

Space dust.

12. asylumking

asylumking Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Also, since Vader was using the Dark Side, would he even want a reminder of his past, espescally if it belonged to his former master?

13. NtriusBIL

NtriusBIL Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't think that it would be out of character at all... he was the only skeptic of the Death Star and obviously knew that the Force could make extraordinary things happen.

14. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Also, since Vader was using the Dark Side, would he even want a reminder of his past, espescally if it belonged to his former master?

Well, the lightsaber of your master, defeated by you, would be a pretty good trophy. I'm w/Sith Magician though, space dust.

15. asylumking

asylumking Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Hmm...Didn't think of it that way...

16. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    Actually I belive it is covered in the Book Kenobi's Blade, Anakin Solo finds it in one of Vaders casltes. I think that is eihter in Lukes home, or In some kind of Jedi Temple hall of fame.

17. AllTamTranRatCheer

AllTamTranRatCheer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    Vader cursed the lightsaber and it disappeared with Obi. Now as for Bill Brasky, he stood about 8ft tall, and ate like 25 deer. Aside frm that though, I do not think there is a hall of fame.

18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    TLJ Edit: If that was all you had to say, you shouldn't have said anything.

19. Obi-Mundi

Obi-Mundi Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I don't believe there's really any reason for Vader to keep the saber. Its meaningless. He has his own lightsaber, no trophies needed, only the pursuit of power (Sith's point of view).

=Space dust (as well).....

good theories though.....

20. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    the cloak and saber tumble to the ground, vader approaches and steps on the cloak. turns to face the firefight erupting in the hanger. the blast doors shut in his face. realizing there is little he can do now he turns and sees the saber lying on the cloak.
    for a momen he stares at it. reaches with the force and picks it up. holding his former masters weapon, he begins to weep. fortunetly he is wearing a fearsome mask which hides his emotional outbursts. his tears go unnoticed.
    the saber he destroys hoping that the act will also erase his feelings and his memories of his old friend.

21. stormcloud777

stormcloud777 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2005
    I doubt DV was interested in something he had the skills to make himself.

They were probably gathered up and sent to Coruscant by Tarkin. Same thing the USmil does with ordinary war relics owned by war criminals. Boxed up and sent to some massive warehouse somewhere. :p

22. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    shortly after the destruction of the death star vader sits in his meditation chamber. contimplating his failure to defend the station. "who was that pilot? the force was strong with him"
    slowly he begins to understand that this rebel was being guided by obi wan. it was his presence he felt in the trench. he looks down in his hand he is holding the broken shell of his masters saber.
    "I am a fool" vader wispers to himself. the chamber opens and vader wonders to the waste basket (or what evre trash disposal system they have on a star destroyer) and throws the husk away.

23. wanderer-bkb

wanderer-bkb Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    Perhaps Darth Vader hung Obi Wan's lightsaber on his belt after he defeated him. That would explain how it survived the destruction of the Death Star.

24. bouj

bouj Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2004
    I've been thinking of how Ben's saber gets off the DS so that it can show up in the later EU stories.

Hypothetically, it coudl work like this:

After Vader killed OB1, he took the saber as a trophy. While the Death Star was in hyperspace traveling from Alderaan's system to Yavin, Vader went aboard the ISD Devastator (docked aboard the DS). According to various EU sources, the DS held a complement of star destroyers - 6 or so. Devastator was one of them, since it was Vader's flagship, the one that took down Tantive IV. He put the saber in his personal quarters on his flagship.

Once the DS reached Yavin, Tarkin deployed the ISD's to ensure nothing escaped the system (like at Hoth). The DS was destroyed, but the ISD's survived. Thus, OB1's saber, being on Devastator, survived the Battle of Yavin.

I have no proof of any of this. It's just a theory that fits the scenario.

25. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    As Luke blasted the door to the hanger bay, Vader was cut off from the rebels.

Obviousily they escaped.

Vader's next scene is with Tarkin discussing the Falcon being tracked.

Vader has no need for possessions. Neither did Anakin.

But Ben's saber is an ironic trophy.

Whose to say he didn't simply clip it to his belt behind his cape and had it on his person through out the battle of Yavin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.