main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Beside My Own Reflection-AU-OC's/Ani/Obi Complete 2/8!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm really glad of the direction this has taken. A much more in-depth look at the lives of our favorite Jedi and the sacrifices they make. I did note that Anakin did NOT take a picture of Obi-Wan with him. How truly sad.

Good job.

2. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Umm, should I point out that having Desmir and Anakin on the same side, let loose on the galaxy is asking for trouble and destruction? Especially since Anakin is NO LONGER A JEDI?

Thought I'd point that out. Lovely story.

3. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I couldn't get past that myself diane. I found it heartbreaking that he was drawn to pictures of every one of his family members except for the person that actually united them all. And now to be leaving without even speaking with him. :_|

I'm glad he hooked up with Des because he will probably need the companionship and resources that Des can bring with him. Hopefully they will find Shai soon and hopefully Shai will be able to help heal the rift in the family. [face_plain]

Great post oe. :)

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I always thought of Obi-Wan as head of the clan, not Xan. to me that makes it even sadder.

5. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Will obiwan never be hale's master again? or is this just for like a year or something? Cause i really dont wanna see hale stayed kicking out of the family like she is now for to long, of course Ji will be at the temple so maybe that will help. :confused:

And mace did tell anakin there doors will always be open, so anakin can easyly be a jedi again, once he has shai again, can't he? :confused:

And yes it's sad anakin didn't take a pic of obiwan with him, sighs shai will help those 2 i can feel it!

6. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    Horribly sad, yet wonderfully written...
    I hope eventually that the "family" will get back together, but alas, we must all follow where the muse leads us....even if it is not where we want to go!!

note to other readers: Do not read while listening to Johnny Lang..tends to make an emotional post that much worse!! :(

~The Captain

7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Shaindl [face_blush] Thank you for the kind words and for all of the help. :)

Bekah Shai will have his hands full for awhile. :(

dp Sad huh? Just wait for the follow up! :p

diane I'm glad someone isn't too disappointed! ;)

Seraphena The galaxy best brace themselves for those two! [face_laugh]

Sheila I guess he felt this was better than saying hurtful things. I'm wondering who will heal Shai? :_|

PK Obi is certainly head of this clan. :)

JTJG I wouldn't worry too much about Obi and Ani. They have been through tough situations before. :)

Captain The muse may lead us toward another happy ending. Just not in this book of the series. :(

Here is the last chapter before the epilogue. That will be up either Sunday or Monday and then I will get busy on Live What You Learn . I also think I may begin the next chapter of this some time next week, depends on how much time I get to write. Already have the first post in my wee tiny head. ;) Then I will alternate between the two fics. :)

CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

Setting his travel bags next to the door, Obi-Wan took a fortifying breath before turning to face the two figures who stood and watched him with anguished expressions on their youthful faces. Taking advantage of their silence, he allowed himself the pleasure of simply drinking in their beloved presence. He knew full well that this would have to sustain him for some time.

Lower lip trembling uncontrollably, Hale sniffed as she fought back a fresh wave of tears. "When will we see you again?"

Offering her a warm smile of affection, Obi-Wan made his way over and rested his hands on her shoulders. Studying her pixie like face, he felt a pang of regret as he was forced to face the fact that she would change drastically while he was gone and he would miss it. She would shed her childlike form and blossom into a beautiful and confident young woman.

"We?ll keep in touch often by message and holograms. I?m sure that Master Barriss will keep you so busy you won?t have much time to worry about what I?m up to," he assured her with a wink. "Just remember what I?ve taught you and allow yourself to learn all she has to show you."

Nodding in understanding, she threw her arms around his waist and held on as tight as she could. Returning her embrace, Obi-Wan?s gaze met Jivan?s over the top of her head, a wealth of emotion passing between them.

"Let me say goodbye to your padawan brother," Obi-Wan urged, gently disentangling himself from her grasp.

Moving back with reluctance, Hale watched through blurred vision as the two men embraced one another tightly. Hands desperately grasping handfuls of robe, Jivan pressed his lips against his mentor?s ear.

"I?m sorry it has taken me this long to understand why you did what you did. I hope that if I am ever faced with such a choice, I have the courage to act as you did."

Choking back a sob the words of acceptance inspired, Obi-Wan pulled back and smiled weakly at the young man before him. "That means a lot Ji. Thank you."

Facing the individual who had watched in silence from across the room, Obi-Wan raised a questioning eyebrow.

"I?m assuming I can count on you to come and visit me often?" he inquired curiously.

Shrugging in apparent unconcern, Xanatos pursed his lips before replying.

"I can?t very well leave you to your own devices. Those Witches get one good look at you and it would all be over in an instant. Next thing we know, we?ll be hearing rumors of some poor fool they have locked up and using for their pleasure."

While Jivan chuckled and Hale frowned in confusion, Obi-Wan shot his longtime friend a warning glare as he bent down to pick up his bags. Seeing his apprentice?s expressions sober, he sighed heavily as he sought to console them once again.

"It?s not forever you two! Just try to picture me off on an extended mission and go about your business," he ordered them sternly.

Receiving obedient nods from them, h

8. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Whoa. Obi, join the Council! Then you could make attachments legal!

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    While I like that Obi-Wan could be on the Council and help make very needed changes, I'm still with Anakin on this one. He should have never left Shai on the planet. I look forward to seeing what you are going to do about the situation....in your next fic.

Good job.

10. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Obi-Wan did do the right thing. As usual, the Chosen Whatever is self-servingly self-righteous. Obi-Wan's owed an apology.

11. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    ..."Just imagine the type of reforms we can make if we out number the members who still cling to the ancient laws. Give it some thought."

I can just imagine the smile on Qui-Gon's face at the thought of his Obi-Wan on the council and the changes that could come around because of it.

Can't wait for the next fic!

~Bek

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    But Diane, self-sacrafice is part of being a jedi.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Kitara, I don't see it as self-sacrifice. I see it as expedience. Obi-Wan made a choice to bring back Anakin - for a number of reasons but I don't think self-sacrifice was among them. Bowing to the Council's demands yes, bringing back a very ill Anakin yes, even accepting Shai's request as a genuine attempt to help others yes but self-sacrifice on Obi-Wan's part would have been to rescue Shai at all costs. And not only didn't he do that but he made sure none of the others did as well. Sorry, doesn't cut it in my book. So he's doing penance - so what? Shai is still a prisoner.

Here Anakin made the real sacrifice - to leave the Jedi after all that time to rescue Shai knowing that he would not be able to come back, knowing that Obi-Wan (his Master/father) didn't agree or accept his reasoning, knowing that he is throwing his Jedi life away for the love of his Padawan. No, here Anakin was the one making the self-sacrifice.

I think everyone needs to divorce themselves from lovely Obi-Wan and bratakin Anakin and look at what each one has done.

As a mother, no one, NO ONE would prevent me from rescuing my child. And if Obi-Wan had the attachment to Shai that he said he did, no order from all-mighty Yoda or anyone else in the Jedi would stop him either.

Obi-Wan is being a good Jedi, following the rules. But, of them all, I admire Anakin the most because he did what he must, no matter the personal cost.

Good job on the fic, though.

14. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Wonderful post oe. I love that Jivan has been able to find acceptance in what Obi-Wan has done and that he also has the support of some Council members. I think having him on the Council would be entertaining. :)

15. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Obiwan being on the council would be awesome, cause then better changes could be made, but if he does that then he wont be able to be hale's master once he gets back or could he? I really wanna know, i dont know all the jedi rules. Help!

16. Captain_Observant

Dec 15, 2002
    Great post as usual O_E
    Obi-wan on the council could be very interesting indeed...

Diane, I think that you bring up a very good point. Anakin is truly the one who is going all out to rescue Shai. He is giving up his way of life for the person he loves. That is something highly admirable and commendable.

But I do think you are being slightly harsh on Obi-wan. No, I am not trying to sanctify him. He like everyone else has his faults, and we see them all to well in this story. I was not happy at all to see him abandon Shai. I would have much preferred he go all out for his son. Shai was obviously willing to do this for Anakin, and Anakin is now doing it for him.

But I think that the main reason Shai stayed was because he wanted to. Yes, Obi-wan agreed to leave him behind, but it was at Shai?s own request. Obi-wan did not have much choice, and the choice he did make was guided by his Jedi upbringing, not his heart. Shai put the bargain on the table, leaving Obi-wan little option. He was forced to give his word that they would not attempt anything or else Anakin would be hurt. And it was for Anakin?s safety that Shai made the bargain in the first place.

No, Obi-wan was not self-sacrificing, but he did give Shai the thing he needed the most at the moment: trust. Shai asked to be left, and Obi-wan proved that he loved him by trusting his decision, by placing faith in his decision. Though you may not feel that this is a sign of love, I think that it is. I have made important choices in my life that my parents did not like, but they understood why I was making them. They gave me their trust by not preventing me from doing what I had to do. To me this was just another form of proof that they loved me and had faith in me. It showed that they respected my ability to make decisions and that they believed that I was not only capable of making them on my own, but dealing with the consequences.

And that is how Obi-wan showed his love to Shai, through faith:
    "I have no doubt that you will find a way to come home."

Though it is not nearly the sacrifice that both Anaking and Shai made for each other, I think Obi-wan?s trust in Shai, and his willingness to allow Shai to make his own decisions are commendable in their own way.

Wow, I believe that is the longest reply I have ever written. And if you think that it is total crap, that?s fine. I won?t be offended. ;)

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Captain - I thought your response was wonderful and also brought up a very good point.
    Though it is not nearly the sacrifice that both Anaking and Shai made for each other, I think Obi-wan?s trust in Shai, and his willingness to allow Shai to make his own decisions are commendable in their own way.

Mine was merely that Obi-Wan was not sacrificing himself for Shai as several people had implied. Yes, he does trust Shai to make the right decision. However, Shai didn't really stay of his own volition but was forced to stay in order to help those he loved. Since that decision was forced upon him, I would feel no compunction about ignoring it and rescuing him at the appropriate time. Obi-Wan did not do this. I guess I'm seeing it from a mother's point of view rather than from a son's POV - I admit a rather emotional one at that. If my daughter were being held against her will and she asked that I take my other daughter to safety and NOT return for her, I'd agree and then ignore that agreement. It's not a matter of trust but of a realization of the situation and what was forced upon her.

Shai isn't staying because he wants to but because he is forced to. Obi-Wan has made no attempt to rescue Shai and has alienated himself from the one person willing to do so. I don't think I'm being harsh but if I were talking to Obi-Wan, I'd be kicking his butt.

18. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent! I love when a story breeds discussion like this. :)

OE, great post and I loved what you added. Even more so, considering what I wrote you in a PM before I read this. Great minds and all, as we've proven in the past. :D

Cheers on another wonderful story!

Shaindl

19. Captain_Observant

Dec 15, 2002
    Diane,

It is nice to look at this issue from two different sides: You from the standpoint of the parent, and I from the standpoint of the child.

Yes, Shai?s decision was made under duress, but he still knew what he was doing, what he was getting himself into. If I were to sacrifice my freedom so that my parents could take my siblings to freedom, I would be upset if they tossed aside my gift and put everyone at risk for me. I know that it would be probably very hard for them to leave me, but I would want them to accept my sacrifice. I would want them to know that I would give them anything in order to save my family, and I would not want them to put their safety into jeopardy after I just gave up my freedom for it.

But now that Anakin and the family have been saved, I think that it is right that they go and search for him. Shai gave up his freedom so that the others could leave in safety and Anakin could receive medical treatment. This has happened, and now it is time for them to repay the sacrifice. Anakin is doing this, and sadly Obi-wan is not.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not blame Obi-wan for leaving him behind. As much I wish he hadn?t I can not get angry with him for doing what was asked of him, for putting trust in his son?s decision.

But I will admit I wish he would do something now other than run off for a little quiet time with dreams of a council position dancing in his head.

And quite frankly at this point in the story, I will do nothing from stopping either you or Anakin from kicking his butt ? not for leaving Shai behind, but for not trying to get him back now.

~The Captain

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually Captain that is my point exactly. I didn't like that Obi-Wan left without Shai but I do understand it and accept Shai's sacrifice. And, as you pointed out, now for him to go off to Dathomer on a nice little "vacation", Council dictated or not, and leave Shai to fend for himself is unacceptable to me. And to ignore Anakin's sacrifice is doubly unacceptable.

As for butt kicking, if I see him, I'll be sure to do just that. And knowing Obi-Wan's propensity for guilt, he might just turn around and let me do it, too....

21. Captain_Observant

Dec 15, 2002
    Well now that we are able to see eye to eye on the situation, I wonder the the heck the council can't?!!!

And knowing Obi-Wan's propensity for guilt, he might just turn around and let me do it, too....

I'm sorry, but the image of Obi-wan bending over for a good kick in butt is just way too funny!! :D

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    dp Obi could give it his best shot! :D

diane Thre ideas for the follow up are boiling away! :D

honour Interesting you feel that way considering the response from most of my readers so far. ;)

Bekah Qui would be laughing away wouldn't he? :p You won't have to wait long at all for me to start the follow up.

PK I'm assuming you refer to Shai, in which case I agree. :)

Sheila It would certainly be interesting! Your rogue Obi laying down the law. :eek:

JTJG The Council issue hasn't been decided yet. Obi may decide to reject the offer. :)

Shaindl We do tend to think alike don't we? :eek: Once again I have to offer you a big hug for helping and suffering through my posts not once but twice! You are the best! [face_love]

diane and Captain I can say with all honesty that I agree with points that both of you made. In poor Obi's defense, my mind set when writing it was that Obi couldn't break those old habits of taking care of his own apprentices, thus the decision to rescue Anakin. Shai is eighteen in this fic so he made the choice as an adult, not a child unlike that drat Melida/Daan ( ;) ) situation. As for Obi-Wan not going after Shai now, the boy isn't his apprentice, he's Anakin's. Yes he's his son ( clone) but they didn't have the normal relationship that most of us have with our parents. Shai was actually closer to Anakin then Obi. Help any? :) Love that this stirred some pretty strong emotions!

Okay here is the epilogue, although it doesn't feel like we are done, does it? [face_plain] I hope you all follow along with the follow up, I have some surprises in store. :D A few faces from OT world will be making appearances and I think it will be fun to play with. The first post will be up in the next day or two and then hopefully I can focus on my other fic. Thank you for reading this and supporting the series and my family so warmly. Love ya all! [face_love]

EPILOGUE

One year later

The hum of the huge transports engines and occasional burst of its thrusters was not enough to drown out the sound of the two voices that were raised in anger. Uneasy glances from the crew members who were unfortunate enough to be in the general vicinity of the private office, were exchanged as they hurriedly rushed away.

Inside the opulently furnished room, Jadon leaned back in his black leather chair and studied his employee through narrowed red eyes. He felt a sense of deep satisfaction while taking in her agitated movements as she paced the confines of the room, her booted feet sinking into the lush grey carpet. A smirk tilted up the edges of his mouth as his admiring gaze drank in her well fit body in a tight fitting leather jumpsuit.

Becoming conscious of his piercing stare, Tarin halted directly in front of the black and white marbled desk, her hands lifting toward him in a pleading gesture.

"Please Jadon! You know how I feel about this, don?t make me return to that....that hell hole!" she begged in a ragged voice.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Jadon shrugged in apparent unconcern. "I would hate to make you do something you felt so negatively about my love. Although I will miss your capable presence, I won?t force you to stay."

Waiting as her face brightened into a huge relieved smile, he sat forward and began to tap the crystal globe that sat on the corner of his desk with a claw.

"Once we land, you can take a fighter and return to the home base," he assured her. "I?ll just have to hope your little playtoy can motivate himself in your absence."

The smile slowly bled from her face, uncertainty and fear fighting for prominence in her eyes as she shifted her stance.

"I assumed that he would remain with me," she admitted hesitantly.

Shivering as Jadon began to chuckle at her words, Tarin swallowed the lump forming in her throat. She had known him for years and was well aware that this was when he was at his most unpredictable and vicious. She fought to still her trembling l

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent. A whole year has passed. At least Shai had someone on his side. That the Jedi continue to ignore his plight does not speak well of them at all. I would have thought that, even though Shai did agree to stay with them, the Council would have tried to find him. If nothing else, then to make sure he wasn't doing anything wrong.

I'd like to know how old Obi-Wan and Anakin are at this point. Shouldn't Obi be getting old by now? And Anakin should be in his 40s?

24. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Another wonderful story come to an end! Like Diane, I like the turn you've taken with this - I think it will be a much more complex look at their lives. Beautifully done. You never have to thank me for helping you, you know - I love doing it. :)

And Diane, how do you know the Jedi haven't been looking for him? OE hasn't said anything about that one way or the other. ;)

Shaindl

25. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Obi is around 58 and Anakin and Des are 44 if I figure right. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.